A night with GC

dl1971

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Thanks for the updates, jagfox and others. :thumbsup2:.

I'm assuming the night was centred round the manager and football matters as opposed to wider Club issues like the lack of communication, or the selective nature of same. It's just I came away from a recent fans evening feeling positive about things only to be scunnered by what turned out to be no more than patronising rhetoric. Hopefully that isn't the case tonight.

Just one question that intrigues me, Why was it felt necessary to hold this meeting?   

In answer to your bottom question they weren’t actually asked this question on the night but Gerry did say that the club wanted to try something new and that they had never tried this before, they did say it was something at this stage of the season that few clubs had tried, they would also likely have another event towards the end of the pre season 

Firstly, as I posted elsewhere I think Caldwell deserves credit for doing the event tonight. It showed (his favourite word) character.

Can he talk an excellent game? Yes. Were his presentation skills good? Yes. But personally I felt large portions veered into death by statistics and/or David Brent-esque nonsense (WTF was that video at the start all about?). The over-complication of what is a fairly simple game was, to me, very apparent.

I wasn’t massively satisfied with his answer on the Doolan question, and I don’t come away from the event tonight feeling any more confident in him than I did previously. But I really, really hope I am proved wrong. 

I found it hugely concerning and a massive missed opportunity for the Chair to not make herself available for questions, though. I also found the Chief Executive’s answer on the training ground to be vague in the extreme, and his comment around the Doolan testimonial to he pretty cack-handed (essentially saying his testimonial would be boosted as a result of him being released...). 

Anyway, we are where we are and let’s hope Caldwell can turn some of the rhetoric/hot air (delete as applicable) into reality. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

In answer to your bottom question they weren’t actually asked this question on the night but Gerry did say that the club wanted to try something new and that they had never tried this before, they did say it was something at this stage of the season that few clubs had tried, they would also likely have another event towards the end of the pre season 

Thanks, TL. Having a similar event closer to the start of the season makes far more sense.

6 hours ago, West of Scotland said:

I thought what he said was reasonable and straightforward. The days of Lambie's "Jist gie's a f**kin' shift" are long gone and aren't coming back.

100% this , what is expected from a manger now is very different from Managers in the past. 

Too many fans think running about a lot = a decent player

8 hours ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I found it hugely concerning and a massive missed opportunity for the Chair to not make herself available for questions, though. I also found the Chief Executive’s answer on the training ground to be vague in the extreme, and his comment around the Doolan testimonial to he pretty cack-handed (essentially saying his testimonial would be boosted as a result of him being released...). 

Anyway, we are where we are and let’s hope Caldwell can turn some of the rhetoric/hot air (delete as applicable) into reality. 

I spoke to Jacqui Low beforehand. She was quite open on the training ground.

10 hours ago, jagfox said:

Training ground delayed as developers wanting access road to be dual carriages and the land required is owned by the company we outbid. Developers wanting us to put in extras such as street lighting and bus stops. May have to look at Plan B if the club can get out of this contract.

Plan B site could be closer to Firhill as was a site previously looked at but lost out on. That development has apparently stalled too. Plan in place so could be transferred to another site. All dependent on current contracts but no cost at moment.

She also volunteered that no funding from Mr Weir used to balance books apart from declared investment in the Academy and the Training ground. All funds are still in place for that contract but bowing to current demands would put the plan over budget.

Edited by jagfox

3 minutes ago, BalornockJag said:

Was sitting next to the guy who asked about the communication, after the meeting Jackie had a bit of an in-depth chat with the guy haha 

She seems quite approachable, hopefully she can work on the clubs official output this season!

2 minutes ago, BalornockJag said:

Was sitting next to the guy who asked about the communication, after the meeting Jackie had a bit of an in-depth chat with the guy haha 

Isn’t that the problem? Private twitter exchanges and cosy chats with individual fans rather than communicating with the wider fan base?

Not saying she shouldn’t have spoken to the guy obviously, but she was in a room with 230-odd fans, with it being recorded, and said not a peep. Yes Gerry Britton answered a couple of questions but he’s essentially just a club worker and not really in charge of the football club. Big missed opportunity. 

• Like 1

If I look at the company I work for.  There is the board and chairman for high level plans and "what we want to do".  Then the Managing Director/Chief Exec.  Its the MD/CE who manage the relationship with the staff and clients and makes the 1, 3, 5 year plan into something tangible.  Gerry B should be leading this with Jacqui as backup.

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

So looking at the reactions here and elsewhere it seems Caldwell did well and came across as detailed driven and knowledgeable......that’s reinforced by the muted comments from the Negative Group....

he will of course be judged on his results particularly at the end of the first quarter but first two signings promising 

Needless and totally pointless.

Thanks for all the measured updates to all who were there. Sounds like there were a lot of positives. I particularly like the acknowledgement that we didnt press enough when we didn't have the ball last season which was one of our positives when we first got promoted. Looking forward to seeing the night when it's on the club web site

Edited by Guest

23 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Needless and totally pointless.

Thanks for all the measured updates to all who were there. Sounds like there were a lot of positives. I particularly like the acknowledgement that we didnt press enough when we didn't have the ball last season which was one of our positives when we first got promoted. Looking forward to seeing the night when it's on the club web site

Yes all positive 

Reading through the comments, I think that there is now an understanding on what Gary is trying to achieve and it is, by and large, what we all want. He may not be doing it the way we would, but the end result is the same, get us into the SPL at the earliest. I'm interested that he is addressing fitness, something that we were all saying was a problem for the last 2 years. The other note was on the target transfer being 24-34 and having experience of the Scottish game. That would rule out the "Dads Army" threat that some had feared. I hope however if Messi came calling we wouldn't say "Sorry Lionel, you don't have any experience in Scotland". Overall, I am more positive today than I was yesterday

He doesn't come across as likable, but is certainly focused and ambitions. I don't expect Gary to be around for a long time, and would not be surprised if he headed to England at some point, but to do that he must bring success to Firhill and if he does that then good luck to him. As others have said, it is upto Gary to get the results on the field that he will be measured on.

Regarding the training ground, the information given does fall in line with what we already know, and does explain the lack of progress. It is also good to know that we also have a plan B, and are not going to go over budget just to make plan A work.

Cheers to everyone for the updates-really useful for those of us not able to make it. Looking forward to seeing it on Jagzone too. It sounds like a bit of grudging respect is starting to head GC's way, which I think is fair enough. As Dick Dastardly says, GC comes across as 'focused and ambitious'-that's what I want to see in a Jags manager.

Edited by westertonjagfan

58 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

If I look at the company I work for.  There is the board and chairman for high level plans and "what we want to do".  Then the Managing Director/Chief Exec.  Its the MD/CE who manage the relationship with the staff and clients and makes the 1, 3, 5 year plan into something tangible.  Gerry B should be leading this with Jacqui as backup.

That's as I see it.

Often tho', speaking from my experience, the MD/Chief Exec can be undermined by directors/chair/Co Sec. Often that's in good faith simply because they want to get involved. A not uncommon example being the latter are high profile when there's new employment but nowhere to be seen when there's a dismissal. 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I spoke to Jacqui Low beforehand. She was quite open on the training ground.

Plan B site could be closer to Firhill as was a site previously looked at but lost out on. That development has apparently stalled too. Plan in place so could be transferred to another site. All dependent on current contracts but no cost at moment.

She also volunteered that no funding from Mr Weir used to balance books apart from declared investment in the Academy and the Training ground. All funds are still in place for that contract but bowing to current demands would put the plan over budget.

So no funds from Mr Weir directly or indirectly into Partick Thistle ? So its this an Offiicial Statement from the Club ? 

As for the Training Ground there has been no update beyond the one given to the Trust in January and that was at there request - lots one one to ones - small groups - all verbal - but no actual statement 

Seems a strange way for a Communications Expert to Communicate ? 

And on the Night the Chairman didnt say anything ? 

13 hours ago, jagfox said:

Training ground delayed as developers wanting access road to be dual carriages and the land required is owned by the company we outbid. Developers wanting us to put in extras such as street lighting and bus stops. May have to look at Plan B if the club can get out of this contract.

Developers ? Do you mean Planners?

I thought we were the developers?