A night with GC

dl1971

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re still allowed to be objective ? , would have more impressed if he had said we’re going to try to build the Club through the Academy and give young players a pathway to the first team or the plan is to get 20 or 21 year olds from Lower Leagues and coach into better players .

Instead we got they’ve been on the Training Ground a lot longer , they run more in games etc

There wasn’t a lot of substance in what he said for the future planning of the Club

And would you give him time to do that? Would the fans.....very unlikely. Objectively speaking.

9 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Only from last season 

Fair enough - but GC has a long way to go and lots of Fans think he is Full of Talk ( based on previous Track record ) and he has still to deliver - some folk have already judged - others giving him a Chance - you stated early on Archie Should Go - ( you were correct ) maybe JLS is correct about GC ?  

3 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The final instalment is here (and yes it is better than the final instalment of Game of Thrones):

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/the-season-ahead-with-gary-caldwell-part-four/

Just watched parts 3 and 4. I think it was as transparent and as honest as you could expect from GC and GB. As most have said a communications success which perhaps goes some way to negating some of the less successful communication issues. 

18 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Fair enough - but GC has a long way to go and lots of Fans think he is Full of Talk ( based on previous Track record ) and he has still to deliver - some folk have already judged - others giving him a Chance - you stated early on Archie Should Go - ( you were correct ) maybe JLS is correct about GC ?  

JLS may be proven right about GC. But he deserves a modicum of time. The vast majority of fans in my opinion are happy to give him a breather....albeit we all know a bad start to the season can turn fans the other way. I want JLS to be wrong because that will mean we will be doing well. I hope JLS hopes he's wrong. 

11 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Just watched parts 3 and 4. I think it was as transparent and as honest as you could expect from GC and GB. As most have said a communications success which perhaps goes some way to negating some of the less successful communication issues. 

He was maybe too honest when he spoke about Shea Gordon working hard and one of the few not to have a drink .

Don’t think that I would have mentioned that 

45 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

He was maybe too honest when he spoke about Shea Gordon working hard and one of the few not to have a drink .

Don’t think that I would have mentioned that 

I think we all realise that any group of young men will have a bit of fun when abroad. I'm sure they worked hard but we're able to bond. E.g. have a couple of beers. 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Maybe he is......I think many people myself included think the squad was so poor and unbalanced it was hard to judge Caldwell’s performance others disagree ironically many who defended Archie even after he got us relegated ......

i never expected much from this season given how we came down 

ive always been neutral on Caldwell and if we are not pushing for promotion places in say around the end of the first quarter then he will probably have to go 

• Like 1

Very informative and good on the club for releasing this in a box set for us who couldn't manage. Only slight criticism is when ever somebody asked a question from the audience I couldn't always hear them. Caldwell said judge him on results, more than happy to do that.

That was a good watch.  Articulate.  Young and modern.  Explained why and how.  Hats off to the club and to Gary for doing this.

Some background to me.

I love Archie.  Wanted him to stay and was gutted he left.  In hindsight he should have left after relegation.  Still can't work out how we were relegated 12 months on and the relegation was a perfect storm with Maxwell and Beattie leaving.  Caldwell has been an improvement.

I love Erskine.  I'll bore my kids about this guy.  I genuinely get excited seeing him and I'm 41.  Was raging he left.  In hindsight if pushed I'd say it was the right decision.

I worship Doolan.  It's embarassing.  On and off field he is a role model for me let alone younger people.  Caldwell made the choice.  That's his job.  I'm still not happy about it.  It's made me give a lot more to his testimonial!  But like the end of a relationship you need to let go or it eats you up inside.

Partick Thistle is my club.  It is our club.  Forever and ever.  It's genuinely helped me in tough times by just being there, losing yourself in the crowd and forgetting your worries by becoming consumed by working out our formation, frustrated at the full back leaving space and demanding a substitution.  As I said after last season.  We start again.

• Like 9

Have listened to the box set and like others have respect for Caldwell for carrying out the presentation and Q&A. Having had to do something similar on many an occasion I appreciate it isn't an easy thing to do and to all intents GC did it well. I feel (with me anyway) the big picture remains more or less the same. I have tho' been made that bit clearer and I'm more understanding of his tenure having sat thru the little pictures that make up the big one.  I now at least see the rationale behind many of his decisions.

Caldwell has I suppose in fitba vernacular set out his stall and with that it'll be easier for us to agree (for once) whether he's being successful or not. Whether there's enough pragmatism within his management style to change things during a game is another thing we'll no doubt also find out.

Just as an aside issue I was astounded at the turn out and demand for this event. There has in the recent past been been all sorts of well promoted crisis/semi crisis meetings where the turn out has been very poor. I also know there's quite a few posters on here, who have been proactive and heavily involved in various "good of the club" ventures, that must have been disheartened by apparent apathy of the fanbase.

A good point about the turn out  v historical apathy..it's heartening to hear how the vast majority appreciated the event. Can't please all of the people all of the time of course. I'm now looking forward to see what happens next on the transfer front. 

Edited by dl1971
Typo

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

A good point about the turn out  v historical apathy..it's heartening to hear how the vast majority appreciated the event. Can't please all of the people all of the time of course. I'm now looking forward to see what happens next on the transfer front. 

And then on the park.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, allyo said:

The turn out is inevitably due to the fact that most Thistle fans are interested in the football. Club matters, rightly or wrongly, don't capture the attention in the same way.

Sorry, allyo, that doesn't wash. There's been plenty of "meet the manager" events in the past, when concern/interest in team affairs should just have been as high if not higher. 

18 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Sorry, allyo, that doesn't wash. There's been plenty of "meet the manager" events in the past, when concern/interest in team affairs should just have been as high if not higher. 

Ok. Interesting. Maybe Caldwell and his idiosyncracies have captured the attention. Would that be the right word? 

On 5/24/2019 at 12:33 AM, Auld Jag said:

Very informative and good on the club for releasing this in a box set for us who couldn't manage. Only slight criticism is when ever somebody asked a question from the audience I couldn't always hear them. Caldwell said judge him on results, more than happy to do that.

Me too. It was a roller coaster of a season, one week I was wanting him gone the next I was warming to him as a manager. Now the dust of the past season has settled I'm resetting myself and start from a level position next season. Fresh start. I'm going to forget all the shenanigans of the past few weeks and as far as I can only speak for myself I'll form my opinion from what the next season brings.

I'm delighted the club has undertaken the meet the manager and hope I becomes a more regular gig, they should be praised for it. Maybe, if anyone from the club reads the forum, they could do a bigger venue. If weather allowed, they could have it in front of the JL or JH stand. A pop up bar and food stall for the former might bring in a few quid.

I don't have to like GC to appreciate him if he does the job for us.