Youth Academy closing ?

Bobbyhouston

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Do you think we’ve done well out of the Academy? 

I’m not against Academies  , Hamilton is a good example,you can  see it works for them and listening to Brian Rice you can see that’s been part of his remit to give the youngsters a pathway to the first team .

My 3 nephews are all part of the Hamilton Academy and the focus is on the Academy staff to push the youngsters on to first team level, not sure that’s happened at Firhill yet 

You also mentioned another relative plays for Thistle u18s? Genuinely interested what the contrast is there? 

7 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Do you think we’ve done well out of the Academy? 

I’m not against Academies  , Hamilton is a good example,you can  see it works for them and listening to Brian Rice you can see that’s been part of his remit to give the youngsters a pathway to the first team .

My 3 nephews are all part of the Hamilton Academy and the focus is on the Academy staff to push the youngsters on to first team level, not sure that’s happened at Firhill yet 

I am lost at the point you are trying to make ?

if Hamilton can have an academy why can we ? 

• Haha 1

Isn't a major part of our academy as a community thing, down to the fact that this is what Colin Weir wants to fund? That being the case it's not really relevant to compare what the academy has cost compared to how it has benefitted our first team. If it was being run solely for the benefit of Partick Thistle then it could cost a lot less and be more effectively focussed in that direction, but it isn't. Therefore comparing it to academies run by other clubs, and self-funded by the clubs, would not be a fair comparison.

I may be wrong, but this was my understanding.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I am lost at the point you are trying to make ?

if Hamilton can have an academy why can we ? 

Surely part of the focus is to try and develop young players and give them a pathway to the first team, don’t think we’ve done a great deal of that over the last 7 years .

10 minutes ago, allyo said:

Isn't a major part of our academy as a community thing, down to the fact that this is what Colin Weir wants to fund? That being the case it's not really relevant to compare what the academy has cost compared to how it has benefitted our first team. If it was being run solely for the benefit of Partick Thistle then it could cost a lot less and be more effectively focussed in that direction, but it isn't. Therefore comparing it to academies run by other clubs, and self-funded by the clubs, would not be a fair comparison.

I may be wrong, but this was my understanding.

You’re right that he did want it to be community based as well , would PTFC have done that or could have afforded to do that , still in my opinion was a great chance to develop our own

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

You’re right that he did want it to be community based as well , would PTFC have done that or could have afforded to do that , still in my opinion was a great chance to develop our own

I don't disagree. But unless we know how much of the funding is directed into elite development, we don't really know whether it is providing value or not. My only point is that the 3 to 4m may be misleading. It could be that Lindsay, Penrice and Fitzpatrick are a pretty good return on what has been invested in this element of the programme.

16 minutes ago, jagfox said:

You also mentioned another relative plays for Thistle u18s? Genuinely interested what the contrast is there? 

He did , but only 2 or 3 of the 18s are going to be kept on this year ( budget related )

We seem to making a call on young players at 17 yrs before they are fully developed, don’t think it it’s just a PTFC issue but it’s one of the reasons why so many kids are lost to the game .

They do it slightly different at Hamilton, inviting some of the boys in on school holidays to train with the First Team and to give them a taste of what is required to be a professional football player.

There seems to be more organisation and more focus on what the aims of the Academy are .

Hamilton’s academy certainly seems intrinsic with the running of the club. 

As you suggest there is a big drop off between u18s and players reaching first team level in the Scottish game. Clubs will continue to struggle to develop their own players unless some kind of effective competition is brought in. That seems unlikely with clubs making cutbacks. Kids at that age need games but that rarely happens with the current set-ups in place.

@jlsarmyare players that age on full-time or part-time contracts? 

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

As you suggest there is a big drop off between u18s and players reaching first team level in the Scottish game. Clubs will continue to struggle to develop their own players unless some kind of effective competition is brought in. That seems unlikely with clubs making cutbacks. Kids at that age need games but that rarely happens with the current set-ups in place.

Thistle don’t pay anything at all until they go professional, at Celtic they got expenses contracts , not sure about the rest of the teams 

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

This is the problem ay 16/17 most aren't ready for any kind of senior football but playing in a development league at 18/19 is not good either.

Best way would be to have an u-18 league (regional based/financial based) to allow these kids game time and to develop with the best ones fed into reserve football and then the 1st team. I understand the financial and for all but 5/6 clubs this would be impossible to fund. 

Why not use the performance schools the SFA have set up and have regional development squads to allow them to play against each other and then move the better ones on to clubs at 18. That way the clubs don't have the cost of coaching a team , the best guys play with the best and they can implement some sort of national method play similar to Belgium did 15 years ago.

• Like 3

On 5/29/2019 at 12:52 PM, Mad Mull Jag said:

This is the problem ay 16/17 most aren't ready for any kind of senior football but playing in a development league at 18/19 is not good either.

Best way would be to have an u-18 league (regional based/financial based) to allow these kids game time and to develop with the best ones fed into reserve football and then the 1st team. I understand the financial and for all but 5/6 clubs this would be impossible to fund. 

Why not use the performance schools the SFA have set up and have regional development squads to allow them to play against each other and then move the better ones on to clubs at 18. That way the clubs don't have the cost of coaching a team , the best guys play with the best and they can implement some sort of national method play similar to Belgium did 15 years ago.

SFA Performance schools don’t have the best players selected that’s fact , Old firm and Hearts run there own schools 

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

I will accept the doubters apologies 

You knew on May 20th that a Chinese/American was preparing a bid for the Club, which would instigate a situation where major shareholders in order to safeguard their investment would usurp the then board. A situation would then result in the major benefactor pulling his investment and altruistic support resulting in the likelihood of the academy either closing or being drastically scaled down.

Please accept my apologies.:thumbsup2:

• Like 1