A night with GC

dl1971

1 hour ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

That was good, looks like a good night, and a forum I hope they continue to use throughout the season.

Regarding the earlier comments regarding scouts, I heard that Morton have had the guy Graham Carr along at some games. Now that guy was an incredibly successful scout for Newcastle a few years ago … I wonder if Morton have some ideas to get him onboard to help build their squad?

Is Graham Carr not hated in Newcastle swaer during their latest relegation he was getting daily pellters.

12 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

A scout in Spain went to see a young player in the 5th tier of Spanish Football - they played in Tenerife - the Club was San Isidro  about 10 km North of the Airport - when he saw the team play he saw another young player who he thought was better and signed him as well 

The other young player was Pedro signed for Barca aged 18 - Bobby Dinnie watched thousands of games - Archie - Kenny Arthur - Dools - Erskine 

Bobby didnt drive or possess a mobile phone  

There has been a scouting vacuum since Bobby stopped working. 

The Club has to address that but also keep youth development going. We will never have the buying power of the evil twin sisters.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Pretty impressed with Mr Caldwell in those clips. 

Very impressive. I'm starting to warm to him. Amazing what some decent communication can do.  Looking forward to the next instalments. 

• Like 1

He gets a lot of mud slung at him on this forum, and regular accusations of arrogance, but for a young guy trying to make a career in an absolutely brutal and unforgiving industry, I for one am impressed at his openness and courage in putting himself out there. I think you have to respect that. I do anyway.

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, allyo said:

He gets a lot of mud slung at him on this forum, and regular accusations of arrogance, but for a young guy trying to make a career in an absolutely brutal and unforgiving industry, I for one am impressed at his openness and courage in putting himself out there. I think you have to respect that. I do anyway.

This 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, westertonjagfan said:

Pretty impressed with Mr Caldwell in those clips. 

I didn’t think there was much originality in his presentation.

His ‘counter pressing’ is just another way of saying what John Lambie  said in Grasping the Thistle,  “ if don’t get in aboot them, they’ll be f*****g questions asked” !

1 minute ago, sandbank boy said:

His ‘counter pressing’ is just another way of saying what John Lambie  said in Grasping the Thistle,  “ if don’t get in aboot them, they’ll be f*****g questions asked” !

Well it must be right then

40 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

To a certain extent football tactics are a rehash of what went before. It's about like music....there are only so many good tunes you can write. I'm not sure what GC could do also on the night. What were you expecting ...Dynamo or Derren brown?  A bit of musical theatre? 

19 hours ago, javeajag said:

When did we ever have a decent scouting system that wasn’t one man called Bobbie Dinnie ?!

Which is one more than we have now. Surely we could do better than none.

Just watched the first two videos. Looks an excellent event and Gary is an excellent communicator with a clear idea of what his and the team's objectives are. Hope they continue with these events. In case anyone from the club every reads this thread, maybe looking for feedback, one potential improvement would be to include a couple of senior players, who could provide a bit of insight of how this approach works from their perspective.

I wonder if when they were planning this event, they were concerned that it was useful intelligence for opposing teams?

• Like 1

Part 2 of the event on Wednesday evening here:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/the-season-ahead-with-gary-caldwell-part-two/

I have been reading here about us having no scouts and there was a little voice in my head saying "I remember something being discussed about scouts" so have a look at this from 1 min 5 seconds in:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/update-from-the-chairman-and-manager/

6 hours ago, fenski said:

Just watched the first two videos. Looks an excellent event and Gary is an excellent communicator with a clear idea of what his and the team's objectives are. Hope they continue with these events. In case anyone from the club every reads this thread, maybe looking for feedback, one potential improvement would be to include a couple of senior players, who could provide a bit of insight of how this approach works from their perspective.

I wonder if when they were planning this event, they were concerned that it was useful intelligence for opposing teams?

Totally agree regarding GC-for me it was helpful to see a bit of humour and vulnerability - laughing a bit at himself too. i thought he came across really well and admired the fact that he did this a few days after the Doolz announcement.  

Excellent idea about including a few of the senior pros too.  I wonder if the club were taken by surprise by the interest in this and might think about moving the next event to a bigger room?

11 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

I think what I took from the presentation wasn't so much the presentation ( though I liked what he said) but about how GC presented himself-very different from the figure on the Jagzone interviews-likeable, driven and quite funny.

I’m deeply suspicious of Caldwell and I think he treated Doolan and Erskine really badly but I think it’s only fair to say I was moderately impressed with the clips the club have released so far of the Q&A night.

I have to say I like it far more when he’s self-effacing. More of that please.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

14 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Part 2 of the event on Wednesday evening here:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/the-season-ahead-with-gary-caldwell-part-two/

I have been reading here about us having no scouts and there was a little voice in my head saying "I remember something being discussed about scouts" so have a look at this from 1 min 5 seconds in:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/update-from-the-chairman-and-manager/

Thanks for this Fawlty Towers. I don't understand why there is 3 scouts in England but no set scouts in Scotland just "contacts". What benefits have the Club seen from these 3 scouts in England? Will this be more beneficial to the Club if/when we get back to the Premiership? 

Have now watched the videos up to date. I must admit to being impressed by his thoughts and presentation.

He clearly has a plan and has ultimate belief in it, which is a huge asset for a football manager. My criticism of the manager is now very little due to what I have seen.

His peers at the club however, deserve all the criticism that has and is being levelled at them. A dreadful awareness of how ho handle sensitive and public issues. Erskine, Doolan and redundancy issues bearing that out.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Have now watched the videos up to date. I must admit to being impressed by his thoughts and presentation.

He clearly has a plan and has ultimate belief in it, which is a huge asset for a football manager. My criticism of the manager is now very little due to what I have seen.

His peers at the club however, deserve all the criticism that has and is being levelled at them. A dreadful awareness of how ho handle sensitive and public issues. Erskine, Doolan and redundancy issues bearing that out.

Genuine question, did we really learn anything ?

We knew his preferred style of play was 3 5 2 , no idea why as both wing backs last season didn’t contribute enough to justify that system .

He got the players fitter and they run about more . There was no talking about how he sees the Club in 5 years , how we’re going to build the Club either through the Academy or purely focus on the first team .

Wants to play a pressing game but you need nearly every player to be at a certain level of fitness to play that type of game, there is no point in 3 or 4 players doing it , it’s got to be a collective thing .

Not a stick to beat Caldwell with , I just don’t think we learned an awful lot from it .

What I find interesting is that his interview presentations have been consistently ridiculed, and the board slaughtered for being "taken in" by these, yet when most people see these presentations themselves they are quite impressed, some to the point of changing their minds.

Just an observation.

Personally I still think it's about results and performances. That's how I'll judge him

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

As long as you accept not everyone thinks e and d were hard done by 

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

We knew his preferred style of play was 3 5 2 , no idea why as both wing backs last season didn’t contribute enough to justify that system .

He got the players fitter and they run about more . There was no talking about how he sees the Club in 5 years , how we’re going to build the Club either through the Academy or purely focus on the first team .

Wants to play a pressing game but you need nearly every player to be at a certain level of fitness to play that type of game, there is no point in 3 or 4 players doing it , it’s got to be a collective thing .

Not a stick to beat Caldwell with , I just don’t think we learned an awful lot from it .

You hate Caldwell why all the other words ? 

12 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I think most fans have said they were enlightened by it. Perhaps you have a greater understanding of how a professional team is managed tactically than most ordinary fans. With regard to a 5 year plan and the youth academy perhaps GC will have further events to expand on these points? Imagine....GC here for the long term. Oucha. 

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

I think most fans have said they were enlightened by it. Perhaps you have a greater understanding of how a professional team is managed tactically than most ordinary fans. With regard to a 5 year plan and the youth academy perhaps GC will have further events to expand on these points? Imagine....GC here for the long term. Oucha. 

You’re still allowed to be objective ? , would have more impressed if he had said we’re going to try to build the Club through the Academy and give young players a pathway to the first team or the plan is to get 20 or 21 year olds from Lower Leagues and coach into better players .

Instead we got they’ve been on the Training Ground a lot longer , they run more in games etc

There wasn’t a lot of substance in what he said for the future planning of the Club

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

Is it part of his remit ?