A night with GC

dl1971

I hope they do organise another 'meet the manager' nights, as by the accounts here on the forum, there was an open and constructive discussion after GC's presentation..

I wonder if for the next meeting, they could help themselves by employing the 'envelope' tactic again, in that they ask the meeting attendees to highlight their top 3 concerns, write them down on a card and present them to chair of the meeting before the start of proceedings? GC can then do his video presentations, training analysis, game tactics etc etc, and by the second half of the meeting some one within the PTFC staff will have collated the comments and Ms Low, GB and GC can go though the main concerns raised by the group?  

This way you get comments from the whole of your group, not just the one or two who are more used to public speaking?

7 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So no funds from Mr Weir directly or indirectly into Partick Thistle ? So its this an Offiicial Statement from the Club ? 

As for the Training Ground there has been no update beyond the one given to the Trust in January and that was at there request - lots one one to ones - small groups - all verbal - but no actual statement 

Seems a strange way for a Communications Expert to Communicate ? 

And on the Night the Chairman didnt say anything ? 

Not singling you out JJ, just using your post to make the point that the event, and this thread, were titled “An Evening With Gary Caldwell” so it’s a bit ridiculous all the posts criticising JL and GB for not talking more! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, westertonjagfan said:

Cheers to everyone for the updates-really useful for those of us not able to make it. Looking forward to seeing it on Jagzone too. It sounds like a bit of grudging respect is starting to head GC's way, which I think is fair enough. As Dick Dastardly says, GC comes across as 'focused and ambitious'-that's what I want to see in a Jags manager.

Thanks. "grudging respect" were exactly the words I was looking for. Possibly also "lacking empathy", but that often goes with the focused and ambitious

59 minutes ago, Emsca said:

Developers ? Do you mean Planners?

I thought we were the developers?

I'm evidently no expert in these matters I guess it's planners wanting the adjustments and the other (neighbouring) developer playing hard ball over the access lol

1 hour ago, London Exile said:

Not singling you out JJ, just using your post to make the point that the event, and this thread, were titled “An Evening With Gary Caldwell” so it’s a bit ridiculous all the posts criticising JL and GB for not talking more! 

Ok that's a fair point - however Gerry B did speak and took questions regards the Training Ground and the handling of Dools - so they were obviously prepared to discuss a wide range of topics - given these were discussed- it seems strange the Chairman who has been the lead on these items ie Communications & Training Ground-had nothing to say publicly

But she managed to have Private Chats discussing various details not in the Public Domain with Fans on a one to one

Things like the level of Weir Funding - that's the sort of info you provide to your Shareholders at an AGM - not a cosy chat with a random Fan ( no disrespect to JagFox or any other Fans who had a "Chat" with JLo ) 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I'm evidently no expert in these matters I guess it's planners wanting the adjustments and the other (neighbouring) developer playing hard ball over the access lol

Thanks Jagfox, not trying to be pedantic or a smart arse.

Its just that if it is the Local Authority planners who are asking for these things they will have a wish list of things they would like to see in an ideal world. These can usually be negotiated away / modified.. If however it is an adjoining owner who has a ransom strip - they will only be persuaded with £££ and that will be much more concerning.

54 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok that's a fair point - however Gerry B did speak and took questions regards the Training Ground and the handling of Dools - so they were obviously prepared to discuss a wide range of topics - given these were discussed- it seems strange the Chairman who has been the lead on these items ie Communications & Training Ground-had nothing to say publicly

But she managed to have Private Chats discussing various details not in the Public Domain with Fans on a one to one

Things like the level of Weir Funding - that's the sort of info you provide to your Shareholders at an AGM - not a cosy chat with a random Fan ( no disrespect to JagFox or any other Fans who had a "Chat" with JLo ) 

Why don’t you just give her a call ? 

4 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Needless and totally pointless.

Thanks for all the measured updates to all who were there. Sounds like there were a lot of positives. I particularly like the acknowledgement that we didnt press enough when we didn't have the ball last season which was one of our positives when we first got promoted. Looking forward to seeing the night when it's on the club web site

On the pressing opposition teams point Gary did show some film of games to illustrate this. Examples of dropping off and then getting tight. You could definitely see a difference between the start and end of season but it's hard to draw blanket conclusions on six or so selected clips.  However what he also said after the clips was (something like) good players don't like being closed down, average players cant play at all when it happens to them and given the league we are in, pressing teams is vital - l think he then showed a Dundee United clip where we picked up the ball 4 or 5 times in their half from applying pressure when we lost the ball.  In total this approach all fitted into his wheel type illustration graphic of how he wants his team to play (which l can't remember the four parts of) and the idea that you do what the team needs not what is best for you.

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, and l only just remembered it, but he also said Spittal and Cardle would/have been offered deals. He wasn't sure if they would sign but he said they enjoyed being at Thistle.

Again, hope this makes sense and apologies to anyone who was there that interpreted what was said differently.

Edited by east end jag

7 hours ago, jagfox said:

I spoke to Jacqui Low beforehand. She was quite open on the training ground.

Plan B site could be closer to Firhill as was a site previously looked at but lost out on. That development has apparently stalled too. Plan in place so could be transferred to another site. All dependent on current contracts but no cost at moment.

She also volunteered that no funding from Mr Weir used to balance books apart from declared investment in the Academy and the Training ground. All funds are still in place for that contract but bowing to current demands would put the plan over budget.

I’m wondering why none of this has ever been formally communicated either written or a video interview on Jagszone or official site, but rather (as usual) it’s one on one conversations that can’t be tracked back.

This contradicts what I heard this morning regarding our finances, which I was informed will start to become apparent over next 2 weeks.

Time will tell.

My source may be wrong, but ask yourself why all the “word in the ear” stuff from the board to individuals or small groups  instead of  concrete statements that they can be held accountable for?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

I’m wondering why none of this has ever been formally communicated either written or a video interview on Jagszone or official site, but rather (as usual) it’s one on one conversations that can’t be tracked back.

This contradicts what I heard this morning regarding our finances, which I was informed will start to become apparent over next 2 weeks.

Time will tell.

My source may be wrong, but ask yourself why all the “word in the ear” stuff from the board to individuals or small groups  instead of  concrete statements that they can be held accountable for?

Are you allowed to tell us what your sources said Norgethistle ?

3 hours ago, east end jag said:

On the pressing opposition teams point Gary did show some film of games to illustrate this. Examples of dropping off and then getting tight. You could definitely see a difference between the start and end of season but it's hard to draw blanket conclusions on six or so selected clips.  However what he also said after the clips was (something like) good players don't like being closed down, average players cant play at all when it happens to them and given the league we are in, pressing teams is vital - l think he then showed a Dundee United clip where we picked up the ball 4 or 5 times in their half from applying pressure when we lost the ball.  In total this approach all fitted into his wheel type illustration graphic of how he wants his team to play (which l can't remember the four parts of) and the idea that you do what the team needs not what is best for you.

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, and l only just remembered it, but he also said Spittal and Cardle would/have been offered deals. He wasn't sure if they would sign but he said they enjoyed being at Thistle.

Again, hope this makes sense and apologies to anyone who was there that interpreted what was said differently.

Ran out of reactions once again, thanks east end

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Time will tell.

You can’t run a premier league infrastructure on championship income levels.   This was well discussed and documented around agm time with employee number comparisons etc  some on here told us those numbers were meaningless.  as you say, time will tell  

32 minutes ago, jaf said:

You can’t run a premier league infrastructure on championship income levels.   This was well discussed and documented around agm time with employee number comparisons etc  some on here told us those numbers were meaningless.  as you say, time will tell  

If as stated the Weirs put no cash in then we are Championship Revenue streams which arent very high 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kevin energy said:

Are you allowed to tell us what your sources said Norgethistle ?

Massive deficit for last season and jobs at risk, hopefully it’s only rumors as (1) I would hate to see anyone lose their job (2) I’d hate the club to be in any risk either short term financially or long term relying on a single backer

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jagfox said:

Training ground delayed as developers wanting access road to be dual carriages and the land required is owned by the company we outbid. Developers wanting us to put in extras such as street lighting and bus stops. May have to look at Plan B if the club can get out of this contract.

The issue of the access road being owned by someone else was highlighted at the time of the initial planning application.  Also, for those looking for more communication on the development, the training ground is being planned, paid for and owned by Three Black Cats. Thistle are just waiting for a friendly developer opening it so they can ren a training centre.

£551k in bank going into this season (ie per last years accounts)

That's a lot of cash to blow, so surely there would be no short term risk Norge?

Could a Board really oversee a loss of that extent and not act sooner?  I am sure not, especially as someone said GC only spent 1/3rd of available budget in January.

• Confused 1

38 minutes ago, jaf said:

£551k in bank going into this season (ie per last years accounts)

That's a lot of cash to blow, so surely there would be no short term risk Norge?

Could a Board really oversee a loss of that extent and not act sooner?  I am sure not, especially as someone said GC only spent 1/3rd of available budget in January.

From what I was told Caldwell spent ( and was backed) significantly more than Archie did in the summer, but why only spend a third if promotion was the aim, surely one or two extra better players may have got us top 4

18 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

From what I was told Caldwell spent ( and was backed) significantly more than Archie did in the summer, but why only spend a third if promotion was the aim, surely one or two extra better players may have got us top 4

What l took from last night was that he realised promotion wasn't going to happen very quickly after he was appointed. Knowing that, and identifying that the team needed a 'spine' to ensure we could better compete, he went to work on that. Part of the 'only spent a third' was put down to Gerry getting players out. He made a point of saying that player psychology is important in the modern game and on appointment our team was incredibly fragile. A significant element of the January recruitment seemed based on dealing with that and he mentioned Cardle, Anderson and McDonald as being good to have in the dressing room for dealing with this.

My conclusion on this is that l don't think he ever thought one or two players would get us in a position to reach a play off position. He aimed for safety with his actions and anything else would have been a bonus.

42 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

This. It’s clear to anyone that the Club loosened the purse strings more for GC than it did for Archie last summer. It will show in our accounts for 2018-19.

GC achieved relatively little with more time and more money. 

He is not the manager for us. 

• Like 1