Chairman’s Statement

javeajag

A good response to the justifiable criticisms levelled against the Club in the past season, and full marks for accepting responsibility for the Club's failings.

Taken with the recent Gary Caldwell event, this hopefully marks a change in the Club's behaviour towards fans, and a recognition that not keeping them well informed leads to wild speculation, and a continuing need for staements such as this.

Let's hope that such a statement is never needed again.

Edited by eljaggo

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

She said the only support Colin weir gives the club is the academy so that’s clear unless she should also state the things he doesn’t financially support like the pies or grass seed ?! Unless someone can prove otherwise that’s that 

no comment on the ring fenced finance for the trading ground ? ! 

Actually she didnt say "the only support Coilin Weir gives to the Club is the Academy"   

What she said was "Colin Weir has never had any ongoing financial commitment to the Club"  ie there is no formal arrangement of funding - that doesnt in any way say that he only funds the Youth Academy 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Fair questions. I felt we got some answers on some points that we hadn’t before.

Worth asking the Chairman directly, Jim?

Ok regards Funding what was said was  "Colin Weir has never had any ongoing financial commitment to the Club"  ie there is no formal arrangement of funding - that doesnt in any way say that he only funds the Youth Academy - so in reality we are no Clearer as to what he funds or doesnt fund ? 

Come on WJ read the detial - you slept there !!!!

16 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think we over-analyse a lot these days.

Imagine having to write a statement like that, knowing that it is going to be dissected, discussed and scrutinised to the nth degree, knowing you won't be involved or represented in the ensuing discussion. It's a tough gig!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

JJ

Can I ask what difference it make who funded the trip ? There is a clear statement on the finances that we are only spending what we can afford and that this is reviewed on a 2 year rolling plan. As a fan, I think that is all I need to know. 

Its important because its being alluded to that we dont have a major funder in Colin Weir  - but its not been stated as such whats been stated is that he has no long term financial commitment to the Club - now thats different ie it leaves the door open to ad hoc funding as required - now we need to know are we capable of self funding - thats very very important in the Championship 

23 minutes ago, fenski said:

Imagine having to write a statement like that, knowing that it is going to be dissected, discussed and scrutinised to the nth degree, knowing you won't be involved or represented in the ensuing discussion. It's a tough gig!

Club can post or communicate anyway it pleases - nothing is stopping them ? 

35 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

A very lengthy and detailed statement. Dare I say it with some humility. I take it at face value. I don't expect or need to know the financial minutia. I suspect the vast majority of fans have similar views.

Thats fine - but Financial Minutiae is what keeps the lights on 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok regards Funding what was said was  "Colin Weir has never had any ongoing financial commitment to the Club"  ie there is no formal arrangement of funding - that doesnt in any way say that he only funds the Youth Academy - so in reality we are no Clearer as to what he funds or doesnt fund ? 

Come on WJ read the detial - you slept there !!!!

I agree that the statement doesn't give a full answer to the state of our finances. As I said it may be worth you taking up the outstanding issues directly with the club.

On a number of other issues the statement provides clarity and self awareness where they've ****** up. I think that is, however belatedly, welcome.

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Actually she didnt say "the only support Coilin Weir gives to the Club is the Academy"   

What she said was "Colin Weir has never had any ongoing financial commitment to the Club"  ie there is no formal arrangement of funding - that doesnt in any way say that he only funds the Youth Academy 

I think you are misreading the use of “ongoing”. Didn’t Colin Weir pay off our bank loan ? If she had said that he doesn’t support the Club financially, some people would have jumped on that.

4 hours ago, Firhillista said:

Abuse is 'unaccebtable', but 'professionals' just have to 'form a hard skin' or 'step aside'? Mixed messages much?

To say that the communication from the club this season has been 'utterly appalling' is a gross exageration, but entirely in line with the toxic criticism of some posters on here.

It's hardly "toxic" firhillista. Just cos @Garscube Road End offers a view opposite to the one you hold and spout about his view is "toxic"? 

This is an appalling totalitarian stand point by you once again. I get that you have different views to those of us who remain sceptical about the current board and management but just because we question and countenance a degree of caution doesn't mean we are being toxic.

I consider this a good statement of intent from the chair, yes it would have been welcome a lot earlier but that's not grounds for criticism imo. I think we all need to try harder and as I've posted before, for what it's worth, I'm starting the season with a clean slate for all, including myself. I promise to try and remain upbeat and optimistic for a long as possible. And definitely not toxic.

48 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I think you are misreading the use of “ongoing”. Didn’t Colin Weir pay off our bank loan ? If she had said that he doesn’t support the Club financially, some people would have jumped on that.

Thats a matter of opinion as to “ what it means” why leave it vague ? 

48 minutes ago, sandbank boy said:

Very few of us on here NEED to know. 

I'd argue none of us needs to know beyond that the club is living within its means and will be around for years to come.

12 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

It's hardly "toxic" firhillista. Just cos @Garscube Road End offers a view opposite to the one you hold and spout about his view is "toxic"? 

This is an appalling totalitarian stand point by you once again. I get that you have different views to those of us who remain sceptical about the current board and management but just because we question and countenance a degree of caution doesn't mean we are being toxic.

I consider this a good statement of intent from the chair, yes it would have been welcome a lot earlier but that's not grounds for criticism imo. I think we all need to try harder and as I've posted before, for what it's worth, I'm starting the season with a clean slate for all, including myself. I promise to try and remain upbeat and optimistic for a long as possible. And definitely not toxic.

To be fair, to say there is toxic criticism by some posters on here (which there is) is not the same as accusing any individual of it.

1 minute ago, allyo said:

To be fair, to say there is toxic criticism by some posters on here (which there is) is not the same as accusing any individual of it.

I guess it depends on the individual's interpretation of toxic. For me it's a litany if abusive messaging with no basis on fact and designed to demean a targeted individual for reasons other than football and probable very personal to that targeted individual.........oh right, I see now:wacko2:

15 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I'd argue none of us needs to know beyond that the club is living within its means and will be around for years to come.

Which is exactly my point - the statement went to great lengths discussing this but didnt actually state " The Club recieves no funding direct or indirect from Colin Weir or anyone associated with him " we still do not know how we are being funded     

16 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I guess it depends on the individual's interpretation of toxic. For me it's a litany if abusive messaging with no basis on fact and designed to demean a targeted individual for reasons other than football and probable very personal to that targeted individual.........oh right, I see now:wacko2:

Haha. Out of likes, but yeah, I think there has been some of that. There's also been fair criticism. 

For what it's worth I'm taking the statement at face value, and I think it seems pretty reasonable. I don't have any reason not to. But I'm fully supportive of those who wish to ask difficult questions if that is what they feel is necessary.

And it's a very comfortable fence, thank you.