Doolan

javeajag

I wrote on another thread that last season I didn't get a season ticket for the first time in many years.

I was thinking about renewing for the season ahead, even though I probably won't get to any games.

But that money will now get spent on other things.

I've been feeling a disconnect with the club of late that has been getting bigger and bigger. 

7 hours ago, Duck snort said:

2 seasons where the whole team has struggled and as a consequence the strikers have had a lot less chances. Kris didn't look quite as sharp this season but I'm convinced if he goes to a team that creates chances he'll take a fair share of them.

Shankland and Dobbie have been the yardstick by which all Championship strikers have been measured this season so it's worth looking at the league stats:

Shankland - 24 goals in 2622 minutes from 90 attempts

Dobbie - 21 goals in 2593 minutes from 115 attempts

Doolan - 6 goals in 2062 minutes from 39 attempts

Stats don't tell the whole story but Dobbie's conversion rate is only slightly better than Doolan's. What's most damning from those stats is how few chances we created for Doolan. I'd wager that Henrik Larsson at his best would have struggled for goals with Miles Storey providing the "crosses" from one flank!

Had he stayed I don't think any of us would have expected him to be the main man but he would surely have been worth a place as a squad man coming off the bench and making the occasional start. It's obvious from his comments on the radio tonight he wanted to stay and as someone who loves the club he would likely have been happy playing that lesser role while combining it with the coaching. Can you think of anyone who would be a better example to the kids in the academy? I think he's a major loss for the club.

Any idea how many of Shankland and Dobbie goals were penalty kicks?

9 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Doolan showed loyalty. If Caldwell got a better offer he will be of quicker than you can say power point.

Before I get shot down in flames again. The way it has been handled is terrible. BUT, it shouldn’t have been a total shock to him. Archie showed loyalty when offered the Shrewsbury job and got fired a few months later. Doolan didn’t just stay out of loyalty. He enjoyed working at Thistle. There is no loyalty from football clubs

37 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Before I get shot down in flames again. The way it has been handled is terrible. BUT, it shouldn’t have been a total shock to him. Archie showed loyalty when offered the Shrewsbury job and got fired a few months later. Doolan didn’t just stay out of loyalty. He enjoyed working at Thistle. There is no loyalty from football clubs

I think Archie turning down the Shrewsbury job out of loyalty is your spin.....it was a poor job at a club going nowhere and wasn’t a step up from us those were the reasons ....they have had 3 mangers in the last two years .... a bigger job and he would have gone 

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think Archie turning down the Shrewsbury job out of loyalty is your spin.....it was a poor job at a club going nowhere and wasn’t a step up from us those were the reasons ....they have had 3 mangers in the last two years .... a bigger job and he would have gone 

One of those managers went onto a Championship club. Although he bombed there. But Shrewsbury financially are a bigger club than Thistle. Last season they made a profit of over 1 million. And they got to the promotion play offs as well.

8 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

One of those managers went onto a Championship club. Although he bombed there. But Shrewsbury financially are a bigger club than Thistle. Last season they made a profit of over 1 million. And they got to the promotion play offs as well.

They sold land to Lidl and sold three players and it’s not profit it’s cash in the bank.....all of which happened after Archie turned them down

56 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Archibald was not given permission by Thistle to speak with Shrewsbury, so he never even met with them, never mind being offered the job.

After digesting this news and reading this particular page on the forum it is clear that it has divided opinion rather violently. I would say more people are upset than are bothered about it. I don't think the issue is all about the fact that Doolan was released, it was the way it was handled, similar to the Erskine move. Totally inept and amateurish. The main three protagonists at the club, Low, Britton and Caldwell have shown a distinct lack of class over these issues and a few more. That is the worrying thing for me about this particular season. Since the new year Low and Britton have largely been hiding. The promised regular communication never materialising.

On the Doolan issue we have lost an upstanding g member of the whole Scottish football community. A guy who us clearly respected by his fellow professionals. I have no doubt wherever he goes he will be an asset to them and may come back to haunt us. Such as the man he is he will have no hesitation in banging in the goals against us if we come up to face him, a true professional.

The fact we talk about Boyd and Miller being linked rather irks in that I believe they are spent forces in the game and would only be disruptive characters in the dressing room.

Let's hope we can move on and be successful. I am holding my breath.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

After digesting this news and reading this particular page on the forum it is clear that it has divided opinion rather violently. I would say more people are upset than are bothered about it. I don't think the issue is all about the fact that Doolan was released, it was the way it was handled, similar to the Erskine move. Totally inept and amateurish. The main three protagonists at the club, Low, Britton and Caldwell have shown a distinct lack of class over these issues and a few more. That is the worrying thing for me about this particular season. Since the new year Low and Britton have largely been hiding. The promised regular communication never materialising.

On the Doolan issue we have lost an upstanding g member of the whole Scottish football community. A guy who us clearly respected by his fellow professionals. I have no doubt wherever he goes he will be an asset to them and may come back to haunt us. Such as the man he is he will have no hesitation in banging in the goals against us if we come up to face him, a true professional.

The fact we talk about Boyd and Miller being linked rather irks in that I believe they are spent forces in the game and would only be disruptive characters in the dressing room.

Let's hope we can move on and be successful. I am holding my breath.

This seems to be the key issue : what was the right way to handle it ?

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

Well, apparently announcing it on Twitter before he left the stadium wasn't a great start.

Not much of an answer ...... so they should have announced it after he left the stadium .....they do that at your work ? 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

This time, I have no idea what this post means.

Me neither, I can't remember what point I was trying to make. Hardly slept last night due to the angst. Daft I know but there you are

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Not much of an answer ...... so they should have announced it after he left the stadium .....they do that at your work ? 

Where is the relevance in that comment? Does my work publicly  announce if someone leaves? This is a football club in the glare of the public and they publicly announces arrivals and departures. Admit it. It was disgracefully handled.

10 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

Just read the BBC article. Totally gutted by this - the club is going in the wrong direction. Sure, we’ll never be world beaters, but we were always Thistle. 

Recently I feel a lot of that has been lost. 

If success means this kind of behaviour, count me out. Happily travel to Kirkcaldy or Cowdenbeath with the Thistle spirit intact. This just feels wrong.

Great post Gary, ran out of likes 2 pages into this thread.

These people who are here barely a year are changing the identity of our club, I don't like it either.

I completely get the position of people like jagfox I really do, but things like this cause deep disconnection with club and fans and usually only ends one way, failure to engage can ruin clubs. The English game is littered with it. 

Just now, Garscube Road End said:

Where is the relevance in that comment? Does my work publicly  announce if someone leaves? This is a football club in the glare of the public and they publicly announces arrivals and departures. Admit it. It was disgracefully handled.

The relevance is that a football club also employs people like Doolan for example and in plenty places I have worked they announced people were leaving weeks before they actually left  .....I can just as easily see the club being criticised for not announcing it and then social media is covered with rumours

so what us wrong about announcing it before he has physically left the club ? Happens all the time in football ...x is leaving at the end of the season 

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Caldwell should have given him 10 minutes on Saturday.

Ideally, he should have had a candid conversation about his plans with Doolan before the season’s end.

The Club should have allowed him to tell his family before telling the public.

Given his length of service they should have allowed him, formally and on the website itself, to put his thanks to the fans on the record and in his own words.

They should have shown a bit of ****ing empathy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Woodstock Jag said:

Caldwell should have given him 10 minutes on Saturday.

Ideally, he should have had a candid conversation about his plans with Doolan before the season’s end.

The Club should have allowed him to tell his family before telling the public.

Given his length of service they should have allowed him, formally and on the website itself, to put his thanks to the fans on the record and in his own words.

They should have shown a bit of ****ing empathy.

This.