Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

21 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Any idea what age he was when he came to us? I'm looking for an excuse for being way too ignorant of our players

No idea of his age when he came to us. The following is from the programme, D.O.S. 28/5/2009, previous club PTFC U17. Also has A against his name which means Academy Graduate.

Caldwell said at the meet the manager that we would be the first team back in pre season in  Scotland. With a lot of teams back next Monday we must be back this week I assume. Got to think at least 2 strikers will be announced taking us to a squad of 16 ( again what he indicated at meet the manager ) for start of pre season

56 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

Caldwell said at the meet the manager that we would be the first team back in pre season in  Scotland. With a lot of teams back next Monday we must be back this week I assume. Got to think at least 2 strikers will be announced taking us to a squad of 16 ( again what he indicated at meet the manager ) for start of pre season

He said at the meet the manager night it was going to be a 7 week pre season, it’s only 4 and a bit weeks to the first League Cup game , not sure if he’s not bothering about the League Cup games and treating them as part of the pre season. 

I guess he'll do a job but it's not exactly planning for the future. Then again perhaps, like having Scott Macdonald,  it's an experienced striker (and a good one in his day) to help educate the younger strikers? Should we sign any. It was evident how skippy helped and encouraged mansell last season.

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

I guess he'll do a job but it's not exactly planning for the future. Then again perhaps, like having Scott Macdonald,  it's an experienced striker (and a good one in his day) to help educate the younger strikers? Should we sign any. It was evident how skippy helped and encouraged mansell last season.

Think Kris Boyd is keeping his options just now , waiting to see who the manager is down there , Ayr United after him as well .

15 hours ago, Steevo said:

Good you’re reassured. Not sure who has over rated Slater, the boy is a decent player at this level as is Banzo. Jury still out on Gordon I think. We don’t set up to have box to box midfielders. These guys obey the managers command or they’re out of the team. Agree, think Tidser would be a good addition but we obviously couldn’t tempt him away from Falkirk,if indeed we were in for him in the first place.

In my opinion, anyone suggesting that Slater should be in our team is over rating him.

I think Gordon is good but he's not an attacking midfielder for me.  He is, as you say, a box to box player or more suited to a defensive role. 

16 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Shankland has a more overall game while Nesbit a penalty box striker has had one good season in league 1.

You referenced Nisbet's goal tally during a couple of loan spells in the championship as a reason for not wanting to sign him. If you had seen Shankland during his last two loan spells in the championship, I can assure you your view on his ability would be different.

41 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think Kris Boyd is keeping his options just now , waiting to see who the manager is down there , Ayr United after him as well .

That might sway it for him, I believe the travelling when he was at rangers was a real pisser as he didn't want to move away from ayrshire. Probably won't be about money for him. Won't be disappointed if he doesn't come to us.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

On a tour of The Mestalla in Valencia yesterday and got talking to a Killie fan. He told me that Killie fans have been hearing for a while about Kris Boyd joining us. So. Maybe it is happening?

Ah my second home ! Will back there in September for a match ... sad to see it go soon 

On 6/4/2019 at 11:14 AM, West of Scotland said:

The transfer window hasn't even opened yet, so unless all we're going to do is sign up out of contract players, it seems a little premature to be panicking about our lack of strikers.

Transfer window has been open for ages and despite several statements that "Kris Boyd is going to sign tomorrow" there is still no sightings on Maryhill Rd.

Am I allowed to panic yet ?

12 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Transfer window has been open for ages and despite several statements that "Kris Boyd is going to sign tomorrow" there is still no sightings on Maryhill Rd.

Am I allowed to panic yet ?

The Pieman Cometh was cancelled last week.:D

20 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

No idea of his age when he came to us. The following is from the programme, D.O.S. 28/5/2009, previous club PTFC U17. Also has A against his name which means Academy Graduate.

I'm pretty sure Bannigan was 16 - maybe just turned 16 when he joined us.  I think he was just 17  when he played his first game for us (sub), then at 18 out on loan to Ayr Utd where he did well and the rest is history. 

He was looking to be a terrific young player before he got injured.  Still a decent player for us last season but seemed not quite the player he was.  Hopefully, this season he will push on and get closer to the player we used to see.  If he did we'd have  player who could play defensive mid, play-maker or attacking midfield and be good in each role.  OK, but it's pre-season still and you're allowed to dream before the reality of real league games bites.

Addenda: even if he's the same, if the coaches could teach how and when to tackle properly it would improve him no end.  Even when he used to be very good that was a big failing of his, getting unnecessary bookings.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jag said:

You referenced Nisbet's goal tally during a couple of loan spells in the championship as a reason for not wanting to sign him. If you had seen Shankland during his last two loan spells in the championship, I can assure you your view on his ability would be different.

Yes because as a penalty box as he is described you would expect more goals than Shankland who the Ayr fans say has a link up/ hold up play that Nisbet doesn’t have.

2 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Nisbet's hold up play was too class when he played lone attacker at McDiarmid Pk. One swallow and all that but nobody could argue that he didn't know what he was doing. 

That was easily Kevin Nisbets best night in a Thistle jersey , ragdolled Stephen Anderson that night , anyone who had watched him in the development squad could see he had something as he scored goals for fun.

What was always levelled at him was he didn’t work hard enough on the park and possibly his attitude wasn’t right .

I would have taken a chance on him , looks like he’s matured a bit , he’s got more of a goal threat and a physicality than possibly Mansell if he’s going to resign.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Aiden Nesbett who was on loan for us a couple of years ago from Celtic has signed for Morton 

I thought he looked decent for Dundee United but didn't get much game time - probably a luxury player at this level, but could be a good signing as definitely has skill