Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

Against Japan Scotland reminded me so much of recent Thistle teams! Too many completely pointless side-to-side and backward passes, sometimes all the way back to the goalkeeper, then the inevitable punt and possession lost. The lose a stupid goal (a fluffed defensive header), then a soft penalty, and from then on there's a mountain to climb, and only then do they try to look as if they want to score. In the second half when they ran directly at the Japanese defence they looked much more dangerous. The substitute Emslie should have been on much earlier. The manager got it wrong with the negative tactics in the first half. 

Never really watched woman’s football but have watched the Scotland games. The goalkeepers really let the product down. How the keeper didn’t save the first Japan goal I don’t know. I do think they should consider making the goals and possibly the pitch smaller in the woman’s game

2 hours ago, p12tfc said:

Never really watched woman’s football but have watched the Scotland games. The goalkeepers really let the product down. How the keeper didn’t save the first Japan goal I don’t know. I do think they should consider making the goals and possibly the pitch smaller in the woman’s game

Nah, there are some very big and tall women in the  game. I think the defender right in front of the keeper meant that she only saw the ball very late, but not sure she would have managed to reach it anyway.

One completely irrelevant thing struck me: in the Scottish team there wasn't a single player with either a Mac or Mc surname. The men's teams always have several (e.g. against Belgium there was McKenna, McLean, McGregor, McTominay). I've long noticed that the Scottish rugby team almost never has a Mac or Mc player as well (there are only two in the 42-strong squad for the World Cup later this summer). I assumed that for rugby it was because of a predominance of Borders/Lowlands-originating rugby families, but that wouldn't explain the total absence in women's football.

Edited by Jaggernaut

49 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Nah, there are some very big and tall women in the  game.........

One completely irrelevant thing struck me: in the Scottish team there wasn't a single player with either a Mac or Mc surname. 

Not in the least surprised. If you've ever watched Pulp Fiction it's clearly mentioned that they are not called Big Macs in France.

• Haha 2

Women should play football and should be encouraged to get better at it. However, the current attempts by various agencies to promote their game as the same product as men's is ridiculous.

It is not the same game. I have watched a couple of world cup games and it has been absolutely dreadful.  

How would the Scotland national team get on against a men's Scottish second division team. Not very well I suspect. Yet they don't televise Scottish  2nd div football.

You read headlines like... Mary Jones scores fifteen goals against China an achievement never matched even in men's football - it's nonsense to make any comparison.

I predict that women's football will destroy the men's game. Political correctness will force all teams to have a Womens team and pay them the same.  There will be little income from fans  and nost teams will be unable to sustain that and will be forced out of business.... you heard it here first!

Edited by Legs Like A Spider

Emslie waa the best player against England so I have no idea why she didn’t start the second game.

I've really enjoyed it. This time of year needs a tournament. I think the bigger production and bigger crowds make a big difference to the whole thing as a TV spectacle. 

As a game I think it works really well. With less powerful players there's a need to play a passing game which isn't always the case in men's football. And most of the games are reasonably well matched. There are exceptions.

Unexpected TV bonus for me. I wasn't waiting for it in anticipation, but I've enjoyed it.

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

Emslie waa the best player against England so I have no idea why she didn’t start the second game.

I've really enjoyed it. This time of year needs a tournament. I think the bigger production and bigger crowds make a big difference to the whole thing as a TV spectacle. 

As a game I think it works really well. With less powerful players there's a need to play a passing game which isn't always the case in men's football. And most of the games are reasonably well matched. There are exceptions.

Unexpected TV bonus for me. I wasn't waiting for it in anticipation, but I've enjoyed it.

Me too. Yes, they don't have the same physical abilities as men, but neither do children, and some kids games can be really enjoyable to watch too.

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

Women should play football and should be encouraged to get better at it. However, the current attempts by various agencies to promote their game as the same product as men's is ridiculous.

It is not the same game. I have watched a couple of world cup games and it has been absolutely dreadful.  

How would the Scotland national team get on against a men's Scottish second division team. Not very well I suspect. Yet they don't televise Scottish  2nd div football.

You read headlines like... Mary Jones scores fifteen goals against China an achievement never matched even in men's football - it's nonsense to make any comparison.

I predict that women's football will destroy the men's game. Political correctness will force all teams to have a Womens team and pay them the same.  There will be little income from fans  and nost teams will be unable to sustain that and will be forced out of business.... you heard it here first!

Jog on, arse.

• Sad 1

I can see both sides of the argument.  I have enjoyed watching the world cup as a one off football fix in the close season however would I want to watch woman’s football every week then the answer would be no.

I do like the technical side of it and slower nature which in some respect reminds me of mens footie in the 1970’s.  A lot of mens football now especially at our level is fast, devoid of skill and all about small percentages/mistakes.  In the passage of time the woman’s game will probably become similar, a bit like woman’s tennis.  

Whilst the same sport I do feel they are separate games.  I know our Chairwoman is a bit advocate of the woman’s game and usually her programme notes reflect this however truth be told I could tell you very little about the Jags woman’s squad and giving the choice of our womans team winning their league or our mens team winning their opening fixture it would be the latter.  Anyway lets hope Scotland Ladies can stuff Argentina and make it through to the next round.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Jog on, arse.

There was no need for this type of comment.

The bloke(?)  gave an opinion, which I don't agree with either, but your reply adds nothing to the discussion.

To many threads these days are degenerating into useless personal attacks like this.

Discuss the issues by all means, but please cut out the insults.

Otherwise I'll tell your mammie you're using naughty words.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nonsense.  Utter drivel. Bunkum. Pish.

Scottish football is not the same game as English Premier. I have watched a couple of Scottish Championship games and it's terrible. How would Raith Rovers get on against Barcelona?  You've seen the results,  Arbroath 36 - Bon Accord 0. An acheivement which will be difficult for two women's teams to top in a cup tie.

I predict that womens football will continue to improve and become more popular. Despite what some mysoginistic fans think.

14 minutes ago, Rid Skwerr said:

There was no need for this type of comment.

The bloke(?)  gave an opinion, which I don't agree with either, but your reply adds nothing to the discussion.

To many threads these days are degenerating into useless personal attacks like this.

Discuss the issues by all means, but please cut out the insults.

Otherwise I'll tell your mammie you're using naughty words.

Thank you.

I certainly shook things up a bit on a quiet  close season Saturday morning  :D

Thought that's wot forums were for... maybe not!

Don't go for the argument that goals should be smaller etc. When football was invented men were much smaller. If anything the current dimensions were designed for people of the physical capabilities of modern female athletes, not male.

Physical power actually spoils a few sports. Some of the historic golf courses are like pitch and putt for modern players, and men's tennis was really boring 20 years ago (though some outstanding players of recent era have rescued it).

I wouldn't argue that women's football is there yet. In its development, and in its pool of players, it is years behind the men's game. But in a way that's a good thing because it means there is so much more to come.

And there may be a bit of political correctness, but the publicity is needed for the development so I'm happy to see it, especially as the father of a daughter.

The woman's game when watching this Scottish team has, for me, been along the lines of 1) they don't move the ball quickly enough out of defence 2) outfield players are not making themselves available to receive a pass from defence 3) players are insisting on playing a passing game out from defence when the more appropriate outplay is a long ball (certain Thistle similarities there) but for me the tournament is being disrupted by the use of VAR.

I think VAR is useful to confirm goals that the on-field referees have missed … Geoff Hurst's disputed 'goal' in 1966 started the discussion for the need for goal line technology, and would have helped us last season when Kris Doolan's 'ghost' goal was disallowed. But I don't think the forensic inspection of whether a players elbow deflected a ball driven at pace ever so slightly to the left or right is what we either wanted or asked for?

Regarding the Thistle Ladies team, perhaps next year the match programme (and the website) can publicise better where the games will be played, if I wont be able to watch a Monday afternoon reserves game, maybe I can watch Thistle Ladies.

Off topic a bit but in my opinion VAR will ruin football (certainly more than women's football will :happy2:). Biggest thing about football is the immediate rush when a goal is scored. If you take that away, if every time the ball hits the net all people are doing is waiting for a decision, then football biggest assets is destroyed.

And I predominantly blame the media, for constantly focusing attention on refereeing decisions ahead of everything else.

• Like 1

Whichever gender is playing, Erin Cuthbert is the feisty, combative sort of character who makes football worth watching, encourages the team, rumbles up the opposition and inspires the fans. 

For some reason, Kim Little has been the precise opposite. She obviously has bags of skill and the ability to change games, but has been content to do the minimum to recycle possession, as though she were on a "work to rule".  If we can get her more engaged, then with Claire Emslie on from the start (cannot understand why she was dropped), there must be a reasonable chance of further progression.

I agree with a lot of what the opening poster said about similarities to Thistle. The season just passed has been notable for a lot of performances where the quality of the first half has been light years from the quality of the second half (and the difference has of course been in both directions). Hopefully this season we will see some Cuthbert-like spirit and vigour from Thistle and  some 90/95 minute performances.

Great observation @partickthedog. I'd love for Thistle to have such a player.

Really enjoying the games, were there mens international football on I'd probably chose that but this is a good product and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Similarities between this and the mens international team....disputed penalty not given, last 1/4 bombarding of opposition goal, last minute goal, just failing.....if only we'd been given the stonewall penalty etc etc