Lewis Mansell

Dick Dastardly

I'm not convinced he's ready yet. His first two outings, especially the hearts home tie I thought we'd unearthed a cracker. Tailed off then last few games started to look better, skippy influence no doubt.

Welcome back Lewis.

47 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I'm not convinced he's ready yet. His first two outings, especially the hearts home tie I thought we'd unearthed a cracker. Tailed off then last few games started to look better, skippy influence no doubt.

Welcome back Lewis.

Got to agree , at best Lewis is a squad player, not sure I would have given him a 2 year deal .

Hope I’m proved wrong, but I don’t see him scoring a lot of goals .

I know Caldwell really rates him so a 2 year deal is the least I expected. I sense if he works at his game and overcomes his one glaring deficiency then we could have a real player. He's certainly got age on his side.

As it is at worse we have an energetic squad player. One who knows the squad and one who's already contributed. 

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Got to agree , at best Lewis is a squad player, not sure I would have given him a 2 year deal .

He is maybe a squad player just now(although being the only striker he is 1st choice), but who knows how he will develop.

3 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I know Caldwell really rates him so a 2 year deal is the least I expected. I sense if he works at his game and overcomes his one glaring deficiency then we could have a real player. He's certainly got age on his side.

As it is at worse we have an energetic squad player. One who knows the squad and one who's already contributed. 

Please enlighten me. What is his one glaring deficiency?

I thought he was quite good at glaring (though I would have to say that Shelley Kerr is the master of that particular art).

17 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Please enlighten me. What is his one glaring deficiency?

I thought he was quite good at glaring (though I would have to say that Shelley Kerr is the master of that particular art).

:D

It's like a broken record with me but the lad is so desperately one footed. Paul Paton level. The fact he made an impression (npi) despite that is encouraging. Hardly needing to work on his weeker foot to Charlton/Best standard but being able to use it now and again will be a great help.

5 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

That's what McDonald gave us, goals, every time he got the ball there was expectation. We've not had that for a few seasons. Hope he gets off to a dobbie/shankland start.

19 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's like a broken record with me but the lad is so desperately one footed. Paul Paton level. The fact he made an impression (npi) despite that is encouraging. Hardly needing to work on his weeker foot to Charlton/Best standard but being able to use it now and again will be a great help.

I must have spend hours, days, weeks, months in front of the wall kicking the ball with both feet. It's the only way to be sure footed with both feet they said, it's a sure fire winner they said, works every time they said..........no matter how I tried I just couldn't kick with my left. You're right of course but then it didn't hold cooper back. 

35 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Think you’re right LIB , especially as a Centre forward in the penalty box , you’ve not got the time to get it onto your stronger foot .

The positives , he’s not too bad in the air and he’s reasonably quick .

Work in progress I think 

An excellent signing.

I agree that McDonald had an influence. This is where I’m hoping Caldwell can be similarly influential. Lewis is coming into a relatively new environment. He is very good in the air, has reasonable pace and a great work ethic.

He needs to be able to hold the ball up better, something he can practice and be coached at.

He needs to develop a strikers instinct that Shankland has clearly acquired.

And he needs to be rather nastier like McDonald. Take no crap from opponents and manage referees. I recall big One being constantly wrongly penalised because he was regularly beating his man in the air(and he stood out like a sore thumb)

But I’m hoping for great things

Not sure about this. Played well in patches but can’t see him scoring more than half a dozen goals. Meanwhile we let dools go. Sorry...I can’t let that go but would definitely rather have kept doolan than mansell. Even though he had a poor season. 

Please don’t tell me they are different kinds of players. One is a natural goal scorer, and one is not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, blakey said:

Not sure about this. Played well in patches but can’t see him scoring more than half a dozen goals. Meanwhile we let dools go. Sorry...I can’t let that go but would definitely rather have kept doolan than mansell. Even though he had a poor season. 

Please don’t tell me they are different kinds of players. One is a natural goal scorer, and one is not.

Half a dozen is what Doolan got and yes it is important to say they are different players.

The point is he is young and can improve.  As he is now he is a decent player who will cause teams problems with his strength, height and pace.  We have space for two more forwards at least, and they can be more experienced players who can help bring Mansell on.  If we've got the budget for it I wouldn't mind a 4th forward, another younger player with potential, perhaps able to play another position as well.  But definitely two more forwards with experience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, That 1 jags fan said:

Half a dozen is what Doolan got and yes it is important to say they are different players.

Doolan had a bad season within a bad team who only confirmed their status on the last day of the season, listened to Caldwell’s interview on the official site and it’s worrying to listen to him, talking to agents  , right character etc

I would have thought all the targets for recruitment would have been in place at the end of last season , signed up and in place for pre season training. As he says himself he’s got 12 players plus the 3  youngsters we gave a deal to . At this moment he’s got to replace roughly 25 goals within the team , as McDonald, Spittal and Doolan have all left

Doolan should never have been allowed to leave unless we had someone else lined up to take his place of a similar quality , maybe Caldwell is getting a reality check on what is on offer for Wages of £500/600 per week  .

Edited by jlsarmy

4 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Doolan had a bad season within a bad team who only only confirmed their status on the last day of the season, listened to Caldwell’s interview on the official site and it’s worrying to listen to him, talking to agents  , right character etc

I would have thought all the targets for recruitment would have been in place at the end of last season , signed up and in place for pre season training. As he says himself he’s got 12 players plus the 3  youngsters we gave a deal to . At this moment he’s got to replace roughly 25 goals within the team , as McDonald, Spittal and Doolan have all left

Doolan should never have been allowed to leave unless we had someone else lined up to take his place of a similar quality , maybe Caldwell is getting a reality check on what is on offer for Wages of £500/600 per week  .

Haven't seen the video, but if this is what he is saying then it's a bit Archibaldesque.