Next Season's Championship.

Playoffs or bust for Gary Caldwell, imo. Not an impossible task but recruitment is key. Especially considering we don't have any strikers signed...

Yinited would be favourites based on planned investment. Then agsin they're not infallible by any means.

Dundee are a basket case. Unknown quantity in that they haven't appointed a manager yet and have a thin remnant of players.

Dunfermline and Morton are both restructuring like ourselves.

ICT had a great season but the vultures are circling with their Northern neighbours having already pounced on one of their regular players.

QoS and Ayr won't be challenging imo but that depends on recruitment 

Arbroath and Alloa will do well to stay out of the bottom two positions.

An other opportunity not to be missed. Interesting times.

I think if Goodwin leaves Alloa (Dundee maybe?) we should be comfortable above them and Arbroath, and therefore I am not expecting another horrible season of relegation anxiety. I am also cautiously optimistic, based on performance since Christmas, that Caldwell has enough about him to avoid this happening. 

I expect the Dundee clubs to be strong, but not beyond competing with. I'd probably put them as the top two, but in no way guaranteed.

We will have to improve our consistency to bring ourselves above the rest of the pack, and I think it will take a very impressive season to finish in the top two, which are the only places which realistically enable promotion. Tough but not impossible.

52 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Playoffs or bust for Gary Caldwell, imo. Not an impossible task but recruitment is key. Especially considering we don't have any strikers signed...

Yinited would be favourites based on planned investment. Then agsin they're not infallible by any means.

Dundee are a basket case. Unknown quantity in that they haven't appointed a manager yet and have a thin remnant of players.

Dunfermline and Morton are both restructuring like ourselves.

ICT had a great season but the vultures are circling with their Northern neighbours having already pounced on one of their regular players.

QoS and Ayr won't be challenging imo but that depends on recruitment 

Arbroath and Alloa will do well to stay out of the bottom two positions.

An other opportunity not to be missed. Interesting times.

Key thing for me is the strikers we sign , looking for a proven goal scorer at this level . !!!

• Like 1

ICT, Morton and Dunfermline have slashed their budget and it’s Crawford’s first window as a manager, Alloa and Arbroath will probably be in the bottom 3 and Ayr are losing players, Dundee have a massive rebuilding job and DU I think will win the league but Neilson’s dodgy January signings could haunt them again in the window. I think this will be a very tight league from the bottom to the top and I’m quite looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, jagfox said:

...or two and the likes of Mansell for squad depth.

Still totally bizarre for me that Doolan was allowed to leave , we’re now in a situation where we have no strikers at the Club and pre season starts in a fortnight, even if Caldwell didn’t think Dools was a first choice surely there would have been some merit of him being a squad player.

At the level we’re at its going to be tough to get a proven goal scorer with the money on offer in this division.

Just gut feeling but I'm none too sure that both Dundee clubs will be battling it out at the top. Just no idea which one will. Conversely I don't necessarily believe that both Arbroath and Alloa will be rooted to the bottom

Think Stevie Crawford will be first out the door. We're more united behind Caldwell than the Pars fans are with SC. Mid table methinks along with Morton. Would normally dismiss Hopkin as a one trick wonder, who by many accounts was not exactly numero uno at Livingston. A narrowish pitch like Cappielow might be up his street and he has got course and distance. 

Got a feeling neither Ayr nor QotS will be anywhere near a top table play off place. Hopeful that we'll be upper mid table competing with ICT for a secure play off slot.   

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

So. Now we know the line up we have 6 visits to Angus included. I think this a tougher league than last season to get out of. Both Dundee teams will be expected to be up there.

Caley will be there or thereabouts. Morton under Hopkin could be a dark horse.

Again, I believe we will do well to make play offs.

With the prospect of multiple elections and referenda on the horizon, it may be worthwhile registering for a postal vote in Angus.

Think Dundee will be far closer to replicating our season just gone rather than that of Ross County, huge turnover of players and a new manager coming in. Since  2000 only ICT (2009), Hearts (2015), and County (2019) have come straight back up.  Since the promotion playoffs have come in, St Mirren, ICT, and ourselves all missed those playoffs as well in the first season down too.

United will start as favourites I'd think, as much as yesterday was a good laugh it would probably have been better for us if St Mirren had come down for the same reasons as Dundee above (and to limit the amount of trips to Dundee). ICT and Dunfermline cutting back, Morton an unknown quantity, Ayr I think could be candidates to go down, they're losing all their best players and recouping next to nothing. the two part time teams won't be a gimme but neither of them are finishing top 4.

I think next season will be difficult for either Dundee club to run away with the championship. Having 4 derby games means you have 4 games where the result could go against form.

Its probably easier in the championship to look at who's likely to finish top 4. Right now I would say Dundee United, ICT and Dundee would be most likely to fill 3 of those spaces. Dundee are the most likely not to make it as they could have similar problems to us.

Ayr, Morton and Dunfermline all look like they have major rebuild jobs next season so I think they would be middle to lower half. Alloa and Abroath will be bottom half.

Right now QOS look like dark horses for the playoffs as they now have an experienced manager, started to make some reasonable signings and have the bonus of Dobbie.

With the teams that are in the league next season  we really shouldn't have any excuses for not being in the playoffs.

Last season, if we needed any reminder, showed just how tight Scottish football is outside the top 2 (or 3/4 after that).  With the start that Ayr got you wouldn't have put much cash on us finishing just 11 points behind them or for Alloa to pull themselves off the floor. 

Opinions in few of the posts above must be based on club history and a short memory as there is a long way to go before we'll actually see the true line-up/potential of any these teams (including our own).

County showed that you don't need an exceptional team but you do need a consistent one.

1 hour ago, AlgarveJag said:

Last season, if we needed any reminder, showed just how tight Scottish football is outside the top 2 (or 3/4 after that).  With the start that Ayr got you wouldn't have put much cash on us finishing just 11 points behind them or for Alloa to pull themselves off the floor. 

Opinions in few of the posts above must be based on club history and a short memory as there is a long way to go before we'll actually see the true line-up/potential of any these teams (including our own).

County showed that you don't need an exceptional team but you do need a consistent one.

Entirely true. My opinion on the Dundee clubs being top two was based entirely on them being big clubs. Sometimes I pretend to know stuff, but I really don't. :)

14 minutes ago, allyo said:

Entirely true. My opinion on the Dundee clubs being top two was based entirely on them being big clubs. Sometimes I pretend to know stuff, but I really don't. :)

it's all right Allyo, many of us have made a career out of that (a lot of footie managers too!!!).

• Like 1