Youth Academy closing ?

Bobbyhouston

Hearing from good source within the youth circles that club are looking into  closing youth department with community football being introduced which provides  volunteer coaches and very good funding from various government agencies ,  Clyde have went down this route due to not bringing through enough 1st team players , Airdrie already in talks to pull all youth teams from development leagues at every age group and sadly we are looking to do same 

would explain hold up with new academy building and KD being youth coach and hunted out club , sad times if true but would explain no reserve set up for next season 

2 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Hearing from good source within the youth circles that club are looking into  closing youth department with community football being introduced which provides  volunteer coaches and very good funding from various government agencies ,  Clyde have went down this route due to not bringing through enough 1st team players , Airdrie already in talks to pull all youth teams from development leagues at every age group and sadly we are looking to do same 

would explain hold up with new academy building and KD being youth coach and hunted out club , sad times if true but would explain no reserve set up for next season 

So the Thistle Weir Academy is no longer  - just checking that this is whats being suggested ? 

44 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So the Thistle Weir Academy is no longer  - just checking that this is whats being suggested ? 

If that’s the case , what a mess we’ve of things , we had a fantastic chance 6/7 years ago due to the generosity of the Weirs to cement our future .

If what is being said is true we’ve blown it big time 

Hopefully it’s not the right information 

I’m not convinced that this is true. With the money put in by the Weirs,  the youth system will cost Thistle very little, so any savings will be negligable. It will piss off the Weirs, so for those reasons I am dubious.

Also why would we be talking about a plan B for the training complex if the academy is going to be scrapped

That said, when did logic ever come into the Thistle decision making process

So with this can we assume the training ground also is in jeopardy, add to the shutting of CW stand, the rumors of downsizing our office staff dramatically, I think we can assume financially we took a massive hit last year and the parachute payment has gone, all to avoid relegation on last day of the season. 

What a mess as we are in

34 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

So with this can we assume the training ground also is in jeopardy, add to the shutting of CW stand, the rumors of downsizing our office staff dramatically, I think we can assume financially we took a massive hit last year and the parachute payment has gone, all to avoid relegation on last day of the season. 

What a mess as we are in

If you try to act like a top division club on a championship budget because you believe you will instantly return to 'where we belong',  then when the cuts come they will necessarily be deeper

Hope this isn't true but my mental arithmetic suggests it will have been a tricky season financially, so who knows, perhaps any Weir money is needed further up the food chain?

23 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The forum at its finest.....’ hearing from a good source.....’....

lets at least operate on the basis that this is speculation and not fact 

Go on, you usually claim to be in the know, correct the speculation with facts at your fingertips?

Norgethistle is usually on the money. If so, this Club has now downsized its ambitions. Sad.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

What a mess as we are in

Unfortunately Norge, this is the conclusion at the moment. Finances for this season just ended must be in the red. 

This is the way the world ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

Given that the Weirs fund this, I assume if true its their decision rather than Thistle's ?  I read a while back that a number of clubs also down South had decided that the Academy route wasn't cost effective.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Z88 said:

Given that the Weirs fund this, I assume if true its their decision rather than Thistle's ?  I read a while back that a number of clubs also down South had decided that the Academy route wasn't cost effective.  

Yes. That is if course clubs who are paying for it themselves. We are not in that position. 

I agree with javeajag, no need or point in speculating further  it will be what it will be and we will find out soon enough  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

The forum at its finest.....’ hearing from a good source.....’....

lets at least operate on the basis that this is speculation and not fact 

For once we are in agreement - but its a very strange post to make if untrue ....

Edited by Jordanhill Jag

2 hours ago, sandy said:

Go on, you usually claim to be in the know, correct the speculation with facts at your fingertips?

Norgethistle is usually on the money. If so, this Club has now downsized its ambitions. Sad.

Norge said ‘assume ‘ not ‘know’.......I don’t know anything just like you .....but please share your knowledge on the subject .....

the basic point is you jump on every bit of negative fact rumour or speculation to have a pop of the club .....sad 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Norge said ‘assume ‘ not ‘know’.......I don’t know anything just like you .....but please share your knowledge on the subject .....

the basic point is you jump on every bit of negative fact rumour or speculation to have a pop of the club .....sad 

Based on someone stating the academy was being scrapped adding to the lack of progress and information on the training ground, I would say it seems to be pointing that way.

The bigger concern would be if the Weirs for whatever reason have decided not to fund us anymore, how exposed are we as a business? If we have set ourselves up to solely rely on their funding in our 1-3-5 year plan we could be in big problems.

Clear communication could again quash any rumors, if only we had someone at the club that excelled in PR and communication 

• Like 2

That’s it then, defend the club to the hilt @javeajag. I tell you what, fans like @Norgethistle and @Jordanhill Jag know more of the truth.

So today the Club bin Ross Quaile, who has been a brilliant sponsorship & fundraising person. He persuaded me to put in nearly £2k into Thistle last Autumn as I wanted to support the Club after relegation.

No more this coming season, that revenue has gone. This Club we all love is going to the dogs; and I’m afraid the Board & Caldwell have to share the blame for Erskine, Dools, financial projections that were wrong, the closure of the Excellent Main Stand. 

We have flushed our Thistle legacy & uniqueness  down the toilet this season. This is not the Club I have followed for 20 years. 

So it’s over and out from me now. no doubt @Third Lanark and @jagfoxwill be over the moon. 

But I’ll be back when this regime has ended. I’ll be here when the 3 stooges have long gone. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

14 minutes ago, sandy said:

That’s it then, defend the club to the hilt @javeajag. I tell you what, fans like @Norgethistle and @Jordanhill Jag know more of the truth.

So today the Club bin Ross Quaile, who has been a brilliant sponsorship & fundraising person. He persuaded me to put in nearly £2k into Thistle last Autumn as I wanted to support the Club after relegation.

No more this coming season, that revenue has gone. This Club we all love is going to the dogs; and I’m afraid the Board & Caldwell have to share the blame for Erskine, Dools, financial projections that were wrong, the closure of the Excellent Main Stand. 

We have flushed our Thistle legacy & uniqueness  down the toilet this season. This is not the Club I have followed for 20 years. 

So it’s over and out from me now. no doubt @Third Lanark and @jagfoxwill be over the moon. 

But I’ll be back when this regime has ended. I’ll be here when the 3 stooges have long gone. 

What a load of drivel. 

The club gets relegated and maintains the office staff numbers in the hope of promotion: promotion doesn't come so they reorganise to acknowledge the lower income. It's crap for those people who will lose their jobs, but you would be the first person to complain about the club losing money (if norgethistle or Jordanhill Jag didn't beat you to it).

I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about Erskine and Dools - the club is more than a couple of players, no matter how much they're Thistle men. I wouldn't want either in next season's squad: we need players who can make a contribution. 

What financial projections were wrong? I don't know of any. You doubtless just threw that in there to put some more negativity into it. Gilding the Lily it's called.

The 'Excellent Main Stand' isn't closing, it'll be used when necessary. But again, hey ho, let's make it a negative. And 'excellent'? Have you been in it?

I've been following this club a hell of a lot longer than 20 years and it would take more than what's happened in the past year to put me off. You have contributed to a toxic negativity on this forum that  others have also indulged in to a ridiculous extent. Every single statement coming out of the club over the past year has been given the most negative spin possible. Where does this feeling of entitlement come from? You think Thistle should be guaranteed success? You think it should be run as some kind of sentimental project called the Thistle legacy? What the hell is that? Your done. Great. I can only hope that taking a break from all this will improve your mental health. It'll certainly improve mine.

• Like 7
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, sandy said:

So we have not had to pay off Archie at all or spend a fortune paying off the dross he signed 

Given most people say the financial problems have been a result of the last 2 years no idea how he can solely be to blame. Doubt he will have much to do with financial planning for the last 2 years- only you could make the sad news of redundancy into a let’s get at the manager- pretty disgusting 

as for your put £2000 into the club all kinds of fans put their own money in through sponsorship etc but do not feel the need to constantly go on about but your arrogance knows no bounds 

good riddance

• Like 2