Chief Scout Appointed

Fawlty Towers

21 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

I think I would rather see a list of players he has scouted rather than the clubs he has been at. 

I think that the important thing for us is to see what he brings to Thistle, rather that what he has done, or who he has worked for in the past.

Scouting seems to be an area that we were lacking in so this development has got to be an improvement.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

I think that the important thing for us is to see what he brings to Thistle, rather that what he has done, or who he has worked for in the past.

Scouting seems to be an area that we were lacking in so this development has got to be an improvement.

Absolutely. I see that we worked with him in the winter window, so maybe he had a hand in identifying some players ?

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't recall much scouting being necessary re the January window.

I don’t think names were picked out a hat, barring Ally Roy and Brian Kerr’s old pals act regarding GGH? 

There was the infamous Whats.App in conjunction with scouts in Scotland and the North of England. Apparently the new Chief Scout was involved too. Hopefully the new arrangement can reap some benefits. 

Obviously we wouldn’t want a Falkirk style raiding of unknowns who are in the majority still unknowns. Then again one or two new faces would be interesting. 

I see Morton have signed a couple of lads from the Northern Premier league, through their new goalkeeping coach’s recommendation.

I would like to see an experienced striker and centre half added to the first team. I’d look for the rest to bring down the average age of the squad.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Very Positive Move - No idea why we didnt replace Bobby Dinnie 

Irreplaceable imho. Hope the new guy comes a closed second, or betters him?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Thistleberight said:

Irreplaceable imho. Hope the new guy comes a closed second, or betters him?

Don’t think the new guy should even be mentioned in the same breath as the great Bobby Dinnie  MBE the players he scouted include Kenny Dalglish , Robert Fleck , Eddie Kelly , Tony Fitzpatrick, Bobby Russell  etc and of course our own Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine.

If the new guy even gets 1 or 2 players that he scouts and we develop I would be delighted and that would be a success in my book .

So far nobody has enlightened me about how somebody gets into the "career" of being a scout.  Are there training courses or qualifications? Do you really get a salary for going to watch matches (or these days, watching videos) in the hope that you (like lots of other people) might spot a good player? What's the measure of success.... getting your club to sign one or two decent or excellent players per decade?  Do you get paid according to how many players get signed on your recommendation?

I'm genuinely intrigued by this.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

So far nobody has enlightened me about how somebody gets into the "career" of being a scout.  Are there training courses or qualifications? Do you really get a salary for going to watch matches (or these days, watching videos) in the hope that you (like lots of other people) might spot a good player? What's the measure of success.... getting your club to sign one or two decent or excellent players per decade?  Do you get paid according to how many players get signed on your recommendation?

Why not contact the new chief scout via the club e-mail. I'm sure that one of the duties of the chief scout would be to manage the scouting network.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I don't know what the current state of scouting is, my mates dad was chief scout for man city in the 80's and 90's, for Scotland and north England. He got a car, expenses account and what seems to have been a decent wage.

I expect the new man will be on a wage, possibly tied into shares in the player, sell on clauses etc. Scouting has become in recent times a role adopted by agents who try to "sell" their player to a club on the premise this is the missing part of the jigsaw. Indeed a former agent is now player director at the arabs so they are getting everywhere.

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

There is an excellent book by Michael Calvin called “The Nowhere Men” about scouting - well worth a read if you are interested in the scouting side of things 

Edited by Stephen1876

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

There is an SFA accredited course on scouting which provides you with the basic tools for the job.

Two types of scout seem to exist in the scottish game,

• player scouts who look for players and report on them.
  • Tactical scouts who go to watch a team and report on shape, tactics, individual strengths/weaknesses....

I seem to remember that the club was actively looking for people to act as scouts recently and would provide training for interested parties??

Don't think you need to be an ex-pro to provide either function but obviously the way the game works is that managers/clubs will go to mates first who are interested in staying in the game in some form or other whilst injured, between jobs or retired from playing.

Oh well and here was me labouring under the missunderstanding that to be chief scout you needed to have a name like Tiger Boyles, served in the part-time branch of an elite military force and spent a good bit of time leading twats who don't know better into wildernesses which don't really exist and have four star hotels attached to them! :secret:

On 6/9/2019 at 10:06 PM, jlsarmy said:

Don’t think the new guy should even be mentioned in the same breath as the great Bobby Dinnie  MBE the players he scouted include Kenny Dalglish , Robert Fleck , Eddie Kelly , Tony Fitzpatrick, Bobby Russell  etc and of course our own Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine.

If the new guy even gets 1 or 2 players that he scouts and we develop I would be delighted and that would be a success in my book .

Plus Archie and Kenny Arthur