Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

Have watched a few Scotland games over the months and can enjoy it in a similar way to enjoying womens tennis.

Was getting in to the swing of it and now am done.

The decisions against Scotland have been disgraceful and as much as I can accept and enjoy this level of entertainment, I cannot accept sub-standard officiating that is bordering on cheating.

I feel so sorry for the team and have been known to shout expletives at referees and linesmen from my living room, but this is another level.

It's almost* the equivalent of playing Rangers in every game.

*Would take another 140 years of cheating to be the equivalent of Rangers.

It’s a football game and 11 girls knocking their pan in for Scotland.

I didn’t see the Japan game but the VAR thing was farcical. Goal line technology yes but, really what a disgusting decision.I felt sorry for the young lady concerned as there was absolutely no intent. Nobody except some nerd in the stand even noticed.

There is no need for equal wages and I don’t think the women are anywhere close to wanting this.

Get girls playing the game, it’s great.Get them watching too. Get them out the house.

And don’t pay attention to media headlines.

On 6/15/2019 at 8:45 AM, Legs Like A Spider said:

Women should play football and should be encouraged to get better at it. However, the current attempts by various agencies to promote their game as the same product as men's is ridiculous.

It is not the same game. I have watched a couple of world cup games and it has been absolutely dreadful.  

How would the Scotland national team get on against a men's Scottish second division team. Not very well I suspect. Yet they don't televise Scottish  2nd div football.

You read headlines like... Mary Jones scores fifteen goals against China an achievement never matched even in men's football - it's nonsense to make any comparison.

I predict that women's football will destroy the men's game. Political correctness will force all teams to have a Womens team and pay them the same.  There will be little income from fans  and nost teams will be unable to sustain that and will be forced out of business.... you heard it here first!

Sooner it’s banned all the better for men’s game in general, pissing money away with tom boy fitba players , anyone who thinks it’s no shit has no idea of the game 

• Downvote 3

12 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Sooner it’s banned all the better for men’s game in general, pissing money away with tom boy fitba players , anyone who thinks it’s no shit has no idea of the game 

Behave, are we going to ban women from playing tennis as well ? , tell you what some of the women have got more ability than the players  I’ve been watching from our Club over the last 2 seasons.

6 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Behave, are we going to ban women from playing tennis as well ? , tell you what some of the women have got more ability than the players  I’ve been watching from our Club over the last 2 seasons.

The nation complains about no talent coming through due to no money , limited facilities, cost of pitches etc but we throw or sorry waste money on woman’s fitba when it could be invested in grassroots boys fitba 

• Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

The nation complains about no talent coming through due to no money , limited facilities, cost of pitches etc but we throw or sorry waste money on woman’s fitba when it could be invested in grassroots boys fitba 

Whereabouts does it say that any sport is exclusively for men ? 

I would bet the amount of money given to women's football in Scotland is pretty minimal.  Also, although more resources are needed (which means money) using what resources you have as best as you can is more important.  I reckon we've been wasting a lot of what's been put into youth football.  The SFA has been clueless about this for about 40 years and each new scheme seems to be non productive.  I don't expect us to ever go back to the days of Dalglish, Jordan, Gemmill, Souness and the likes but wouldn't it be nice if we had even one centre forward who was good enough to be signed by even a lower half EPL team? Of course the SPFL teams take a lot of blame too (not the ones who've never been near the top division who have very limited resources).

Edited by Mr Bunny

23 minutes ago, Mr Bunny said:

I would bet the amount of money given to women's football in Scotland is pretty minimal.  Also, although more resources are needed (which means money) using what resources you have as best as you can is more important.  I reckon we've been wasting a lot of what's been put into youth football.  The SFA has been clueless about this for about 40 years and each new scheme seems to be non productive.  I don't expect us to ever go back to the days of Dalglish, Jordan, Gemmill, Souness and the likes but wouldn't it be nice if we had even one centre forward who was good enough to be signed by even a lower half EPL team? Of course the SPFL teams take a lot of blame too (not the ones who've never been near the top division who have very limited resources).

The whole set up in Scottish football is all wrong , having watched a lot of development games over the last couple of seasons, I believe there is talent there but a lot of them aren’t getting the chance to progress and get discarded at 16 or 17 years of age .

We need someone within the governing bodies to be radical with a bit of vision , make the Leagues bigger , make the Clubs play a minimum of 2 or 3 players that are under 21 .  If we did that teams would maybe focus more on bringing the young talent through, it can only benefit Scottish Football for the future.

1 hour ago, Mr Bunny said:

Read the other day that it's 5% of total spend which is higher than the 3% in England.

Tbh I've enjoyed it and would love the Scottish team to reach the last 16 with a win tomorrow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Read the other day that it's 5% of total spend which is higher than the 3% in England.

Tbh I've enjoyed it and would love the Scottish team to reach the last 16 with a win tomorrow.

It would be a tremendous feat. Just got to hope that the manager lets go of her ultra-cautiousness and lets the women attack Argentina relentlessly (though not recklessly) from the start, which she didn't do against England or Japan.

2 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

It would be a tremendous feat. Just got to hope that the manager lets go of her ultra-cautiousness and lets the women attack Argentina relentlessly (though not recklessly) from the start, which she didn't do against England or Japan.

I have a horrible feeling that the women will follow the Scottish tradition of going out on goal difference. (At least they qualified).

13 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

The whole set up in Scottish football is all wrong , having watched a lot of development games over the last couple of seasons, I believe there is talent there but a lot of them aren’t getting the chance to progress and get discarded at 16 or 17 years of age .

We need someone within the governing bodies to be radical with a bit of vision , make the Leagues bigger , make the Clubs play a minimum of 2 or 3 players that are under 21 .  If we did that teams would maybe focus more on bringing the young talent through, it can only benefit Scottish Football for the future.

Right there I can see we're f*cked.  The saga of reinstating a new Rangers and claiming it is the old one (while failing to properly punish either for years of wrongly registered players) shows that the people who run football here can't see further than the cash-cow that is the old firm.  Scotland games used to be a lesser cash-cow for them but they've been killing that off with their incompetence.  For instance, none of the bigger SPL clubs will ever wear a bigger league with a wider spread of money that the OF brings (even though financially, these clubs were fine when New Gers were in the lower leagues, they seem incapable of learning anything).  I wish I was wrong and the kind of things you suggest would happen but I don't see it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Agree with what you say here, and I think it may apply to the men's and woman's game that there needs to be a serious look at how we run the football leagues that produce the Scotland players of tomorrow.

In the Scottish example, within the men's game, if we continue to have 12 & 10 team leagues there is less likelihood of young players progressing through to first team status simply because of the 'cut-throat' nature of the leagues (ref. PTFC and QOS and Falkirk and etc etc during last season).  If we had 3 leagues of 14 and a requirement to play a number of under 21 players in each game, perhaps the national team would flourish? But …. if I am a shareholder in a moderately successful SPL team with serious income from european football, do I want to do change the rules to benefit the national team and perhaps put my clubs income stream in jeopardy?

I'm not sure of the league set-up for the woman's game [bearing in mind our women are drawn from from 4, or maybe 5 different national leagues], but anyway .....  it appears to be the case the womans system works better to benefit the national teams than the mens.

What seems to be missing is the will / money / desire to have a football coaching / mentoring system similar to that of Holland or Belgium. 

7 minutes ago, One t in Scotland said:

Thank **** there's no VAR at PTFC games. Id chuck it - absolutely killing the game. 5 minutes of endless replays before making your mind up?

100%

How FIFA can't understand that football relies on the moments, the goals, the saves, the  immediate rush of energy when these things happen. And that without them you take away the essence of what makes football the most popular game in the world....

Gutted that it affected Scotland tonight. But possibly more gutted that the people responsible for overseeing the game seem hellbent on destroying it, and don't have the wisdom or insight to understand that.

1 hour ago, Grubber8468 said:

The VAR is utterly ridiculous!! How can it take so long to make a decision!

Agreed. Not only that, it'g getting used selectively. A normal tv replay showed a definite deliberate hand ball by a Japanese player in their match against Scotland. There was no use of VAR to confirm it. Of course the question can also be raised about why it wasn't used in that case.