Doolan

javeajag

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

I never said any of that....I simply stated a fairly obvious reason why you wouldn’t tell players their contractual situation till after the season ends.....don’t make things up please 

But you also said 'it happens all the time in football' that clubs announce players are leaving at the end of season and its no problem?  So which is it - problem to suit your argument or not a problem to suit your other argument?

3 minutes ago, jaf said:

But you also said 'it happens all the time in football' that clubs announce players are leaving at the end of season and its no problem?  So which is it - problem to suit your argument or not a problem to suit your other argument?

If your going to make things up be better at it 

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

If your going to make things up be better at it 

So you are calling me a liar?

Page 16 of this thread - you say it happens all the time in football that clubs announce  x is leaving at end of season

Page 17 you state that there's a fairly obvious reason not to tell you wouldn't tell players their contractual position until the end of the season

If you are going to try to build a logical argument/defence, be better at it

18 minutes ago, sick in the basin said:

Absolute pleasure to get the chance to ask a Dools who would join him in his Fantasy Thistle X1.

Big thanks also to @BowenBoys for getting my Kr1s D00lan scarf design made up.

Kris - thanks for the memories and outrageous the manner in which you’ve been treated.

Hopefully see you back at Firhill in the future and all the best to you & the family.

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Some people here are trying to defend the indefensible; let’s agree Dools is a Thistle legend and that his departure could have been managed with more respect & tact.

Absolutely. There's a lot of noise but I don't think anyone could argue against either of these things.

Just now, jaf said:

So you are calling me a liar?

Page 16 of this thread - you say it happens all the time in football that clubs announce  x is leaving at end of season

Page 17 you state that there's a fairly obvious reason not to tell you wouldn't tell players their contractual position until the end of the season

If you are going to try to build a logical argument/defence, be better at it

Jhc

dont put any context in either will you 

I said ..players are often announced as leaving a club before the end of a season... which was acknowledged as something g that does happen 

i said ... you might not want to announce a players contractual situation for next season until the current season is over in reference to the fact that telling doolan before the qos match was not the end of the season and we also may have been in the playoffs 

both things can be true 

Just now, javeajag said:

Jhc

I said ..players are often announced as leaving a club before the end of a season... which was acknowledged as something g that does happen 

i said ... you might not want to announce a players contractual situation for next season until the current season is over in reference to the fact that telling doolan before the qos match was not the end of the season and we also may have been in the playoffs 

both things can be true 

Indeed, but they are mutually exclusive in reference to Doolan - both could not happen

So to use both to substantiate points in the same argument is disingenuous

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Jhc

both things can be true 

But I didn't make it up yet, yeah?

You did say it

So your post about me making things up was wrong???

You had just forgot maybe what you said?

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

I think Archie turning down the Shrewsbury job out of loyalty is your spin.....it was a poor job at a club going nowhere and wasn’t a step up from us those were the reasons ....they have had 3 mangers in the last two years .... a bigger job and he would have gone 

Not really. I was trying to say that Dools and Archie made decisions about staying at Firhill in full knowledge that it might not work out - that’s all.

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Not really. I was trying to say that Dools and Archie made decisions about staying at Firhill in full knowledge that it might not work out - that’s all.

I think the point is that Archie was never offered the Shrewsbury so therefore could not have turned it down 

3 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

It is important javea. The implication (even if you don’t think Doolan would ever down tools) is that Caldwell thinks he would.

Thats actually more insulting to a guy like Kris.

There is another possibility of course and that is if we had ended up in league 1, Doolan might have been part of the plans

A question that I haven't seen asked.

Given that all players are entitled to be treated with respect and decency, and some or all of them are probably pretty sound guys too, were the other released players informed in person before it went to Twitter?

1 hour ago, laukat said:

It would probably do some at the club no harm to read the article in the link below and take on board the advice offered

https://www.coachesvoice.com/gary-caldwell-on-managing-wigan-athletic-chesterfield/

In particular I would highlight the following

"At Chesterfield, I wasn’t one of them. I needed to connect with the players more. Connect with the fans quicker. I needed to let them know who I was as quickly as possible, so they could buy into what I was trying to do.

That relationship with the fans can buy you time. In the beginning, that’s what you’re trying to do. Every result buys you another week. You try to keep adding those up to get you more time. But you can’t build anything unless you get that initial period to connect."

"Second, I wouldn’t change as many players. That might sound contradictory, given what I’ve just said. And we made some really good signings – Dan Burn, Nick Powell, Nathan Byrne – but by bringing them in it upset the group we had and the spirit we’d created.

I should have just brought in one or two, stuck with the rest until January and done it all a bit more slowly."

"...That was my plan when I came into Thistle. I even made up a slideshow about it. (it really impressed the chairman!) But them I saw the true horror of what Archie had signed in the summer, and I had to throw all my plans out the window."

Sad,sad day.I've been a Thistle supporter for 65 years and it's come to this.We were always a "decent" club.Look how we stood by Bannigan but to to treat Doolan this way is a disgrace.I have no problem with managers releasing or not offering new contracts to players but the way this was done makes us look like amateurs.So,goodbye from me,I don't really care what happens from now on.

"...That was my plan when I came into Thistle. I even made up a slideshow about it. (it really impressed the chairman!) But them I saw the true horror of what Archie had signed in the summer, and I had to throw all my plans out the window."

A perfectly valid reason for rapidly changing the playing squad.

However I've not seen any reason why he hasn't headed his own advice on dealing with the fans

From memory I think he has done 1 meet the manager evening, apart from that has anyone seen anything that suggests he is trying to get the fans on board to buy into what he was trying to do?

You know, for all that I'm concerned at the way Kris Doolan has apparently been treated, I'm not sure about all this "it's not the club I've supported for 100 years" stuff. I would guess that Thistle players in the past have been treated in pretty schtty ways too. And probably by some of our legends. There was maybe just a bit less public knowledge.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

You know, for all that I'm concerned at the way Kris Doolan has apparently been treated, I'm not sure about all this "it's not the club I've supported for 100 years" stuff. I would guess that Thistle players in the past have been treated in pretty schtty ways too. And probably by some of our legends. There was maybe just a bit less public knowledge.

Didn’t kenny  Arthur get similar last game treatment ?