Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

34 minutes ago, allyo said:

They were. And they grew on me when they started having Twitter fights with the "president" 

I'm afraid I felt that the tournament was spoiled by VAR. 

Agreed. Some ridiculous penalty decisions. And some suspiciously selective use of VAR.... e.g., what looked like a blatant hand-to-ball on normal tv not even deemed worthy of VAR by the refereeing team. 

Edited by Jaggernaut

21 minutes ago, scotty said:

The talk on TV yesterday was about having the women's teams, in England, playing concurrently with the men's teams. Could we do that with Thistle Women's team?

Not sure that's right.  I think they were talking about playing one after the other.

5 hours ago, MonehJags said:

How does the woman's side work, as in, does money from our season tickets fund it, or is it a separate entity? 

Not sure the answer to that, but for anyone interested in going along to see our womans side then half season tickets now available.

https://ptfc.co.uk/ptfc-news/partick-thistle-womens-football-club-half-season-tickets-available-to-purchase/

I do get a good chuckle, 2 months ago nobody would open their blinds if the women were playing football in their gardens. Now the media have hyped it up so much that everyone feels the need to support them. This world is so weak and media led it is sad. But then again no doubt i will be a dinosaur mysogynist because i go against popular opinion. Womens fitba has become the equivelant of big brother and love island, media says do and public says yes master!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I do get a good chuckle, 2 months ago nobody would open their blinds if the women were playing football in their gardens. Now the media have hyped it up so much that everyone feels the need to support them. This world is so weak and media led it is sad. But then again no doubt i will be a dinosaur mysogynist because i go against popular opinion. Womens fitba has become the equivelant of big brother and love island, media says do and public says yes master!

Why are you getting so upset about what other people decide to watch or do ?

8 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I'm not sure if woman's football in Scotland will 'take off' in the way Gianni Infantino appears to see the future of women's  football in France.

“Now women’s players can find a club within 15km of their homes. Thanks to this tournament we are now identifying new directors and managers, new women coaches are coming into the game and we’re going to be able to step up the number of women referees. I’d like to conclude by saying the greatest happiness that I see is the excellent quality of the games. These women’s players have gone beyond every limit. Nothing will be the same again.”

I think the women's leagues generally (and PTWFC in particular) will be watching closely to see if the interest generated by the tournament in France carries on into this season's SWPL2.

Where I think there will be issues is on wage parity …. if the woman's game can generate the same fan base and draw the same crowds as the men's game, then they will be paid the same as the men, conversely if they don't, they wont.

Perhaps if SKY pick-up the woman's game, show it on TV as part of their 'saturation' [5 games in one day sort of thing] coverage perhaps the interest generated by the WWC will be continued and the fan base will grow, but if woman's football does not have media help, I am not sure it could be self financing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Give yourself a big pat on the back for being such an iconoclast.

21 hours ago, Pinhead said:

HaHa! Well said Pinhead. Brave man raising your head above the parapet.  I think you’ll find womens football is not up for discussion on this forum. I tried.

I assume the half-season tickets for the womens team are going like hot cakes cause all the guys who spend their life on here criticising the mens game will not allow any comparisons to be made. I assume they are all weekly attendees at women's football.

The media and the establishment are successfully forcing it down our throats. I really don’t see how it is insulting to women to say they don’t play a physical contact sport as well as men!! The BBC website is almost unusable as you try and find mens football news amonsgst the womens teams using the same club names!!!

It’s pathetic when you see VVD standing there after picking up his PFA player of the year trophy in England. Mentally and physically he has been put through the mill week after week against teams like Barcelona and in front of crowds of 100,000 and beside him is some lassie nobody has ever heard of picking up a trophy the BBC seem to think is equivalent. It’s embarrassing.

Women should play football but it's a different game. and shouldn't be sold by the media as the same.

Oh! Oh!  here it comes……'if the bbc say it, it must be right...…. you're a stupid misogynistic arse!'