A night with GC

dl1971

23 minutes ago, east end jag said:

Have to slightly disagree with how you've given Gerry's answer to the Doolan question. He said it maybe could have been handled better. I know it's only a subtle difference, but it certainly wasn't an answer which fully accepted that the way he was allowed to leave was poor.

Yes, you're right. Not a "I'm sorry," more "I'm sorry you're sorry".

When asked for an update on the training ground, the update is there isn't one: they're still trying to get it passed by East Dumbartonshire Council.

There won't be a reserve team next year.

Caldwell is hoping to have two or three players from the youth team in the main squad for the start of the season.

He only spent a third of the budget he was given in the January transfer window, and he says his budget is a lot bigger.

He's hoping to have at least sixteen players signed up for the start of pre-season. He's got them identified but of course couldn't talk about specifics.

Thanks for the updates, jagfox and others. :thumbsup2:.

I'm assuming the night was centred round the manager and football matters as opposed to wider Club issues like the lack of communication, or the selective nature of same. It's just I came away from a recent fans evening feeling positive about things only to be scunnered by what turned out to be no more than patronising rhetoric. Hopefully that isn't the case tonight.

Just one question that intrigues me, Why was it felt necessary to hold this meeting?   

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

30 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Yes, you're right. Not a "I'm sorry," more "I'm sorry you're sorry".

When asked for an update on the training ground, the update is there isn't one: they're still trying to get it passed by East Dumbartonshire Council.

There won't be a reserve team next year.

Caldwell is hoping to have two or three players from the youth team in the main squad for the start of the season.

He only spent a third of the budget he was given in the January transfer window, and he says his budget is a lot bigger.

He's hoping to have at least sixteen players signed up for the start of pre-season. He's got them identified but of course couldn't talk about specifics.

Is that 16 in addition to those still under contract or 16 in total ?

Evening started with Gerry introducing Gary Caldwell. Some jokes about PowerPoint. We then heard a 40ish minute presentation on Gary's football philosophy, how we played when he arrived, the changes he made, how we played after he arrived (pre and post Christmas) and his reflections on how we move forward along with how we prepare for games. Some stats and film accompanied each of the areas.

Some of the points made through these areas that l remember were

- players psychology is really important and needs to be managed with real delicacy. On his arrival this was a real problem area.

- we didn't press other teams enough when we lost the ball. This is important to his philosophy and improved as he managed to shape the team more

- he wanted a strong spine for the team and that influenced his transfer window purchases ( two central defenders, defensive midfielder and forward).

- Questioned some of the teams dedication to the cause. Important they play for team not their own satisfaction. Spoke about you do what's needed for the team.

- Acknowledged McDonald's influence - wanted to sign him earlier but McDonald took his time. Also said he was fitter than he had ever seen him.

- Wasn't able to implement individual training plans to address individual weakness (spoke about Storey and crossing) given our situation ie fighting relegation, but will do this going forward.

- will start pre-season early and have us ready to peak at the beginning of the season.

That's what l remember of the Gary outline of where we were, where we are and what is gonna happen from here.

Hope this is of some help to those not there and not too distorted for those who were!

Edited by east end jag
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

I was a Caldwell fan prior to tonight and nothing has changed. The guy has a plan and knows if it doesn’t work on his head be it. Can see the level of detail that is analyses on a weekly basis. Explained Doolan hasn’t been good enough since he arrived and who really can disagree?  Genuinely think Caldwell could go far in the game and hopefully the start of that is with us

First all not being a Gary Caldwell fan , I have to say he was very eloquent and came across well .

If I was playing Devils Advocate , it looks like he overanalyses things on the park . Seems to be big on fitness which is fine as long as you’ve got ability to go with it . Think the way it was set up with no microphones at the back didn’t help and I think Gary Caldwell and Gerry got off lightly with some of the questions.

Gary Caldwell mentioned his preferred system of 3 - 5 -2  and is obviously big on stats but playing that system you need 2 wing backs who are going to bomb forward and give us width and get assists , last year Penrice had 2 assists , Christie Elliott had 4 , these stats were conveniently not mentioned 

Were told that the reserve team was getting scrapped but no mention of how we’re going to fill the void and give the youngsters a pathway to the first team ( Glasgow Cup excepted )

Think they all got off lightly regarding the treatment of Kris Doolan and it’ll be interesting to see who they bring in , at this moment we’ve no strikers and if they bring in 2 or 3 strikers as good as Doolan I’d be surprised.

Training Academy is slightly behind because of Planning etc.

No mention of scouting system apart from a internet scouting system 

Give Caldwell credit for fronting up but I’m far from convinced we’re on the right lines .

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Went into detail of what type of player he was looking for in January.

20190515_194915.jpg

That was the January transfer window profile.

I thought it was a very interesting evening and from the club's twitter account it looks as if there are plans for another event during pre-season.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, east end jag said:

- will start pre-season early and have us ready to peak at the beginning of the season.

Sorry to selectively quote but Caldwell spoke along the lines that he wants the team to peak January to May, the crucial part of the season. He spoke about Ayr starting well at the beginning of the season and trailing off, and how he is planning for the whole season instead.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

How come your so interested in what is going on anyway Sandy?

last week you posted you were so angry at what was going on at the club you were giving it a break for a year and would see everyone again in season 2020/2021 :happy2:

I’m looking forward to a break from your persistent trolling Matt! ;)

6 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Sorry to selectively quote but Caldwell spoke along the lines that he wants the team to peak January to May, the crucial part of the season. He spoke about Ayr starting well at the beginning of the season and trailing off, and how he is planning for the whole season instead.

Thought that was a bad example mentioning Ayr , main reason their season  stuttered was because Shankland got injured, still made a play off place though .

17 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

That was the January transfer window profile.

I thought it was a very interesting evening and from the club's twitter account it looks as if there are plans for another event during pre-season.

That's what I said :lol:

So looking at the reactions here and elsewhere it seems Caldwell did well and came across as detailed driven and knowledgeable......that’s reinforced by the muted comments from the Negative Group....

he will of course be judged on his results particularly at the end of the first quarter but first two signings promising 

Edited by javeajag

36 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Yes, sorry l phrased it badly. The point l meant to make was that Gary (and he said maybe Gerry as well) often ended pre season training thinking l'm not feeling sharp enough to start the season. This was something he would make sure wouldn't happen with us this year.

Edited by east end jag

10 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So looking at the reactions here and elsewhere it seems Caldwell did well and came across as detailed driven and knowledgeable......that’s reinforced by the muted comments from the Negative Group....

he will of course be judged on his results particularly at the end of the first quarter but first two signings promising 

*happy clapper*