Christie Elliott

Norgethistle

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Very different cases. Archibald and Rowson were playing well. Erskine and Doolan were not.

Fundamentally disagree. By that stage of their careers they were doing their jobs in the team roughly equally as well as Erskine and Doolan were doing theirs at the start of this season. In fact, if we want to draw comparisons, they were the relevant senior players in a season that turned out roughly equally well as the 2010-11 one, in terms of finishing mid table and being underwhelming collectively.

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

You can make a good case for the Doolan departure being handled better and I wont argue back, but on current form you can't claim that he deserves a new contract as a player I even suggested in December that it was time for Dools to move on). I know there maybe a case for making him a coach, but I have no idea if he was any good at it, and is it something he would have been interested in ?

Yes I can make a case for that. With limited game time he has scored more goals this season than strikers that got more game time that we’ve often kept on for scoring less.

Especially with McDonald moving on I think Doolan would have been a major asset to support and give a level head to some fresher faced attacking players signed in this window, even if he wasn’t playing week in week out. Fulfilling a role not dissimilar to Steven Craig or Simon Donnelly/Mark Roberts in previous seasons.

If others are right and Caldwell is going to sign good players, I also think Doolan would have got much better service next year than this. As other people have pointed out on here, Doolan’s actual conversion rate of the chances he’s had is competitive with Dobbie and Shankland; he just doesn’t get as many chances.

All of that is before we talk about his coaching potential, and the example he sets to the wider Thistle organisation, from youth to reserve level. He has already been helping with coaching in our youth set-up and was spoken of very highly by our academy team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Fundamentally disagree. By that stage of their careers they were doing their jobs in the team roughly equally as well as Erskine and Doolan were doing theirs at the start of this season. In fact, if we want to draw comparisons, they were the relevant senior players in a season that turned out roughly equally well as the 2010-11 one, in terms of finishing mid table and being underwhelming collectively.

Yes I can make a case for that. With limited game time he has scored more goals this season than strikers that got more game time that we’ve often kept on for scoring less.

Especially with McDonald moving on I think Doolan would have been a major asset to support and give a level head to some fresher faced attacking players signed in this window, even if he wasn’t playing week in week out. Fulfilling a role not dissimilar to Steven Craig or Simon Donnelly/Mark Roberts in previous seasons.

If others are right and Caldwell is going to sign good players, I also think Doolan would have got much better service next year than this. As other people have pointed out on here, Doolan’s actual conversion rate of the chances he’s had is competitive with Dobbie and Shankland; he just doesn’t get as many chances.

All of that is before we talk about his coaching potential, and the example he sets to the wider Thistle organisation, from youth to reserve level. He has already been helping with coaching in our youth set-up and was spoken of very highly by our academy team.

Any decision over Kris’s future should have been ratified at a higher level than Caldwell due to the standing he had within the Club.

It’s beyond belief that someone wouldn’t have seen the value of Kris Doolan either as a player , Academy Coach , Ambassador for the Club and promoting it in the right way , as you mentioned there must have been value as well of mentoring young strikers coming through as well

We could be in a scenario that Caldwell gets sacked at Xmas if results don’t go his way and he could have possibly left a trail of distruction behind him .

Shouldn’t have been allowed to happen .

4 hours ago, Dark Passenger said:

I don't necessarily think Caldwell has, either.

Let's be honest, bar Doolan, none of the players released last week have come as a shock or disappointment. GC still has a decent squad of players largely in their mid-late 20s to build a squad around. 

They’re the bath water. Doolan and Erskine were the baby.

Can we change the name of this thread to Christie Elliott (with two t's).

It's the least we can do to show our appreciation for his efforts in a Jags shirt this last eight years.

I'm sad to see Christie go, and wish him all the best for the future. Gave his all for the cause.

4 hours ago, ScottyDFA said:

Can we change the name of this thread to Christie Elliott (with two t's).

It's the least we can do to show our appreciation for his efforts in a Jags shirt this last eight years.

I'm sad to see Christie go, and wish him all the best for the future. Gave his all for the cause.

This. 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Let's  face it, we "can do better" in every single position in the team, and the manager. 

But the fact that we don't is why we are where we are. 

Need to change the Club around , coach young players properly and give them a pathway to the first team team , a manager like Caldwell coming in with no proven track record of coaching and youth development is absolutely no use .

He is going for the quick fix ( Kris Boyd , Kenny Miler ) and don’t kid yourself he’s here for the long haul , we need something in place that is a sustainable business model for years to come .

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Need to change the Club around , coach young players properly and give them a pathway to the first team team , a manager like Caldwell coming in with no proven track record of coaching and youth development is absolutely no use .

He is going for the quick fix ( Kris Boyd , Kenny Miler ) and don’t kid yourself he’s here for the long haul , we need something in place that is a sustainable business model for years to come .

Is there anything about Partick Thistle you like ? 

I know Christie has announced he is leaving but I don’t see anything on the clubs Twitter or the website, you would think they would post saying Christie hasn’t accepted the deal and we thank him for the last 7 years. I wonder if they have spat the dummy and aren’t going to even acknowledge he has left.

1 hour ago, jags on tour said:

I know Christie has announced he is leaving but I don’t see anything on the clubs Twitter or the website, you would think they would post saying Christie hasn’t accepted the deal and we thank him for the last 7 years. I wonder if they have spat the dummy and aren’t going to even acknowledge he has left.

You mean something like this:

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/christie-elliott-set-to-leave-the-club/