Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

The strange thing is that Doolan is rumoured to be signing for Dundee next week and there fans, from what I have seen on P&B, are not jumping for joy about it but we would say he is a good player and will score goals. However Miller and Boyd who both have long track records of goal scoring are not considered by some to be worth signing. Personally I would be happy enough with either of them to help with the objective of getting promoted this season. Not every signing has to be for the long term.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

The strange thing is that Doolan is rumoured to be signing for Dundee next week and there fans, from what I have seen on P&B, are not jumping for joy about it but we would say he is a good player and will score goals. However Miller and Boyd who both have long track records of goal scoring are not considered by some to be worth signing. Personally I would be happy enough with either of them to help with the objective of getting promoted this season. Not every signing has to be for the long term.

If we’re talking about Doolan at 32 with his best days allegedly behind him which I don’t think is the case to be replaced by a 36 yr old Kris Boyd who scored 2 goals last season or an almost 40 yr old striker in Kenny Miller who scored 8 times last year . Surely we’re looking for a striker at a good age who we can coach and improve and who has scored goals even at a lower level whether that was a Kevin Nisbet or a Blair Henderson for example 

I’m not sure where the value or logic is in that in signing players that are  quite obviously past their sell by date .

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Really? Read previous posts. As per jlsarmy.

Transfer market in Scotland is really just about a few teams. If I remember right Liam hadn't long signed a new contract with us before he was  transferred. So there was probably a release clause in it.

8 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If we’re talking about Doolan at 32 with his best days allegedly behind him which I don’t think is the case to be replaced by a 36 yr old Kris Boyd who scored 2 goals last season or an almost 40 yr old striker in Kenny Miller who scored 8 times last year . Surely we’re looking for a striker at a good age who we can coach and improve and who has scored goals even at a lower level whether that was a Kevin Nisbet or a Blair Henderson for example 

I’m not sure where the value or logic is in that in signing players that are  quite obviously past their sell by date .

Tbh miller scored more goals than Doolan last year in a higher division doesn’t really back your idea of keeping Doolan- we did not get value for money from Doolan last year.

one of miller or Boyd I could live with but don’t want both would be very disappointed if we got both of them which meant we missed out on the likes of oli Shaw or Zak Rudden both who was add more to the score sheet than either Doolan, miller or boydBoyd

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Tbh miller scored more goals than Doolan last year in a higher division doesn’t really back your idea of keeping Doolan- we did not get value for money from Doolan last year.

one of miller or Boyd I could live with but don’t want both would be very disappointed if we got both of them which meant we missed out on the likes of oli Shaw or Zak Rudden both who was add more to the score sheet than either Doolan, miller or boydBoyd

No idea about Ollie Shaw but Rangers are looking to put Rudden out to Doncaster or Bristol Rovers

What I would say if we play with the same style of play we did for 3/4 of last season, no striker will score a barrowload a goals 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No idea about Ollie Shaw but Rangers are looking to put Rudden out to Doncaster or Bristol Rovers

What I would say if we play with the same style of play we did for 3/4 of last season, no striker will score a barrowload a goals 

21 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

That’s very disappointing if we have lost out on Rudden with reports he was heading our way

Edited by Third Lanark

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Hopefully the money we receive isn’t used to fund any perceived transfer of Kenny Miller or Kris Boyd, quick fix with no value at the end of their contracts 

The irony alone would be laughable.

I'm veering towards the opinion that Caldwell shouldn't see any or very little of this money.

I don't believe we should be paying lip service to our youth policy. As I understand it the Weirs put up capital costs to set up the academy. In fairness they most likely underwrite considerable on going costs as well. But the concept is for the academy to stand on its own feet eventually.

Even logically monies re-invested in the youth set up should make the Club more sustainable when we return to the top division. That to me trumps any quick fix, which of course would almost certainly be preferable to the football manager

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Has it been confirmed that we will sign boyd or Miller? Has it even been confirmed we are even interested? I agree we should if possible get a striker in his prime. Hopefully the lindsay windfall will make that possible.

2 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Has it been confirmed that we will sign boyd or Miller? Has it even been confirmed we are even interested? I agree we should if possible get a striker in his prime. Hopefully the lindsay windfall will make that possible.

Manager came out publicly and said it was a “ no brainer  “ if Miller or Boyd became available 

4 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

As per LIB, I'd rather see this money reinvested back onto our youth academy. 

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End said:

Well Caldwell said he only used 1/3rd of his January budget. I assume that remainder is lumped onto this season's and should be enough for to mount a challenge. 

If GC told me it was raining outside I'd open the window to check. Just saying.

I do not want to see either boyd nor Miller at our club but, it might be the case that GC wants an old head to talk the likes of mansell through games the same way as Macdonald did last season. 

7 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

McKenna and Mulgrew appear to be the favoured pair at present. Grant Hanley is still a worthy option.

Souttar is injured and Jack Hendry has been obliterated from the picture.

I certainly hope Liam would be considered as a replacement for Berra, who shouldn't have been near a Scotland squad since Ljubljana.

It's brilliant having all these Scotland central defenders whose names end in "A".

Whilst I wouldn't describe the amount we will receive for Lindsay sale as 'paltry', to me it is disappointing as it could have been a lot more. I believe we were in a position of strength when Barnsley were  buying Liam, as they were already getting him at a relatively cheap price.. The sell on percentage should have been higher than the 15% (Alan Nixon's claim) quoted. St Mirren received 30% of the money Aston Villa paid for John McGinn, after Hibs had paid only a development fee. Look at the fees Hamilton got for their players (Hendrie, McArthur, Andreu, McCarthy) years ago as well. Lindsay maybe not at same level, granted, but there is even more money down south than there was when the Hamilton players left.

Also, Lindsay is entering the last year of his contract so Stoke getting a good deal. Could have been double that, given the funny money teams spend in England.

4 minutes ago, Jag said:

Whilst I wouldn't describe the amount we will receive for Lindsay sale as 'paltry', to me it is disappointing as it could have been a lot more. I believe we were in a position of strength when Barnsley were  buying Liam, as they were already getting him at a relatively cheap price.. The sell on percentage should have been higher than the 15% (Alan Nixon's claim) quoted. St Mirren received 30% of the money Aston Villa paid for John McGinn, after Hibs had paid only a development fee. Look at the fees Hamilton got for their players (Hendrie, McArthur, Andreu, McCarthy) years ago as well. Lindsay maybe not at same level, granted, but there is even more money down south than there was when the Hamilton players left.

Also, Lindsay is entering the last year of his contract so Stoke getting a good deal. Could have been double that, given the funny money teams spend in England.

I would say Liam Lindsay is better quality than Tony Andreu and Stephen Hendrie who never really cut it down South, think Maxie did the deal , whatever happened to him ?

We should have done a lot better out of that deal in my opinion, considering the players you mentioned Andreu and Hendry went for a million quid .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

If Lindsay gets another transfer in the future are we entitled to another fee? I'm thinking of the £50m that Liverpool will pay Stoke in 2 years time...

And no doubt some would still complain on here! I look at this as glass half full. Lindsay could just wait another year and we would get hee haw. A lot of luck involved in these scenarios. Let's not forget he is not an international player as yet ( I hope he gets there ) so if we pocket 650k all in I say thank feck. That's about 30 trips to tenerife....

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

If Lindsay gets another transfer in the future are we entitled to another fee? I'm thinking of the £50m that Liverpool will pay Stoke in 2 years time...

Usually a one time only clause but you never know.

Edited by DareToDoolan

Not too concerned @allyo,  most players agents will still be considering their options. If we are still light after the league cup group starts I'll start on my nails and ramp up the negativity on here:wacko: