State of Play

Firhillista

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Gary Harkins 18 month contract?

He's not been brilliant I'd agree, but played his part in a few games. Id expect more from him next season but I suspect he is more a squad player. Tbf no manager gets 100 pc with his signings. Not even klopp or guardiola. Not with our budget.

I thought harkins did what was asked of him. Is a cool head most of the time when on the ball, odd sending off aside. Was better when he played than many others. 

Hopefully we get Tenerife booked up early this season. Certainly seemed to recharge our batteries and brought (most of) the squad closer together. Did wonders for Southampton too. 

Looks like we’ll be running a smaller squad this season so I’d rather focus on performance than sign empty shirts like Ally Roy

24 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Hopefully we get Tenerife booked up early this season. Certainly seemed to recharge our batteries and brought (most of) the squad closer together. Did wonders for Southampton too. 

Looks like we’ll be running a smaller squad this season so I’d rather focus on performance than sign empty shirts like Ally Roy

Should be totally rested after the Summer holidays, hopefully we get off to a flier in the new season .

49 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Should be totally rested after the Summer holidays, hopefully we get off to a flier in the new season .

I mean for January. Hopefully the summer weather is conducive to a productive preseason.

6 hours ago, partickthedog said:

and zooming past Laura Muir

13 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Posted three hours ago and still no reply from JJ.

It's a nice day, maybe he's out jogging on the Switchback. :)

For the Record the Hills on the Switchback are Torture - I do the Old Glasgow Uni 5 Mile Road Race Loop which has Cleveden Hill Half Way Round it 

Its a Looooong Time since I ran anywhere near the pace of Ms Muir the Machine 

For those who are Runners we have a Partick Thistle Running Club page on Facebook 

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jagfox said:

Zero Chance thats happening - we just laid off half the Office Staff - Day Trip to Largs Maybe 

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Zero Chance thats happening - we just laid off half the Office Staff - Day Trip to Largs Maybe 

The redundancies are part of the down-sizing/ re-structuring at the club. The manager may allocate funds from his budget. You cannot be 100% sure on that point. 

31 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Must admit out of all the questions .. explanations about training and tactics etc at the season ahead thing it kinda surprised me that we are looking to have a squad of 16 players

16 players in at the start of pre-season training. Didn’t mention squad size going into competitive games. No reserve team so we will run with a smaller squad overall I would think, but I reckon it would be nearer to twenty.

Wolves are evidently going with a small first team squad and they've got Europa games as well. Nuno Santo is no mug I'm told. The downside of not having a larger squad is obvious but I think in terms of team interaction there's some benefit. The main benefit should be, in theory at least, a case of quality over quantity. Then again Caldwell may hold back a good old chunk of his budget for the January window. I suppose there could be merit in that as well. 

In the modern game, you have eleven players starting the game and seven on the bench, so a first team squad of eighteen is the minimum you need, I think, although a couple of youth players could provide some cover, I suppose. I think this also explains the lack of enthusiasm for a reserve league from a lot of clubs - with eighteen of your first team squad involved on a match day, by the time you take injuries and suspensions into account, who's going to be available for the reserves?

12 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

In the modern game, you have eleven players starting the game and seven on the bench, so a first team squad of eighteen is the minimum you need, I think, although a couple of youth players could provide some cover, I suppose. I think this also explains the lack of enthusiasm for a reserve league from a lot of clubs - with eighteen of your first team squad involved on a match day, by the time you take injuries and suspensions into account, who's going to be available for the reserves?

Agree to properly run a reserve team, never mind be competitive, you would need about 35 players on the books from 16 years old upwards.  18 1st team squad plus the same for the reserves to cover injuries/suspension

This isn't practical for all bar about 4/5 clubs in Scotland. I think we will end up somewhere around 19/20 1st teamers with the rest being younger guys.  

1 minute ago, Firhillista said:

No Coulibaly & Jack Storer this coming season as well. I felt privileged to have witnessed all three of Storer's red cards.

Seriously tho' the last game of the season we had only one player on the bench and a real youngster at that. Felt sorry for the lads as a well drilled Dundee United set up knocked 8 past them. I thought rather than scrap a reserve team we could've dropped down to the lower reserve league where more of our age group we fielded could compete better. I suppose there's a cost saving in what we're doing to be taken into consideration. I'm just not sure that we've got joiny up pathway from the late teens to first team squad in place. More use of the loan out to the Juniors perhaps?

15 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

No Coulibaly & Jack Storer this coming season as well. I felt privileged to have witnessed all three of Storer's red cards.

Seriously tho' the last game of the season we had only one player on the bench and a real youngster at that. Felt sorry for the lads as a well drilled Dundee United set up knocked 8 past them. I thought rather than scrap a reserve team we could've dropped down to the lower reserve league where more of our age group we fielded could compete better. I suppose there's a cost saving in what we're doing to be taken into consideration. I'm just not sure that we've got joiny up pathway from the late teens to first team squad in place. More use of the loan out to the Juniors perhaps?

Agree with your post especially the bit about the pathway to the first team.

Jack Storer won’t be forgotten either red cards and one of the best goals I’ve ever seen at Firhill over the years .

I think loaning young players out is the way to go in the future to ensure their transition to senior football. Playing genuinely competitive games, albeit at a lower level, is better, I think, than reserve matches. Although, saying that, I'm old enough to feel that fielding loan players is a bit of a cheat! Still, modern game and all that. I remember being surprised by the quality of an Alloa player in the first game we played them away, to discover he was really a Hearts player! Good for Alloa and Hearts, obviously.

11 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I think loaning young players out is the way to go in the future to ensure their transition to senior football. Playing genuinely competitive games, albeit at a lower level, is better, I think, than reserve matches. 

Agree but I think tho' our problem could be getting players to the level just below the loaning out stage. Kevin Nisbet, altho' he didn't do well on loan, was maybe more of an exception as he was fully grown and strongish. Liam Lindsay would be a better example. Others, some even older than those two were,  just aren't physically ready to go out on loan. I feel that could be the level at which these players may struggle to get competitive action. 

On 5/22/2019 at 1:35 PM, KemoAvdiu said:

Tough choices are fine if they’re handled in a classy way. This wasn’t. 

Tough choices aren’t always as tough as they seem though. Asking a rich benefactor to write a cheque for a training camp in Tenerife but not asking for a cheque to sustain successful members of staff in employment? Strikes me as misplaced values, there. But there we are. 

“I have reservations about this decision but it’s one the Club/Manager is entitled to make. However I do think regardless of that the way you treat people matters and the way they communicated these changes was amateur hour and suggests they’re not good at their jobs and out of touch”

”You don’t understand how *business* works. It’s all about the results you’ve got to trust the guys in charge.”

”Uh, my objection isn’t to what they did it’s to the way they did it.”

”Redundancies are part and parcel of football/business. We’ve got to get rid of our cuddly toy image”

”Yes but you don’t do it in a shitty way. The mark of good people is how humanely they take tough decisions.”

”But we’re a business, why do you have a vendetta against Caldwell/Lowe”

Ad infinitum.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 6:59 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

I would have to point out that we had to sell Harkins to pay the taxman and were lucky that Dundee were being run by someone willing to pay over the odds. I also recall a meeting at which our then chairman was lambasted for telling us how much it costs to replace a floodlight bulb and the accounts (easily found on Companies House) do not show profits at that time.

That is not to say we, as a club, have not made mistakes recently but let us not rewrite history either.

Martin all of that was several years before we first started turning an operating profit. The Club was much better run from about 2011 onwards. Harkins and Twaddle were sold in 2009 to pay the taxman.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2019 at 8:52 PM, Fawlty Towers said:

Jim, I know that and I agree with it but that was not what was stated. I realise that you knew what Stuart meant (so did I) but the statement made was not precise and I just think it is important we are careful with words.

Everyone knew fine well what it meant. He wasn’t suggesting Save the Jags didn’t have to be a thing just because it was “before” the Weirs. There’s accuracy and there is irrelevant pedantry.

3 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Although 7 players are allowed on the bench, only 3 are allowed to be used. So the minimum is 14 as long as they are all ready to play 1st team football.

At the start of last season we couldn’t  fill the bench and even those that were subs weren’t ready to play in the 1st team