Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

7 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Erskine hasn’t been great at his other clubs either some sort of 2013 curse?

Or maybe its because mediocre is more acceptable at Firhill. The expectation of, say Erskine, to perform consistently at a high level was never achieved. At us, we accepted that for every bad game he could have an outstanding one.

1 hour ago, MonehJags said:

Or maybe its because mediocre is more acceptable at Firhill. The expectation of, say Erskine, to perform consistently at a high level was never achieved. At us, we accepted that for every bad game he could have an outstanding one.

Probably just interesting that all three that left us in 2013 all of them have struggled especially Jackie at the same club.

11 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Never understood the anti-Paul Paton sentiment. Gave 100% and was our captain in one of the best teams i have seen that got us promoted.

Did he not imply he had done us a favour by playing at Cowdenbeath one night when he had his medical booked for the following morning?

Paul Paton did fine after leaving us. He's just getting on a bit.

Worth remembering that he was only good for us for about 3/4 of a season. Before that he spent about 3 years punting long and useless crosses in from the half way line as a right back.

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

Maybe. At least the 350k will ensure that our esteemed chairman can have a super duper sunshine training session this coming season.

GRE, today's unusual burst of positivity from you will not wash with the usual suspects on this forum!!!!

I'll offer a note of realism to this particular discussion. The appearance of the cash will depend on how the payments are staged.........................might be a tenner a week for the length of the contract for all we know.

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Wonder if he's in Clarke's thoughts. Suddenly seems to be several young central defenders of similar decent standard coming through.

McKenna and Mulgrew appear to be the favoured pair at present. Grant Hanley is still a worthy option.

Souttar is injured and Jack Hendry has been obliterated from the picture.

I certainly hope Liam would be considered as a replacement for Berra, who shouldn't have been near a Scotland squad since Ljubljana.

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

17.5% sell on I read. 350k. A total of 650k. Pretty paltry is this day and age.

Still,  better than a kick in the arse. Well done whoever arranged a sell on in the contract. I know it's common place but still

I know there will be a clammer for the money from Lindsay's sell on to get spent on players but I would prefer to see some of it used for that but the rest used for things which will last for a longer term like repairing things that need fixed around the stadium. We could throw all of it at players and still not get promoted but the repairs would still need done so better to fix the roof whilst the sun shines in my opinion.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I know there will be a clammer for the money from Lindsay's sell on to get spent on players but I would prefer to see some of it used for that but the rest used for things which will last for a longer term like repairing things that need fixed around the stadium. We could throw all of it at players and still not get promoted but the repairs would still need done so better to fix the roof whilst the sun shines in my opinion.

I thought the plan was money from transfers of players brought through academy was supposed to go back into the academy to make it self sustainable ultimately.  I may have entirely misinterpreted that at some point though. 

12 minutes ago, jaf said:

I thought the plan was money from transfers of players brought through academy was supposed to go back into the academy to make it self sustainable ultimately.  I may have entirely misinterpreted that at some point though. 

I'm sure I read similar at the time. Not sure of it was before or after Weir Thistle though.

Hopefully the money is partly used to get the management's first team targets in place. 

13 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Hardly paltry in thistle terms. The most we have ever received in our transfer history. Good news methinks.

It is good , not really sure what “ thistle terms “ means , but we should focus on the Academy and make better use of it , if you look at what Motherwell, Hamilton, Hibs have achieved and the transfer fees they’ve generated by coaching their young players , giving them a pathway to the first team and ultimately selling them on for big money. Motherwell have certainly reaped the rewards with the fees attached to Jake Hastie and  David Turnbull, still think Liam Lindsay was totally undervalued at 350k even with add ons .

Needs to be more focus on the Academy in my opinion to make it worthwhile.

20 hours ago, Weebaw1 said:

That’s an excellent point.

MacNamara turned him into a huge asset for us so credit to both player and manager. It doesn’t mean we have to like either though!

And I think he’s been pretty rubbish since he left us, for every team he played for.

And so has Jackie!!

Despite all the baggage that went with Jackie Mac , he definitely had an eye for a player up in Scotland, our two current full backs playing for Scotland just now Andy Robertson and SODs were signed up by Mcnamara 

He changed PTFC  with his training methods , the Sports Science and the way we played .

If he hadn’t left in the manner he did and burned his bridges , I would have taken him back .

Interesting with all the signings at Dunfermline, what input Jackie Mac had in all of it .

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

I'm sure I read similar at the time. Not sure of it was before or after Weir Thistle though.

Hopefully the money is partly used to get the management's first team targets in place. 

Hopefully the money we receive isn’t used to fund any perceived transfer of Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd, quick fix with no value at the end of their contracts