Vaguely Jaggy Factoids

Jaggernaut

47 minutes ago, Blackpool Jags said:

The greatest game of football ever played took place on 23rd October 1971 at Hampden Park between Partick Thistle from Maryhill and sellick. The team from Maryhill ran out 4-1 winners, having led 4-0 at half time. 

One advantage of being a certain vintage. Is being able to say 'I was there'.

• Like 1

Just back from hampden, utter pish, but go to see sod in the flesh again which was nice. Can I also add that Thistle would have given the mighty Cyprus a better game. Used to be going to see the national team was a welcome break from club football, not anymore:frantic:

10 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Just back from hampden, utter pish, but go to see sod in the flesh again which was nice. Can I also add that Thistle would have given the mighty Cyprus a better game. Used to be going to see the national team was a welcome break from club football, not anymore:frantic:

Really utter pish? I just saw the highlights, so they are selective, but it looked like we had some really nice attacking play. The central defence seemed to have too many gaps for comfort, but I would expect the manager to get that sorted.

Anyway, here's hoping the women can get a great result this evening.

14 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

I didn't think it was too bad.

SOD's near miss would have been so similar to his legendary goal against Dunfermline.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Really utter pish? I just saw the highlights, so they are selective, but it looked like we had some really nice attacking play. The central defence seemed to have too many gaps for comfort, but I would expect the manager to get that sorted.

Anyway, here's hoping the women can get a great result this evening.

Actually, I thought Scotland were excellent when they played at a tempo that upset Cyprus, but for the majority of the game they did seem to play an odd 'containment' game, and the main attacking play seemed to depend on wingers playing wide and then putting in crosses to players who were at a height disadvantage to the Cyprus defenders.  IMO, had they played direct from midfield through the middle of the Cyprus defence, I think there would have been more goals.

I will say the TV highlights made Scotland look a lot better than they actually were, and why that Scottish goalkeeper is the first choice is a mystery to me., his distribution [which you didn't see in the highlights] was almost laughable.