Lewis Mansell

Dick Dastardly

3 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Haven't seen the video, but if this is what he is saying then it's a bit Archibaldesque.

More Kremlinesque. What he's saying in about 12 minutes of video could've been edited down in print to less than 2 minutes of reading time. Not a single salient point would have been overlooked.

58 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

More Kremlinesque. What he's saying in about 12 minutes of video could've been edited down in print to less than 2 minutes of reading time. Not a single salient point would have been overlooked.

No idea why it was even put out in the first place 

Didn't make anything up, Allyo, just as LIB says a bit repetitive.  More down to the producers than the manager though.  He said most of what needed to be saying on each topic, then the interviewer picked up on what had been said and asked leading questions (formed partly from what the manager had just said) which could only be answered by saying what he'd said previously. Unless they were under orders to produce a certain length of interview I reckon they need some lessons in planning an interview and in editing it.  As you say, " If people demand constant communication, but you don't have that much to say, " then they repeat themselves.  I'd have been happier with a shorter video.

BTW transfer window still has more than a month to go and the better targets will be biding their time, seeing what offers might be on from various clubs.

Edited by Mr Bunny

6 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

Didn't make anything up, Allyo, just as LIB says a bit repetitive.  More down to the producers than the manager though.  He said most of what needed to be saying on each topic, then the interviewer picked up on what had been said and asked leading questions (formed partly from what the manager had just said) which could only be answered by saying what he'd said previously. Unless they were under orders to produce a certain length of interview I reckon they need some lessons in planning an interview and in editing it.  As you say, " If people demand constant communication, but you don't have that much to say, " then they repeat themselves.  I'd have been happier with a shorter video.

BTW transfer window still has more than a month to go and the better targets will be biding their time, seeing what offers might be on from various clubs.

Not sure people are being too consistent re transfer policy , I personally was one who questioned the transfer policy with Archie, getting what was left ( players ) before the window shut and basically the quality of player wasn’t great . Surely it’s better to have targets , get them signed as Dunfermline have done , get them integrated into the Club , get their pre season done and be available for the first game.

Not sure if anybody else is thinking it could be a financial decision by the Club by not paying any new signings till nearer the start of the Season when there is more cash flow .

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gotta mind, jlsarmy, that we didn't know our league status till game 36. That would effectively rule out any tacit agreements while some other clubs would have a head start. 

You say that, but I think only Ross County knew their league status after game 34, so there weren't too many head starts in our league

We also siigned Williamson and re signed Cardle and Gordon straight away. Wouldn't wholly surprise me if Mansell had agreed in principle to join straight away but wasn't officially confirmed until paperwork signed when he came up for the start of pre season. 

Dunfermline have signed some kids plus Paul Paton and Morton have signed some English non league guys plus Aiden Nesbitt. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we were waiting on an answer from Kris Boyd which we've now received and other targets will now move up the list. 

I think the signing situation has to be viewed from a wider perspective. No other team's signing up players we should be going for. In fact, the only club making any significant number of signings is Dunfermline and there's no one gone there I'd want to see in a Thistle shirt. We've got the basis of a decent squad, but we need quality players in, particularly up front. The problem at the moment, and it's not just affecting Thistle, is that quality players just don't seem to be there. I can't honestly think of one player who I could reasonably see signing for us who I'd be excited by. (I'd take Sammon back, but I wouldn't be wildly enthusiastic about it... )

Is there anyone out there who we could reasonably sign who would fit the description of a 'marquee signing'?

Thin

4 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Gotta mind, jlsarmy, that we didn't know our league status till game 36. That would effectively rule out any tacit agreements while some other clubs would have a head start. 

Think there was 4 or 5 teams in the same situation as us , not sure what league they would be playing in , but it hasn’t stopped them getting players in.

Seems to be an ongoing thing at the Club , getting players in late in the transfer window, a good start even in the League Cup games breeds confidence and even the Supporters get a feel good factor out of it .

Maybe in the next couple of weeks there will be a raft of new signings but Caldwell’s interview wasn’t particularly inspiring to suggest that .

3 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I think the signing situation has to be viewed from a wider perspective. No other team's signing up players we should be going for. In fact, the only club making any significant number of signings is Dunfermline and there's no one gone there I'd want to see in a Thistle shirt. We've got the basis of a decent squad, but we need quality players in, particularly up front. The problem at the moment, and it's not just affecting Thistle, is that quality players just don't seem to be there. I can't honestly think of one player who I could reasonably see signing for us who I'd be excited by. (I'd take Sammon back, but I wouldn't be wildly enthusiastic about it... )

Is there anyone out there who we could reasonably sign who would fit the description of a 'marquee signing'?

For the perceived Wages on offer , don’t think we’re going to get the “ quality players “ we’re after .

McCall and McNamara both shopped around in the lower leagues and even in the Juniors ( Doolan and Erskine) , they both had a confidence in their coaching ability to make players with potential better football players, at our level just now that seems a more realistic way to build a football team .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jlsarmy said:

For the perceived Wages on offer , don’t think we’re going to get the “ quality players “ we’re after .

McCall and McNamara both shopped around in the lower leagues and even in the Juniors ( Doolan and Erskine) , they both had a confidence in their coaching ability to make players with potential better football players, at our level just now that seems a more realistic way to build a football team .

We should be signing players who could play in the Premiership and you won't find those players in the lower leagues or the Juniors. I get that your anti-Caldwell agenda means that you see his assumed failure to turn limited players into Premiership ones is just another stick to beat him with. 

3 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

We should be signing players who could play in the Premiership and you won't find those players in the lower leagues or the Juniors. I get that your anti-Caldwell agenda means that you see his assumed failure to turn limited players into Premiership ones is just another stick to beat him with. 

Not at all , said the same about Archie and the transfer policy then as well and that’s how we ended up with the dross we got last year , who ultimately cost us money in January when we had to pay up their contracts .

Realistically , are we going to get Premier League players for £600.00 a week. ?

58 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

We also siigned Williamson and re signed Cardle and Gordon straight away. Wouldn't wholly surprise me if Mansell had agreed in principle to join straight away but wasn't officially confirmed until paperwork signed when he came up for the start of pre season. 

Dunfermline have signed some kids plus Paul Paton and Morton have signed some English non league guys plus Aiden Nesbitt. 

I wouldn't be shocked if we were waiting on an answer from Kris Boyd which we've now received and other targets will now move up the list. 

I think it’s Dundee rather than the others that are getting a good player if they have signed Byrne from Livi and have been linked with Rudden- not worried about who Morton, pars etc have signed

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I was aimlessly browsing around internet and I hadn’t realised that Lewis is Welsh. Does that make him the first player from Wales to have scored for Thistle ?

Not quite but almost DD.  Maurice Parry played 30 games in 1909/10 season and scored once.

There are only 2 other players known to be Welsh to have played in the first team:- Arlen Birch (1 appearance) and Dan Jeffries (4 apps).

Guess you'd need to ask him what nationality he is, he was born in England and sounds as Lancashire as they come. 

As much as I'd love him to be this good, I doubt he's got a chance of being capped at senior level by either England or Wales so getting called into a Wales under 19 squad (not sure if he even played) probably doesn't count. 

Dan Jefferies was at least Welsh born which I hoped would put an end to the Sean / Steve Welsh gags regarding Welsh players at Firhill but apparently not.