Chairman’s Statement

javeajag

15 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I would much rather have an ambitious manager that thinks of us as a stepping stone than one that thinks managing Thistle is the pinnacle of his (or her) career. I hope that Gary goes onto win the Champions League as it will mean he has been successful with us.

Hmmm. If he goes on to win the Champions League he was still a crap Chesterfield manager. Alex Ferguson won the Champins League and was nothing great with St Mirren. But generally I agree with your sentiment, I'm just being pedantic

24 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I would much rather have an ambitious manager that thinks of us as a stepping stone than one that thinks managing Thistle is the pinnacle of his (or her) career. I hope that Gary goes onto win the Champions League as it will mean he has been successful with us.

Me too, obviously he won't with us (talkin about @West of Scotland) but yes, get the point, if he does in the future all power to him. 

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Was talking more about the ‘ meet the manager ‘ night ,  I personally think for a Club of our size and with our Academy it’s important that we develop our own players and Caldwell is part of that process to get them to first team level .

We can get linked with players like Kris Boyd and Kenny Miller for short term but what happens in the future, short term solutions aren’t going to be the answer.

Caldwell showed very little interest in the u18s and the reserve squad last year , possibly only attended twice last year , maybe you’re right he was preoccupied about the first team staying in the league but for the future and with an Academy everything should be joined up to provide us with some sort of template going forward and Gary Caldwell I believe  should take part in that process .

I don’t know whether he was interested or not. Just because he didn’t go to any games or sessions doesn’t mean he doesn’t know who’s coming on. Didn’t 3 players from the academy get given contracts last week ?

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t know whether he was interested or not. Just because he didn’t go to any games or sessions doesn’t mean he doesn’t know who’s coming on. Didn’t 3 players from the academy get given contracts last week ?

There was 3 last year as well, doesn’ t mean a lot unfortunately.

16 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The meet the manager night was just an exercise to deflect the flak from the Kris Doolan scenario and fair play to him he fronted up .

Hopefully S.N . , you wouldn’t think it was just for football reasons that Erskine and Doolan were let go , think it would be incredibly naive to think that  was the case . Think we’re looking for 3 forwards for next year, I’d be surprised if we get anyone in the class of Doolan on the wages on offer , so that in itself makes it a strange decision.

If you analyse what Caldwell said at the Meet the Manager night , it really wasn’t very much , we run about more , we played better after January with the new signings , used buzzwords like ‘ character “ a lot 

Never spoke about how we bridge the gap in how we develop the young players and give them a pathway to the first team apart from some Glasgow Cup games ,bottom line Caldwell isn’t really interested in developing young players as his lack of interest in the u18s and the reserve team showed last year .

Watch it back again S.N . there wasn’t a lot of substance in what he said for the future of our Club .

I think the answer to the point about Dools (who I never wanted to see leave) is that the proof of the pudding will be in next season's eating. I didn't say I believed every word, merely temporarily suspending my disbelief (in the absence of any hard evidence to the contrary), that when he said 'nobody's bigger than the club', he meant 'nobody's bigger than me'! We'll see soon enough if Caldo can provide us with strikers in the same class as Doolan, which I think is going to be his most difficult signing task. Roy and Mansell certainly weren't even close, McDonald was.

If there was one missing element in his talk it was, how do we prevent the sort of complacency (or fear)  that bedevilled us against County and Ayr (2nd last game) - two games where we were cruising then shat the bed. He identified it, analysed it, but didn't say how he would/did address it. Those two results probably did more reputational damage to him as a manager than anything else, even the white envelopes!

'How we bridge the gap in how we develop the young players' is possibly a longer term issue - I wouldn't necessarily think that is one solely for the manager, there is clearly a bit of chaos around the whole Academy/Training Ground/Reserves - the longer term. As you hint, he might not be around to reap any benefits of that (for whatever reason - and let's be brutal: if he is mince next season he'll be out by Christmas, and if he's brilliant he'll be 'snapped up' pretty quickly) and even the great Lambitcus said something like 'A good youth policy disnae keep me in a joab'.  For this reason, that's to me as much an issue for the board as the manager. So agree there, perhaps not a lot about the future of our club - beyond next season.

I would expect/hope for a further Meet the Manager event around the end of the close season, which would include addressing some of the  longer term issues, but time will tell.

If it was to be announced that we'd signed a new striker and it was Kris Doolan, my first reaction would be disappointment. Much as I've loved watching him play for us over the past 10 years, the last couple of seasons have been a bit painful to watch. He's just not been the player he was. All of those folk who would take him back in an instant and who think Caldwell will struggle to replace him (and who will doubtless condemn any new striker who signs as not being fit to lace his boots) are viewing things through rose tinted glasses. It's time to move on.  For Kris too. Maybe a new club will allow him to get his mojo back. Like every Thistle fan, I wish him all the best and I'll be following his next steps with huge interest, but Thistle need someone who delivers more than Kris has managed in the last two seasons. We got a glimpse of what might be possible with Scott MacDonald - let's hope Caldwell can come up with someone as good for this season.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

You can’t get away with that. You are making the allegation. At least have the gumption to put some meat on the bones . Otherwise it does come across as just flinging muck and seeing what sticks.

And let me get this clear. You are only interested in seeing what the ad hoc donations are ? And not interested in getting a breakdown of all the income ?  

I havent made any allegation - I've pointed out that the Chairman's statement leaves it nice and vague for the option of ad hoc funding-  which to the best of my knowledge has occurred over a period of time for things like refurbishments of certain parts of the Stadium  - Players Trips of various Guises - etc  

The Ad Hoc Funding  is important because its not reflected in our Revenue Generated by the Club - its a gift and thats not a good way to Finance a Small Football Club no matter how well intention ed - it also would mask if we weren't generating enough cash in day to day business 

2 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

If it was to be announced that we'd signed a new striker and it was Kris Doolan, my first reaction would be disappointment. Much as I've loved watching him play for us over the past 10 years, the last couple of seasons have been a bit painful to watch. He's just not been the player he was. All of those folk who would take him back in an instant and who think Caldwell will struggle to replace him (and who will doubtless condemn any new striker who signs as not being fit to lace his boots) are viewing things through rose tinted glasses. It's time to move on.  For Kris too. Maybe a new club will allow him to get his mojo back. Like every Thistle fan, I wish him all the best and I'll be following his next steps with huge interest, but Thistle need someone who delivers more than Kris has managed in the last two seasons. We got a glimpse of what might be possible with Scott MacDonald - let's hope Caldwell can come up with someone as good for this season.

Think you’ve got to look beyond that a little bit Firhillista , the team has been shocking for the 3/4 of the last 2 seasons and that has reflected on all the strikers over the last 2 seasons, don’t think any striker got double figures any of the 2 seasons mentioned.

There was a lack of creativity within the team and there still is to a certain extent and possibly we are disappointed in Doolans goal return because of what he did in previous seasons but I would still have Kris Doolan provided we play an offensive and an attacking system.

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

Think you’ve got to look beyond that a little bit Firhillista , the team has been shocking for the 3/4 of the last 2 seasons and that has reflected on all the strikers over the last 2 seasons, don’t think any striker got double figures any of the 2 seasons mentioned.

There was a lack of creativity within the team and there still is to a certain extent and possibly we are disappointed in Doolans goal return because of what he did in previous seasons but I would still have Kris Doolan provided we play an offensive and an attacking system.

Sorry, don't buy it. Doolan was as much part of those teams as anyone else. I get the temptation to excuse his performances on the basis of the whole team, but it doesn't wash. I remember the first game against Stenhousemuir when he had two chances to score and missed both. Nothing to do with a lack of attack from the rest of the team. It didn't really change for him from then on.

1 minute ago, Firhillista said:

Sorry, don't buy it. Doolan was as much part of those teams as anyone else. I get the temptation to excuse his performances on the basis of the whole team, but it doesn't wash. I remember the first game against Stenhousemuir when he had two chances to score and missed both. Nothing to do with a lack of attack from the rest of the team. It didn't really change for him from then on.

The other strikers didn’t really do it when Doolan was on the bench , Spittal was top goal scorer with 8 goals last season , we only scored just over 1 goal per game over the last 2 seasons 

Two relegation threatened seasons , nobody did it for us in terms of goal scoring , more about the safety first tactics of Archie and to a lesser extent Gary Caldwell.

We all know what Kris Doolan can do on a football park , worst miss of the season was Scott Macdonald’s against Falkirk away from home , all strikers miss chances , our team over the last 2 seasons has created very little because of the way we’ve been set up .

Interesting to see who we replace Scott McDonald and Doolan with .

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I havent made any allegation - I've pointed out that the Chairman's statement leaves it nice and vague for the option of ad hoc funding-  which to the best of my knowledge has occurred over a period of time for things like refurbishments of certain parts of the Stadium  - Players Trips of various Guises - etc  

The Ad Hoc Funding  is important because its not reflected in our Revenue Generated by the Club - its a gift and thats not a good way to Finance a Small Football Club no matter how well intention ed - it also would mask if we weren't generating enough cash in day to day business 

So, the adhoc funding that you believe has happened. What sort of value is it ? I think that as you are complaining that the chairman is being vague, you should be explicit. Don’t you ?

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I don’t understand. Would  he be more interested if he went every week to watch the reserves/academy matches, but didn’t give any contracts ?

Believe me , there was very little interest from Gary Caldwell re the 18s and the reserves , not sure if that was because of the situation we were in , the contracts were very limited because of budgets or possibly some of the other 18s might have stepped up .

In fairness I think Andy Rudden has got a chance of being involved with the First Team from what I’ve seen .

1 minute ago, That 1 jags fan said:

McDonald got more goals this season than Doolan it was the correct decision to move on sadly.

You could be right , all depends on who we replace him with , at this moment in time we’ve got a big rebuilding job , especially as we’ve taken away Spittalls , Macdonald and Doolans goals .

My big criticism of Archie was we let players go with no idea of how to replace them , hopefully that’s not the case with Caldwell.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I'd bet my house on most clubs in Scotland receiving financial support of that nature, even the 'big' ones. I'd only truly be concerned if it was financing the day-to-day running of the club.

You're coming across as curmudgeonly here. I'd go as far as to say vindictive.

12 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I'd bet my house on most clubs in Scotland receiving financial support of that nature, even the 'big' ones. I'd only truly be concerned if it was financing the day-to-day running of the club.

You're coming across as curmudgeonly here. I'd go as far as to say vindictive.

Im not disagreeing with the fact that there is funding - or even against it but the important bit is this 

The Club should be open about it and its declared in the Accounts as a Donation - otherwise there is no real measure of the Clubs Finances  

The Chairman,s statement to the native eye made out we were not receiving funding - when in fact it left the door open for " non regular " funding  - Fans can judge as to why there was contractions in the statement- and where it fits into the later statement on openness

It was stated we received £500K in Parachute Money-  whereas as a Premier Club we received another £350K of Euro Money - again fans  can judge in the new Spirit of Openness as to why a large sum of Money simply wasn't mentioned 

The Chairman chose to dedicate large parts of her Statement to Finances & Openness -if pointing out the contradictions is negative - so be it   

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

So, the adhoc funding that you believe has happened. What sort of value is it ? I think that as you are complaining that the chairman is being vague, you should be explicit. Don’t you ?

The Funding isnt the issue  ( or the value ) - its the fact that its being made out we dont get any-  but actually not stating that - in addition we should know the level of any funding in our Accounts as donations - otherwise how do we know if we are a viable entity financially ?  

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

This.

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Im not disagreeing with the fact that there is funding - or even against it but the important bit is this 

The Club should be open about it and its declared in the Accounts as a Donation - otherwise there is no real measure of the Clubs Finances  

The Chairman,s statement to the native eye made out we were not receiving funding - when in fact it left the door open for " non regular " funding  - Fans can judge as to why there was contractions in the statement- and where it fits into the later statement on openness

It was stated we received £500K in Parachute Money-  whereas as a Premier Club we received another £350K of Euro Money - again fans  can judge in the new Spirit of Openness as to why a large sum of Money simply wasn't mentioned 

The Chairman chose to dedicate large parts of her Statement to Finances & Openness -if pointing out the contradictions is negative - so be it   

The £350k is for youth development.

11 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Believe me , there was very little interest from Gary Caldwell re the 18s and the reserves , not sure if that was because of the situation we were in , the contracts were very limited because of budgets or possibly some of the other 18s might have stepped up .

In fairness I think Andy Rudden has got a chance of being involved with the First Team from what I’ve seen .

I guess you must have contacts at Firhill. However, I am still struggling to understand. Are you saying that some of the under 18’s might have stepped up during the season but couldn’t because of budget restrictions ? That doesn’t square with him having only spent 1/3 of budget in Jan. 

Also, who decided to give the 3 contracts to academy players for this new season ?

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

I guess you must have contacts at Firhill. However, I am still struggling to understand. Are you saying that some of the under 18’s might have stepped up during the season but couldn’t because of budget restrictions ? That doesn’t square with him having only spent 1/3 of budget in Jan. 

Also, who decided to give the 3 contracts to academy players for this new season ?

Ryan Mcann and Scott Allison put names forward but it was budget restricted 

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The Funding isnt the issue  ( or the value ) - its the fact that its being made out we dont get any-  but actually not stating that - in addition we should know the level of any funding in our Accounts as donations - otherwise how do we know if we are a viable entity financially ?  

In your opinion. As far as I can see you have no facts. Well she definitely said that there is no ongoing financial support.

That says to me, that if there was any funding, it wasn’t for the day to day operations.