A New Direction?

QXBoy

Agree with most of the comments on this thread. The new direction piece sounds likes bollocks. Especially when it is mentioned alongside old firm old timers like Boyd and miller. The only way it would have made any sense is if he was meaning to give youth a chance. The comment is very ambiguous. Will be interesting if he addresses that at the fans night. 

The only other thing on dools is that gc really did not see him at his best. He’s been with us 10 years and we’ve had the benefit of seeing him be excellent in previous seasons. It just didn’t happen last year.

its still a huge mistake. Also think about the new direction in the context of banzo. He is a player that was due to move to bigger things. Then got a terrible injury. We recuperated him over a long period. Now we are getting the benefits. This is a good example of loyalty working both ways. Can’t help feeling that dools has been shafted, and wonder if the current regime would handle the banzo situation differently. 

55 minutes ago, blakey said:

Agree with most of the comments on this thread. The new direction piece sounds likes bollocks. Especially when it is mentioned alongside old firm old timers like Boyd and miller. The only way it would have made any sense is if he was meaning to give youth a chance. The comment is very ambiguous. Will be interesting if he addresses that at the fans night. 

The only other thing on dools is that gc really did not see him at his best. He’s been with us 10 years and we’ve had the benefit of seeing him be excellent in previous seasons. It just didn’t happen last year.

its still a huge mistake. Also think about the new direction in the context of banzo. He is a player that was due to move to bigger things. Then got a terrible injury. We recuperated him over a long period. Now we are getting the benefits. This is a good example of loyalty working both ways. Can’t help feeling that dools has been shafted, and wonder if the current regime would handle the banzo situation differently. 

I believe a player with Stuart Bannigans talent and technique has been totally stifled this season under Caldwell’s tactics, sterile football with no end product and Banzo’s game has changed under Caldwell with a lack of creativity and sideways passing. Undoubtedly a waste of Stuart Bannigans talent .

The new direction with alleged interest in Boyd/Miller seems to be Back to the Future by signing Old Firm pensioners  like Divers, Davis, Niven,Ritchie, Chalmers, Deans in the 60’s & 70’s . Marty McFly Caldwell we don’t want football pensioners.

1 hour ago, ironfist said:

Someone should just gag Caldwell. Every time he speaks he adds fuel to the fire. He sees himself as a top manager and strategist but the reality is more like a David Brent/ Alan Partridge love child.

kenny miller or boyd as doolan’s replacement? Really? 

what good can it possibly do to announce Christie as the top earner? 

Total and utter fud 

Why would you publicly name any player as top earner. Automatically it splits the dressing room, with guys like Banzo or Penners saying I want the same as him. Any new “marquee” signings wanting more, plus adding a pressure to Elliot that when ever he has a bad game he’ll be getting bawled at for being the highest earner but playing crap

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I believe a player with Stuart Bannigans talent and technique has been totally stifled this season under Caldwell’s tactics, sterile football with no end product and Banzo’s game has changed under Caldwell with a lack of creativity and sideways passing. Undoubtedly a waste of Stuart Bannigans talent .

Stuart Bannigan's been playing like...Stuart Bannigan.

9 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Why would you publicly name any player as top earner. Automatically it splits the dressing room, with guys like Banzo or Penners saying I want the same as him. Any new “marquee” signings wanting more, plus adding a pressure to Elliot that when ever he has a bad game he’ll be getting bawled at for being the highest earner but playing crap

I wonder if the Elliot offer will actually be a lower basic wage topped up with a testimonial so that theoretically he is the highest earner at the club but only for next season?

17 minutes ago, laukat said:

I wonder if the Elliot offer will actually be a lower basic wage topped up with a testimonial so that theoretically he is the highest earner at the club but only for next season?

His tenth season would be 2021/22 season, signed August 2011, 3 years from now

33 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I thought exactly the same. Puts undue pressure on Christie; and potentially unrests other players. I also assume that it’s also a wage cut.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

My point exactly 

2 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I believe a player with Stuart Bannigans talent and technique has been totally stifled this season under Caldwell’s tactics, sterile football with no end product and Banzo’s game has changed under Caldwell with a lack of creativity and sideways 

Bannigan is our ray Wilkins. He's not changed. What next. Elliot has been turned into a hard working but limited wing back? 

The reaction to Doolan going is just ridiculous. You hire a manager you need to give him full control who he brings in and releases. 

Archie, Erskine, and Doolan have all contributed hugely to this club but their time is no over. 

Before Mcdonald came to this club I would have had him in my top five disliked players. That's all changed now and I am sure there will be others who will step up. 

Edited by Alan Murray

25 minutes ago, Alan Murray said:

The reaction to Doolan going is just ridiculous. You hire a manager you need to give him full control who he brings in and releases. 

Archie, Erskine, and Doolan have all contributed hugely to this club but their time is no over. 

Before Mcdonald came to this club I would have had him in my top five disliked players. That's all changed now and I am sure there will be others who will step up. 

The sweet smell of common sense. Caldwell I'm sure could have handled some situations much better. But if we get promoted next year few if any will remember what went before. 

16 hours ago, javeajag said:

Doolan is 33 but your point is a fair one ......is Boyd a better player than Doolan? Has he scored more goals ? Can he score regularly in the championship ? All good questions for 35 year old .....I guess MacDonald might be a reference point 

No Doolan is 32. He specifically had to correct journalists on Sportsound about this too.

Aw God, I've been trying to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt.

I've  felt that it's fair he gets a chance after the squad he had at his disposal, the team was an absolute mess and he tried different formations etc..  but the fact was we had a unbalanced squad and a lot of players either weren't good enough or weren't suited to the Scottish championship.

Which actually brings me to my point, Kris Doolan will always be a Legend at Firhill he fitted our club perfectly.. the underdog striker from the juniors who outlasted every striker we ever signed. 

Personally I think it is time for him to move on.. and in some strange way I think Doolan actually suited the Premier league more than he does the championship.. tell me I'm talking pish but it was a lot less of a scrap at times and Doolan was great at losing his man in the box ..

It's out of order the way the club have went about it.. but Lambie used to do it on a regular basis.. If we can get better then we should.

Also Caldwell has done him self absolutely no favours a bad start to the season and the fans will turn on him very quickly now ! Either a brave move or a stupid 1

Edited by Thistle88

5 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Aw God, I've been trying to give Caldwell the benefit of the doubt.

I've  felt that it's fair he gets a chance after the squad he had at his disposal, the team was an absolute mess and he tried different formations etc..  but the fact was we had a unbalanced squad and a lot of players either weren't good enough or weren't suited to the Scottish championship.

Which actually brings me to my point, Kris Doolan will always be a Legend at Firhill he fitted our club perfectly.. the underdog striker from the juniors who outlasted every striker we ever signed. 

Personally I think it is time for him to move on.. and in some strange way I think Doolan actually suited the Premier league more than he does the championship.. tell me I'm talking pish but it was a lot less of a scrap at times and Doolan was great at losing his man in the box ..

It's out of order the way the club have went about it.. but Lambie used to do it on a regular basis.. If we can get better then we should.

Also Caldwell has done him self absolutely no favours a bad start to the season and the fans will turn on him very quickly now ! Either a brave move or a stupid 1

If better is a 36 yr old Kris Boyd whose Achilles is gubbed or a 39 yr old Kenny Miller whose best days are behind him , both these guys are just looking for a final pay day , surely we should be building a team not just for a quick fix but for the future?

in one interview Caldwell says signing Boyd and Miller would be a 'no brainer''; in his next foray into print he claims kris Doolan was ushered out because he wants to 'build a team for the future'.  one of those statements is surely erroneous

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, robphil said:

in one interview Caldwell says signing Boyd and Miller would be a 'no brainer''; in his next foray into print he claims kris Doolan was ushered out because he wants to 'build a team for the future'.  one of those statements is surely erroneous

And as we know, reporting in this country's media is always accurate, fair and honest!  :whistling:

14 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Elliot to be the highest paid player at the club??!!!  I admire his commitment but...

Fitzy subject to an "almost £1m deal".... If true then what could we get for him in another year if he plays well...

Mind you, never trust everything you read in a newspaper.......

And what if he picks up an injury. In financial terms nearly 1M pounds is about the level of the parachute payment last year according to Norge.

9 minutes ago, scotty said:

And as we know, reporting in this country's media is always accurate, fair and honest!  :whistling:

The quotation marks would suggest the words came out of caldwell's mouth. yes, reporters have been known to adjust the facts for all manner of reasons but tampering with direct quotes is a dangerous tactic

5 hours ago, Alan Murray said:

You’re right re Scott McDonald, think he saved our season and the manager should have control over the playing staff but that should be within a Club policy structure, youth development, coaching young players and possibly moving them on in the future.

Perfect recent example are Motherwell who told Steve Robinson that was the road they wanted to go down and then players like Cadden and Jake Hastie came through.

I don’t believe that Caldwell has been given any sort of template as regards the future of the club or we wouldn’t have signed 36 yr old Gary Harkins and be interested in Kris Boyd (36yrs)and Kenny Miller ( 39yrs)whose best days are long gone . Don’t see where the value is there .

40 minutes ago, robphil said:

Actually they are not