Colin Weir Stand shut

Woodstock Jag

42 minutes ago, sandy said:

Possibly a sensible money decision, but I’d like to have been a fly on the wall when the King of Spain broke the news... 

‘Thanks for yer sponsorship Colin, but we’re gonna shut yer stand big man’

Good saving of £20 k , maybe Gary and the boys will get another holiday in Tenerife after all .

I sat in the area they've shut off. It's same old Thistle really. Closed the terracing after the JH was built but it only upset a few. Closed the main stand a few years ago but it only upset a few. Moved season ticket holders for hospitality, but it only upset a few. Give it another 2-3 seasons of being outside the top flight and the north stand will be next. Yeah I can understand the financial argument, but the atmosphere at Firhill is going to be grim next season as essentially it'll be a two sided stadium and it's the continual decline of the experience for the fans. Place was the pits at times when it was mostly recently that arrangement under the Bunnet and McCall especially when the team wasn't playing well. Maybe I'll accept it more if they can fix the lopsided wonky seats and clean the bird shit. Yeah, sadly it reeks of more downsizing and the small time mentality that's been rife for years, just like when we piss around our own fans when a big team comes to town and it feels like an away game by putting our fans second and giving the old firm and Hearts this year for instance the run of the ground, small things like that are part of the weak defeatist mentality of the club. Another empty stand that's falling to bits to look at every week next to the weeds and scaffolding on the bing, presents a pure brilliant image of the club so it does. 

Edited by Hankey
  • Like 4

Agree with majority of the above [if the football is good, the experience of being at Firhill will not be 'grim' as you put it}, but I wonder if at some point the club will be able to afford to build a completely new stadium with a much more modest capacity of  7500 / 8000? 

If I had a choice on whether Colin Weir and his wife had options to choose to invest in:- an academy + ladies team + new training ground ….. or ….. a complete 'foundations up' revamp of Firhill, I would have preferred the latter.

12 minutes ago, ARu-Strathbungo said:

If I had a choice on whether Colin Weir and his wife had options to choose to invest in:- an academy + ladies team + new training ground ….. or ….. a complete 'foundations up' revamp of Firhill, I would have preferred the latter.

It's easier to spend other peoples' money of course, but you wonder how many more fans we might attract if we had a modern stadium built for atmosphere and up-to-date amenities. I'm not talking about Tottenham Hotspur-style cheese tasting suites and microbreweries, but you know, maybe wi-fi for a start? A little bit of imagination too, maybe? Just look at the "retro-modern" style of baseball stadiums that are built in America, combining character with facilities that encourage people to make a day out of their visit.

I think it will take a lottery win amongst our support to rebuild the howling wreck that is Firhill.

3 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

It's easier to spend other peoples' money of course, but you wonder how many more fans we might attract if we had a modern stadium built for atmosphere and up-to-date amenities. I'm not talking about Tottenham Hotspur-style cheese tasting suites and microbreweries, but you know, maybe wi-fi for a start? A little bit of imagination too, maybe? Just look at the "retro-modern" style of baseball stadiums that are built in America, combining character with facilities that encourage people to make a day out of their visit.

I think it will take a lottery win amongst our support to rebuild the howling wreck that is Firhill.

If I was a lottery winner, I would spend on the stadium.

I agree with what you say regarding a bit of character about the place and making the visit to the game more of an event.

Additionally, if the design incorporated space for a history / heritage centre and something like an orthopaedics / sports injury clinic within the stadia, it could be a bonus for the club and the Maryhill district generally. 

But first I need to win the lottery!

The new White Hart lane is a great example of how sports teams are redefining the fan experience to actually attract a new crowd. The redesigns of the Camp Nou and the Bernabou, the Atlanta Falcons stadium, the new Los Angeles stadium currently being built; you give people unique experiences then they will be encouraged to come back.

Yes, these are billion dollar franchises in the elite leagues of billion dollar sports. Partick Thistle aren't and never will be, but that doesn't mean soulless stands made of exposed concrete is the only other option.

The seven thousand seat Academy Stadium where Manchester City's reserves and women's teams play is something more realistic to aspire to. Terracing behind the goals, skyboxes, media halls, commercial spaces.

Maybe one day this country will grow up and we'll be able to have bars where you can stand and watch the game whilst having a drink.

• Like 1

Its penny pinching as usual weve had this in the past 

Just to save money on stewards 

Personally I dont think we need stewards walking up and down the Jackie husband stand 

Send them across to colin weir stand annoy the away fans 

Not sure the club statement made it clear where the directors (including visiting directors) would be sitting next season.  Is the stand absolutely closed or just closed to the paying public?  If the directors are still using it, any TV gantry would need to be low enough to avoid the pillars in which case it would probably block their view.  IMO a low TV camera position gives a poorer viewing product but I agree that the empty stand presents a poor image.  Mr Gerrard wouldn't approve!  Having said that, we're only likely to be on TV on a few Friday night fixtures.

2 hours ago, Dr.D said:

Very good point. Totally embarrassing whenever viewed.

Given that the Colin Weir stand was used for away supporters, why is it embarrassing for Thistle. If the away team have a big enough support, the Colin Weir stand will be used. And anyway we will only be on tv a few times.