“Get to the ball”

gerrybritton9

At the meeting the other night Caldwell said that he wanted to put opponents under pressure 

“Good players cannot play under pressure and average players certainly can’t.”

he said that he and Kerso’s mantra is:

”Get to the ball”

looking forward to shouting this from the JH next season!!!

I think to be really successful in the championship, the 'pressing game' is one that should be used whenever you don't have the ball, and I agree that good players hate being harried by the opposing team, and middling players do not cope well at all when they are not allowed time to think, and consider their next pass …. so what happened in the game against Dunfermline in April I wonder?

That game we allowed one of the worst teams to visit Firhill this season as much time on the ball as they wanted for 25 minutes, and let them score two goals before we actually woke up and started to play.

I wonder if at the meet the manager night, did GC have any words to say about what happened that day? 

10 minutes ago, gerrybritton9 said:

Probably best to watch the video back but the impression I got was that things were better and good but far, far from perfect 

By his own standards this is not good enough and it hurts him deeply 

Are you related to the Manager ? , bit emotive “ hurts him deeply “ ?

20 minutes ago, gerrybritton9 said:

Probably best to watch the video back but the impression I got was that things were better and good but far, far from perfect 

By his own standards this is not good enough and it hurts him deeply 

Remind me, how many relegations have there been?

1 hour ago, gerrybritton9 said:

He really was hurt deeply. He absolutely believes in this 

How do you know that - complete nonsense - we are just a job to him - we blew the Parachute Payment money to stay up on the last game of the Season - he knows if he fails here then his Career is Finished - Thistle means Nada to him - we are a means to an end 

Pretty much most Managers we would employ are the same - so save the nonsense - he gets a fresh start next Season - the only Reason for the " Gary Show" was to deflect from getting rid of Dools and the Bad PR with lots of people saying they won't buy Season Tickets 

Jesus H Christ Mate - between your wee PMs with Jlo and Gary Being "Hurt Deeply"   

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

How do you know that - complete nonsense - we are just a job to him - we blew the Parachute Payment money to stay up on the last game of the Season - he knows if he fails here then his Career is Finished - Thistle means Nada to him - we are a means to an end 

Pretty much most Managers we would employ are the same - so save the nonsense - he gets a fresh start next Season - the only Reason for the " Gary Show" was to deflect from getting rid of Dools and the Bad PR with lots of people saying they won't buy Season Tickets 

Jesus H Christ Mate - between your wee PMs with Jlo and Gary Being "Hurt Deeply"   

Agree with most of what you say apart from the bit about managers , right now we need a manager who connects with the fans and understands what our Club is all about .

Think if you had an Ian McCall back in charge or even a  Stephen Craigan in the background , automatically you’ve got a connection there and possibly a feel good factor  , that would give fans belief for the future.

Caldwell is dividing opinion between the support ,  last season we probably spent about £25 k on a training camp in Tenerife which was obviously sanctioned by the Board , but now the same board of directors thinks it’s ok to have a 2 sided stadium to save money.

You really couldn’t make this up 

Every job that everyone does is a means to an end. Mine included.

im convinced that Gary wants a bigger and better job one day and that’s good for thistle as we can get something from him 

Don’t ask me how I know but I know.

isnt it better to support our own manager in the belief, hope and desire that he and his players bring success- something we can all enjoy ?

its easy to be skeptical, or have creeping doubt. It takes courage to believe and support 

(btw he only spent one third of his January budget)

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree with most of what you say apart from the bit about managers , right now we need a manager who connects with the fans and understands what our Club is all about .

Think if you had an Ian McCall back in charge or even a  Stephen Craigan in the background , automatically you’ve got a connection there and possibly a feel good factor  , that would give fans belief for the future.

Caldwell is dividing opinion between the support ,  last season we probably spent about £25 k on a training camp in Tenerife which was obviously sanctioned by the Board , but now the same board of directors thinks it’s ok to have a 2 sided stadium to save money.

You really couldn’t make this up 

A manager with a connection doesn’t automatically bring a feel good factor. It results that do that.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

A manager with a connection doesn’t automatically bring a feel good factor. It results that do that.

Not sure I agree with that totally, initially there is a sense of optimism but as you say it changes depending on the results, not sure I even got the optimism bit with Caldwell at the very beginning.

34 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Not sure I agree with that totally, initially there is a sense of optimism but as you say it changes depending on the results, not sure I even got the optimism bit with Caldwell at the very beginning.

If Caldwell has us top of the league after a couple of months then the feel good factor will return that’s football....except for those who wouldn’t be able to bring themselves to give the guy any credit 

On 5/19/2019 at 9:21 PM, ARu-Strathbungo said:

I think to be really successful in the championship, the 'pressing game' is one that should be used whenever you don't have the ball, and I agree that good players hate being harried by the opposing team, and middling players do not cope well at all when they are not allowed time to think, and consider their next pass …. so what happened in the game against Dunfermline in April I wonder?

That game we allowed one of the worst teams to visit Firhill this season as much time on the ball as they wanted for 25 minutes, and let them score two goals before we actually woke up and started to play.

I wonder if at the meet the manager night, did GC have any words to say about what happened that day? 

What happened is that the players/manager had an off day. It's called being human. It would be great if we could win every game through having better players and better tactics, but the reality is that this nirvana is not the sole preserve of PTFC. 

8 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

And how do you know any of this?

8 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

There is obviously no way to know either way, but that training camp may have saved us from relegation

On 5/19/2019 at 7:35 PM, gerrybritton9 said:

At the meeting the other night Caldwell said that he wanted to put opponents under pressure 

“Good players cannot play under pressure and average players certainly can’t.”

he said that he and Kerso’s mantra is:

”Get to the ball”

looking forward to shouting this from the JH next season!!!

Kerso???

Intelligent players intersect the ball, cut avenues to force mistakes, don’t chase after the ball.

Edited by Norgethistle

16 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

.... the only Reason for the " Gary Show" was to deflect from getting rid of Dools and the Bad PR with lots of people saying they won't buy Season Tickets ...

....In your opinion. In my opinion, I think that is really, really unlikely given the amount of effort that must have gone in to preparing for it, and the believeability of his delivery. Wish there was more leaders with that level of competency and commitment where I work!

56 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Kerso???

Intelligent players intersect the ball, cut avenues to force mistakes, don’t chase after the ball.

Did you watch the video, Norge ?Caldwell meant putting pressure on the man with the ball quickly after losing it.