State of Play

Firhillista

1 minute ago, Thistleberight said:

Is it 2020/21 already?:lol:

Who's the manager now?

You're right Sandy, so many other ways to cut costs than redundancies. And it's never the people at the top who go is it, always the ones lower down. How much money would we save if we didn't have a chairperson? Could we not merge Gerry and jlow's roles with Gerry doing both jobs? Just a thought 

Haha, a brief interloping interlude from me, TBR! St Mirren did the Jags proud by keeping the Tangerines down.

Meanwhile we shoot ourselves in the foot by getting the rid of good people like RQ who had built up a network for Club income.  What has our Club become? A team that has to play the Bunnet next season...

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, sandy said:

Haha, a brief interloping interlude from me, TBR! St Mirren did the Jags proud by keeping the Tangerines down.

Meanwhile we shoot ourselves in the foot by getting the rid of good people like RQ who had built up a network for Club income.  What has our Club become? A team that has to play the Bunnet next season...

Got to agree with Sandy re Ross Quaile 

Looked like we finally had a guy who connected with supporters and brought much needed income into the Club through Hospitality and Sponsorship and this would have continued building year on year.

Hospitality was good last year considering it was a hard sell dropping down a division.

Sponsorship in terms of the presentation was the best it’s ever been , I remember the times you picked up the jerseys and boots from the sponsored player in a plastic bag on the last day of the season .

Huge difference, big loss to the Club IMO

Edited by jlsarmy

17 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Is it 2020/21 already?:lol:

Who's the manager now?

You're right Sandy, so many other ways to cut costs than redundancies. And it's never the people at the top who go is it, always the ones lower down. How much money would we save if we didn't have a chairperson? Could we not merge Gerry and jlow's roles with Gerry doing both jobs? Just a thought 

Why not get GC to do all three jobs? Imagine the savings and the amount of new areas some on the forum could give him a right good kicking.

12 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Guy who sounds off about withholding financial support for Thistle has a pop at the club for making cutbacks...

Jog on.

They made cutbacks before they have even asked me for next seasons sponsorship. Their choice before mine. Get yer facts right.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Neilson made a big difference to Dundee United once he took over.

Inherited a lot of dross and but for inability to take penalties might have achieved something significant.

They'll skate this division next season.

Think you’re right , think next year will be the 4th season since Dundee Utd were relegated from the Premier League, think we need to rebuild year on year to give ourselves a chance 

47 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to agree with Sandy re Ross Quaile 

Looked like we finally had a guy who connected with supporters and brought much needed income into the Club through Hospitality and Sponsorship and this would have continued building year on year.

Hospitality was good last year considering it was a hard sell dropping down a division.

Sponsorship in terms of the presentation was the best it’s ever been , I remember the times you picked up the jerseys and boots from the sponsored player in a plastic bag on the last day of the season .

Huge difference, big loss to the Club IMO

Completely agree. Has he definitely left or is their a position that can be made under the restructuring?  Huge blow if he has left 

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’re right , think next year will be the 4th season since Dundee Utd were relegated from the Premier League, think we need to rebuild year on year to give ourselves a chance 

There’s rumours they spent a million pound on players in January and it still wasn’t good enough for them. They too will have to rebuild 

United fans say they wasted £150k on pawlett and another £150k wasted on sow - for that division that’s huge amounts of money wasted 

Edited by Third Lanark

6 minutes ago, sandy said:

Jog on.

They made cutbacks before they have even asked me for next seasons sponsorship. Their choice before mine. Get yer facts right.

Your lip was pettit long before staff were informed of job cuts.

When does the self-imposed exile start? Reckon I'll chuck a few extra bob into the kitty this season to cover you and the other sullen children who've walked off with their baws. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I wonder what would've been better for us. St Mirren with a parachute payment or as it turns out, United. We now miss out on a couple of home derby games (well, sort of) where as the Dundee clubs will have their coffers boosted that way. 

No idea what your point is from that post.

The point of competing is to win promotion, not to make money.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Neilson made a big difference to Dundee United once he took over.

Inherited a lot of dross and but for inability to take penalties might have achieved something significant.

They'll skate this division next season.

Did he not sign a lot of dross during January. Like Sow, Pawlett and Connolly, Nesbitt ect.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Realistically you may be right. Will the fans be that patient? Some will. Some wont. Right now I'm hoping for automatic promotion but we may end up in the play offs. I suspect some won't think that's good enough. We shall see what unfolds. That United team not to be feared but yeah they may spend more money. Most of the pressure on them. They may buckle. Got the makings of a great league imo.

7 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

No idea what your point is from that post.

The point of competing is to win promotion, not to make money.

I think, and I am sure the good lady will correct me if required, the point was what would be better for us in terms of the resources available to either St Mirren or Dundee Utd as rivals.

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

I'll bow to your superior knowledge if that was the case.

But he certainly inherited a load of junk from Csaba Laszlo.

Both Caldwell and Neilston improved their respective teams in January. The trick is to take it to the next level. 

1 minute ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I think, and I am sure the good lady will correct me if required, the point was what would be better for us in terms of the resources available to either St Mirren or Dundee Utd as rivals.

Either way, we should see ourselves as capable of being better than both. Financially and on the park.

I suspect that may be a forlorn hope though.

3 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Both Caldwell and Neilston improved their respective teams in January. The trick is to take it to the next level. 

Yes - I fully agree.

Neither have achieved that this season, although at least Neilson took his team to the ultimate hurdle. 

We, despite JayLo's arrogance, failed to get out of the bottom six all season.

50 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Your lip was pettit long before staff were informed of job cuts.

When does the self-imposed exile start? Reckon I'll chuck a few extra bob into the kitty this season to cover you and the other sullen children who've walked off with their baws. 

Go on then, put some of your hair gel money into the Club. Dare you!