Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

51 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Misogynistic dinosaurs?

One thing I've noticed about the women's football is that the commentators refer to their "lovely smiles" quite a lot. Very Alan Partridge.

It rarely happens in men's football, though I have heard it used around African teams.

5 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

So if you don't find woman's football entertaining you are misogynistic i.e. hate women.  What if you don't find cricket ( men's) entertaining do you then open yourself up to a similar level of name calling?

Slow Friday? Looking to start a fight?

The misogynistic dinosaurs reaction was to the statement that it should be "banned completely". It's not entirely clear what was meant by that, but if it referred to women playing football, then I think it's pretty dodgy (though maybe a joke).

It wasn't suggesting that anyone should be forced to find it entertaining.

Edited by allyo

36 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

So if you don't find woman's football entertaining you are misogynistic i.e. hate women.  What if you don't find cricket ( men's) entertaining do you then open yourself up to a similar level of name calling?

What a stupid response. I called him, (I presume), a misogynistic dinosaur because of posts in this thread.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:28 PM, Bobbyhouston said:

Sooner it’s banned all the better for men’s game in general, pissing money away with tom boy fitba players , anyone who thinks it’s no shit has no idea of the game 

On 6/18/2019 at 7:55 PM, Bobbyhouston said:

The nation complains about no talent coming through due to no money , limited facilities, cost of pitches etc but we throw or sorry waste money on woman’s fitba when it could be invested in grassroots boys fitba 

15 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Should be completely banned 

Not surprised that you leapt to his defence though

On 6/15/2019 at 8:45 AM, Legs Like A Spider said:

I predict that women's football will destroy the men's game. Political correctness will force all teams to have a Womens team and pay them the same.  There will be little income from fans  and nost teams will be unable to sustain that and will be forced out of business.... you heard it here first!

57 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

A feminist? ;)

53 minutes ago, allyo said:

The misogynistic dinosaurs reaction was to the statement that it should be "banned completely". It's not entirely clear what was meant by that, but if it referred to women playing football, then I think it's pretty dodgy (though maybe a joke).

It wasn't suggesting that anyone should be forced to find it entertaining.

There you go no fighting required.

The banning thing is a bit ridiculous and teams like thistle should have a women's team. My own daughters and friends daughters play.

There is a current media campaign built around the world cup that is forcing people to find it entertaining and treat it the same as the men's game which it isn't 

There is also a recent problem on this forum where a select few police the forum and non conforming views are cut short in a hail of name calling and abuse. If memory serves me right you became a target the other night when the new owner was being discussed and you defended your position well ( and correctly).

Anyway the name calling earlier wasn't directed at me so I'll disappear and watch the interesting informed debates unfolding on the forum and not get involved in any squabbling.

Edited by Legs Like A Spider
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

There you go no fighting required.

The banning thing is a bit ridiculous and teams like thistle should have a women's team. My own daughters and friends daughters play.

There is a current media campaign built around the world cup that is forcing people to find it entertaining and treat it the same as the men's game which it isn't 

There is also a recent problem on this forum where a select few police the forum and non conforming views are cut short in a hail of name calling and abuse. If memory serves me right you became a target the other night when the new owner was being discussed and you defended your position well ( and correctly).

Anyway the name calling earlier wasn't directed at me so I'll disappear and watch the interesting informed debates unfolding on the forum and not get involved in any squabbling.

Going to be pedantic here... sorry it's a slow day for me... :-)

I agree that it's not the same as the men's game. I wasn't sure what to make of Phil Neville's comment last night that she's "a far better full back than I ever was".

But that doesn't necessaily mean that in terms of respect and coverage it shouldn't be treated equally. You could argue that at the moment it has a way to go before it actually justifies that in terms of quality, because it is basically a minority sport with minimal investment compared to the men's game. But I think there is huge scope for development and improvement.

I see no reason why the technical qualiy of women's football could not in time be equal to men's. And it's a bit chicken and egg; without the media attention that won't happen. So, I'm happy to see it being given all this coverage and hope it continues.

As for name calling on the forum... I hear you

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I agree that it's not the same as the men's game. I wasn't sure what to make of Phil Neville's comment last night that she's "a far better full back than I ever was".

But that doesn't necessaily mean that in terms of respect and coverage it shouldn't be treated equally. You could argue that at the moment it has a way to go before it actually justifies that in terms of quality, because it is basically a minority sport with minimal investment compared to the men's game. But I think there is huge scope for development and improvement.

I see no reason why the technical qualiy of women's football could not in time be equal to men's. And it's a bit chicken and egg; without the media attention that won't happen. So, I'm happy to see it being given all this coverage and hope it continues.

Going to be honest  here... sorry it's a slow day for me... :-)

its absolutely dreadful and a total waste of money plus it’s being forced down our throats , let’s get one thing straight here , the  reason it’s getting totally out of hand is because it’s massively funded by government bodies , councils, lottery funding , there’s numerous funding sources , that’s why clubs jump all over it to get the finance 

I guarantee if you asked the coaches at clubs who have no clue on funding etc they would say to bin the woman’s football as it’s waste of time 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I respect your ability to put forward a reasoned argument instead of just saying 'you're stupid' or 'you're an arse' but unfortunately we may have to agree to differ slightly.

Women's football will improve greatly in technical quality and will be able to offer a form of pure football. At the moment any entertainment in their game comes largely from the amount of errors allowing lots of chances and you could say the men's game is so coached and rigid that much entertainment has been lost.

However no amount of coverage will allow women to match the physicality or pace of the men's game and the whole reason you go to Firhill or watch footie on tv is to watch a contact sport being played out alongside a technically gifted game.

Whether it's right or wrong the main thing that gets you out of your seat on a Saturday afternoon is two teams physically challenging each other. The yellow and red cards the off the ball stuff the 'atmosphere' generated off the pitch.

Anyway as with everything if you enjoy it watch it. If not don't but it shouldn't be forced on people.

1 hour ago, Bobbyhouston said:

its absolutely dreadful and a total waste of money plus it’s being forced down our throats , let’s get one thing straight here , the  reason it’s getting totally out of hand is because it’s massively funded by government bodies , councils, lottery funding , there’s numerous funding sources , that’s why clubs jump all over it to get the finance 

I guarantee if you asked the coaches at clubs who have no clue on funding etc they would say to bin the woman’s football as it’s waste of time 

Ask the person who's tied you to a chaitr in front of the TV to please let you go.

Ask coaches at English Premier clubs and I'm sure they would say bin the Scottish game as it's a waste of time. Under 10's football is rubbish to watch (unless you're a father of a player). So should we bin that?

1 hour ago, Legs Like A Spider said:

I respect your ability to put forward a reasoned argument instead of just saying 'you're stupid' or 'you're an arse' but unfortunately we may have to agree to differ slightly.

Women's football will improve greatly in technical quality and will be able to offer a form of pure football. At the moment any entertainment in their game comes largely from the amount of errors allowing lots of chances and you could say the men's game is so coached and rigid that much entertainment has been lost.

However no amount of coverage will allow women to match the physicality or pace of the men's game and the whole reason you go to Firhill or watch footie on tv is to watch a contact sport being played out alongside a technically gifted game.

Whether it's right or wrong the main thing that gets you out of your seat on a Saturday afternoon is two teams physically challenging each other. The yellow and red cards the off the ball stuff the 'atmosphere' generated off the pitch.

Anyway as with everything if you enjoy it watch it. If not don't but it shouldn't be forced on people.

Disagree (partly) with your opinion of the game, but it's your opinion and that's cool.

You're an arse. :D:thumbsup2:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobbyhouston said:

Yeah but the girls who play it wouldn't say that. And isn't that who the funding is there to support? It's not for you.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

Ask the person who's tied you to a chaitr in front of the TV to please let you go.

Ask coaches at English Premier clubs and I'm sure they would say bin the Scottish game as it's a waste of time. Under 10's football is rubbish to watch (unless you're a father of a player). So should we bin that?

Men/boys football should not be drained of cash to accommodate females , it’s really that simple and my opinion 

• Downvote 4

1 hour ago, scotty said:

So your objections ARE gender specific. I'm sure the's a name for that.

They want to run about playing football get them to self fund , too much money and resource wasted when it could be used for improving grassroots football . Any wonder why we can’t develop young players to be exceptional professionals representing our country 

• Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bobbyhouston said:

They want to run about playing football get them to self fund , too much money and resource wasted when it could be used for improving grassroots football . Any wonder why we can’t develop young players to be exceptional professionals representing our country 

<< gasp >>

2 hours ago, Bobbyhouston said:

If you want a definition of misogyny, here it is.

This is shite of the highest order. This country can't produce 'exceptional professionals'  because money is spent on the women's game?! What a load of absolute tosh.

I don't know who you are, pal, apart from the fact that you appeared on this forum to tell us that the academy was about to be scrapped.  You hadn't a clue about that and your view on this is just as wrongheaded.

I've read some nonsense on here, but not much as stupid and offensive as this.

Sport should be for everybody. Your gender, race, religion or sexuality has nothing to do with it. Even your ability or disability should not stop you, Young Robert played wheelchair football, which is not for the faint hearted. It wasn't unusual for wheelchairs to go flying as 2 players went in for crunching tackles and I mean crunching. The teams were mixed with males and females. I notice that Muirfield golf club has finally lifted their ban of not allowing female members. Of course being told they would not be allowed to host any British open tournaments as long as the no female rule was in place might have helped change their minds, against a rule that was in place for more than 270 years. Like everything on the TV if you don't like it, change the channel or switch it of.  

• Like 4