Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

I quite like Ayr. I'm happy for Dools, hope he does well.

As for Kenny Miller, open mind. He's not my favourite person (based on very little), but I don't don't get the impression that Caldwell is looking to build a cosy environment. Fair enough, there's more than one way to build a successful team.

38 minutes ago, MonehJags said:

Doolan is a Thistle Legend. Its in the history books.

I don't think his signing for Ayr will come back to haunt us though. Its good if your getting into double figures if your a midfielder but we need a striker to be scoring 20 odd goals a season.

Unfortunately we’ve got neither 

19 hours ago, jagfox said:

Signing Kenny Miller is certainly a gamble with the apparent fallouts that have occurred at all of his recent clubs.

Also even a fit 40 year old will be on the downturn. 

Then again he is still putting the ball in the net and brings a wealth of playing experience.

Probably the closest to Scott McDonald we would get at the moment.

Could be another McDonald type signing or the anti-McDonald leaving us toothless upfront mounting pressure on Caldwell.

At least this pre-season is nothing if not interesting from a Thistle perspective... 

3 hours ago, jaf said:

Good luck to Dools - hope it works out for him.

Re Miller - spoke to 2 Dundee season ticket holders at work - both unanimous - decent for putting on for  last 10/15 minutes, good for a goal, but pretty disruptive, allegedly telling the coaches what to do etc.

Couple of observations, I was very against skippy being signed. Principally cos he was a wee bugger cheating so and so when he'd played against us but I also thought he would be too old, unmotivated and generally disinterested. Wow was I wrong. Perhaps Miller would surprise me as well.

Also as you've pointed out jaf, he has been fairly disruptive and his arrogance preceeds him.  But I seem to remember GC referring to him on sportsound one Tuesday as being his good friend, and I suspect GC will not accept being told what to do by anyone, sir alex, pep etc, never mind being told what's what by a player. 

I'm disappointed we are not planning for the future by signing a player of this age but don't share these concerns.

4 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Daily Record saying that Norwich are signing Aidan Fitzpatrick. 

Not really enjoying this close season...

Local paper seems on the ball too...

"Thistle boss Stephen Caldwell said of the rejected bid in January: "There is little doubt in my mind that Aidan will, at some point in his career, move on and potentially play at the very highest level"

9 minutes ago, p12tfc said:

This time last year id have said no way to Miller. Having seen the impact McDonald had though I’m not against the idea of having an experienced pro as one of our front men

McDonald more or less hit the ground running requiring little time to get match fit. Not much later he was capable of putting in a full 90 mins. If you're comparing Miller to McDonald I think there's more differences than similarities these days.

13 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

McDonald more or less hit the ground running requiring little time to get match fit. Not much later he was capable of putting in a full 90 mins. If you're comparing Miller to McDonald I think there's more differences than similarities these days.

Kenny has always been ready to chase an empty crisp poke around a windy car park.. 

• Like 1

If Miller signs, then it should be taken in the context of the overall balance of the striking options.

I think Caldwell will be looking for at least 4 strikers in the first team squad, given that he normally plays 2 upfront and judging by the large numbers of strikers post January last season. I also think he'll look for a reasonably experienced striker, say at least mid twenties, with decent track record and a younger striker, probably on loan from a (Scottish) Premiership club.

As an example, striking options of Graham, Rudden, Miller and Mansell would be a good blend of youth and experience, with Miller used selectively.

Looking forward to seeing how the squad shapes up in the coming weeks.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

Local paper seems on the ball too...

"Thistle boss Stephen Caldwell said of the rejected bid in January: "There is little doubt in my mind that Aidan will, at some point in his career, move on and potentially play at the very highest level"

Can't believe I was calling for Gary caldwell to go, then this bampot board appoint Stephen caldwell. He's a complete diddy and should be nowhere near our club. Disgraceful scenes. Is there no consortium out there who can come and save us from these idiot yanks.......

22 minutes ago, Cults Jag said:

If Miller signs, then it should be taken in the context of the overall balance of the striking options.

I think Caldwell will be looking for at least 4 strikers in the first team squad, given that he normally plays 2 upfront and judging by the large numbers of strikers post January last season. I also think he'll look for a reasonably experienced striker, say at least mid twenties, with decent track record and a younger striker, probably on loan from a (Scottish) Premiership club.

As an example, striking options of Graham, Rudden, Miller and Mansell would be a good blend of youth and experience, with Miller used selectively.

Looking forward to seeing how the squad shapes up in the coming weeks.

The lad white from ICT was mentioned last month as a target but been quiet since then

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

Daily Record saying that Norwich are signing Aidan Fitzpatrick. 

Not really enjoying this close season...

Apparently they offered £300,000 and we told them to go raffle themselves. Feeling a bit cheerier now. What is it with English clubs? Do they think they can just offer the natives a few shiny glass beads and they'll get whatever they want? If Turnbull is worth £2,500,000, then Fitzpatrick should be around the million mark...

Just now, Firhillista said:

Apparently they offered £300,000 and we told them to go raffle themselves. Feeling a bit cheerier now. What is it with English clubs? Do they think they can just offer the natives a few shiny glass beads and they'll get whatever they want? If Turnbull is worth £2,500,000, then Fitzpatrick should be around the million mark...

After 20 first team games . Seriously?

3 hours ago, Cults Jag said:

Depends how highly you rate Mansell. I'd say it would have to be very highly. I myself reckon he could improve and be a fairly decent enough striking option in future seasons. But I don't believe tho' we should pin all our hopes on him. This time next year there's hardly a realistic hope we will be in the market to sign Rudden, Graham will close to being 33 and Miller a goner. I really believe there's gotta be something more joiny up in our planning.