Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

43 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Totally underwhelmed , doesn’t really go with the prospective new owners template of players under 25!

Any team needs experience through it. Most of the young lads don’t have that experience themselves yet. 

5 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

I think Miller will be a great signing for us. How can you compare him to Doolan? One has played at a high level, one is a nice guy. Guys like Miller could play for another 5 year in this league

Though Doolan didn’t play at the highest level, the majority of Doolans goals and games were in the Premier League.

Nothing to do with Doolan  being a nice guy , is that relevant?  You’re replacing a 32 yr old with a 40 yr old whose best days are behind him.

As a progressive , ambitious football club , is that the way to go .

Said the same about Gary Harkins ( 2 yr deal )throwing money  away on players who are past their best when we should be investing in the future.

• Like 1

I've no idea whether Kenny Miller will be a good signing or not. I thought Scott MacDonald - retired, hadn't played football for six months - was a bizzare signing, but that worked out okay. What I really don't get, though, is the view that we should only be signing young players and 'building for the future'. The future is now. We need to get promoted out of the Championship as soon as possible. Experienced players will make that more likely, not less. Also, young players need older heads around them to bring them on. Let's hope Kenny Miller is the kind of player who'll do just that.

(And as for the comparisons with Doolan - enough already. He's gone. He wouldn't have made a significant contribution for Thistle in the coming season. Whether he will for Ayr remains to be seen.)

• Like 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

One of my least favourite Scotland players ever. Still he is now a Jag, so I hope it is a master stroke by GC.

Sixth all time top scorer. Always seemed to give his all when I saw him play for Scotland? What did you dislike about him DD? Genuine question btw :hypocrite:

Not Championship but interesting times for SOD too...

Kilmarnock full-back Stephen O'Donnell is a target for four English sides - Middlesbrough, Derby, Stoke and Sheffield United - as he enters the final year of his contract.

48 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Sixth all time top scorer. Always seemed to give his all when I saw him play for Scotland? What did you dislike about him DD? Genuine question btw :hypocrite:

Probably irrational, but when did a football supporter have to be rational. My memory is of him running around like a headless chicken and having no end product, while all the time moaning in the refs ear or flapping his hands at who ever gave him a pass that wasn't right on his toe.

I also recall shouting F*** S*** Miller every 5 minutes

Edited by Dick Dastardly

19 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Probably irrational, but when did a football supporter have to be rational. My memory is of him running around like a headless chicken and having no end product, while all the time moaning in the refs ear or flapping his hands at who ever gave him a pass that wasn't right on his toe.

I also recall shouting F*** S*** Miller every 5 minutes

Pretty irrational until taking into account that you are a Thistle and Scotland fan lol

Hopefully the opposition fans are muttering F@#k Sakes Miller this season!

We’ve had plenty ex (old Rangers)players in the past who have done well for us.

Granted Watson and O’Hara were a generation away but I recall many dissenters when they signed due to their relationship with the filth. They were both fully committed Jags, always giving 100%.

As long as he’s fit enough he’ll be a success at this level as McDonald was. 

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Though Doolan didn’t play at the highest level, the majority of Doolans goals and games were in the Premier League.

Nothing to do with Doolan  being a nice guy , is that relevant?  You’re replacing a 32 yr old with a 40 yr old whose best days are behind him.

As a progressive , ambitious football club , is that the way to go .

Said the same about Gary Harkins ( 2 yr deal )throwing money  away on players who are past their best when we should be investing in the future.

You could argue that they're best days are behind them both. IMO, I think Miller is a class above Doolan even at 39. Welcome to Firhill and here's to a successful season

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

I've no idea whether Kenny Miller will be a good signing or not. I thought Scott MacDonald - retired, hadn't played football for six months - was a bizzare signing, but that worked out okay.

Just okay?

If it wasn't for Scott MacDonald's goals we would be playing in League 1 this season.

Scott MacDonald was a fantastic signing for us.

6 hours ago, MonehJags said:

I think Miller will be a great signing for us. How can you compare him to Doolan? One has played at a high level, one is a nice guy. Guys like Miller could play for another 5 year in this league

Should have given him a 5yr contact then