Championship transfer thread - all the ins...

Dark Passenger

On first view I would agree this is a paltry sum compared to other transfers from Scotland to England. Thenp when you think that at best Aiden has been a bit part player this is a good return.

I think saying we are clueless and allowing our tummy to be tickled is harsh. As is the case with most transfers we will never know all the facts so how can we fully judge.

There are way too many factors in this and most other transfers where a fee is involved. @sandy reported on the forum Norwich's interest last season and the fee on offer and that he had been told Aidens mum wanted him, as did he, to stay for another season. But perhaps once they realised the money on offer (life changing presumably) and you factor in that perhaps he suffers a serious injury over the next season then all that is lost. Its a difficult decision before you even doctor in improbables. If Aiden has decided he is going then the best the club can do is secure the best deal possible for the club and also the player which as others have said, send a message out to future academy signings.

Am I alone in thinking that AF was a wee bit overhyped?

I never saw him in the reserves/under 18s, but, apart from a great run and one-on-one goal for the big team, I was never all that convinced of his contribution to the cause.

Maybe 350k will look like a very shrewd piece of business if he fails to cut the mustard "darn souf".

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Takeover or no takeover the money coming in for Lindsay and Fitzpatrick should enable us to really push for a promotion challenge this season. Or am I being too optimistic?

Don’t think you are. With that money we should be able to get quite a number of decent players signed up and have a good go at promotion.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Don’t think you are. With that money we should be able to get quite a number of decent players signed up and have a good go at promotion.

Not sure about that Big Col , until any possible takeover is finalised I think it will put players off from committing their future to us because of the ambiguity of the situation.

4 hours ago, Big Col said:

I sincerely hope as a matter of policy much of this money is earmarked for the academy. Same goes with Lindsay money. I'm sure our manager would still see a fair percentage to boost his budget. 

37 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I sincerely hope as a matter of policy much of this money is earmarked for the academy. Same goes with Lindsay money. I'm sure our manager would still see a fair percentage to boost his budget. 

50 50 would perhaps be sensible for the long term. But if I was the manager and my neck was on the line I think I would ask for as much as I would get. If we seriously want to challenge the two Dundee teams this year we have to commit serious money. Alternatively we don't spend much and hope for the play offs. Dilemna 

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

50 50 would perhaps be sensible for the long term. But if I was the manager and my neck was on the line I think I would ask for as much as I would get. If we seriously want to challenge the two Dundee teams this year we have to commit serious money. Alternatively we don't spend much and hope for the play offs. Dilemna 

Shouldn't really be scope for a dilemma. Not saying policy should be written in stone but the academy is supposed to be self financing in time. I see a parallel in Caldwell getting too much of this money and a tycoon dipping into the pension fund.

Every year there's always going to be a reason to use money that should be going to the academy to challenge and compete with some club or other. The overriding factor is we're supposed to be self sufficient or at worst striving towards self sufficiency. Obviously any takeover moves the goalposts but that's for now a separate matter. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Shouldn't really be scope for a dilemma. Not saying policy should be written in stone but the academy is supposed to be self financing in time. I see a parallel in Caldwell getting too much of this money and a tycoon dipping into the pension fund.

Every year there's always going to be a reason to use money that should be going to the academy to challenge and compete with some club or other. The overriding factor is we're supposed to be self sufficient or at worst striving towards self sufficiency. Obviously any takeover moves the goalposts but that's for now a separate matter. 

Taking the information regarding Caldwell’s transfer activity as FACT he seems to be in the positive so I don’t get this trope of GC getting TOO much money. Arguably he’s not getting enough!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Taking the information regarding Caldwell’s transfer activity as FACT he seems to be in the positive so I don’t get this trope of GC getting TOO much money. Arguably he’s not getting enough!

Sorry, that was perhaps misleading.

For me tho' the point still stands. A substantial share of the profits from transfers and add ons accrued from ex academy players (Liam & Aiden) should be ring fenced for the academy.  How else are we going to make the academy self sufficient? Indeed I'm sure that is the overall plan rather than rely on Mr Weir's continuing generosity. So nothing like the total income from Liam's add on and Fitzy's transfer money should be going to the manager regardless of his prudence within his budget. Thus the emphasis is on "this" when I said "too much of this money"

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

19 hours ago, Rid Skwerr said:

Am I alone in thinking that AF was a wee bit overhyped?

I never saw him in the reserves/under 18s, but, apart from a great run and one-on-one goal for the big team, I was never all that convinced of his contribution to the cause.

Maybe 350k will look like a very shrewd piece of business if he fails to cut the mustard "darn souf".

Yes - you are the boy.

the boy looks the real deal to me. Pace, composure and a bundles of talent. A Scotland call up at any level surely awaits.