Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

The clarification about goalkeepers positioning at penalities is dreadful. We'll now see 100% of penalties scored. I agree many goalkeepers have taken the piss, but this is something a ref should be able to see anyway without the need of VAR.

7 minutes ago, twinny said:

The clarification about goalkeepers positioning at penalities is dreadful. We'll now see 100% of penalties scored. I agree many goalkeepers have taken the piss, but this is something a ref should be able to see anyway without the need of VAR.

Once again there will be inconsistent decisions . Where there is VAR at games everything will be given, where there is no VAR it will be down to the inconsistent referee's. For example, Doolan's goal against Morton.

If this VAR/penalties nonsense ever comes to pass in oor wee leagues you could see keepers getting 2 yellow cards at a re-taken penalty and being sent off and matches (in August) finishing in darkness.  There was a ref in England quite a few years ago who explained that he never watched the taker.  He always had his eyes on the keeper and relied on hearing the ball being kicked to judge when the keeper could move.  Love them or loathe them referees are gradually throwing away their authority.  I just wish more of them would watch the TV replay then have the courage of their convictions to decline the VAR officials' "invitation" to reconsider a decision.  I'm sure if you nip over to FIFA HQ in Zurich you'll find a door (a big door) with a sign saying "Department for coming up with changes that will help destroy the game".    (The Argentina left back had at least three blatant foul throws last night.  One would have graced a netball court!)

11 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Thank **** there's no VAR at PTFC games. Id chuck it - absolutely killing the game. 5 minutes of endless replays before making your mind up?

Thing is it's here to stay. I'm no Nostradamus but like all technology it'll become cheaper and more available.

I personally think that in the near future there has to be a cut off level not based solely on commercial & practicality judgement. As it is folk leave grounds early or asap after the whistle to catch trains etc. Delays thru VAR could lose fans. Whereas I can't believe VAR would attract any new fans.

1 hour ago, a f kincaid said:

If this VAR/penalties nonsense ever comes to pass in oor wee leagues you could see keepers getting 2 yellow cards at a re-taken penalty and being sent off and matches (in August) finishing in darkness.  There was a ref in England quite a few years ago who explained that he never watched the taker.  He always had his eyes on the keeper and relied on hearing the ball being kicked to judge when the keeper could move.  Love them or loathe them referees are gradually throwing away their authority.  I just wish more of them would watch the TV replay then have the courage of their convictions to decline the VAR officials' "invitation" to reconsider a decision.  I'm sure if you nip over to FIFA HQ in Zurich you'll find a door (a big door) with a sign saying "Department for coming up with changes that will help destroy the game".    (The Argentina left back had at least three blatant foul throws last night.  One would have graced a netball court!)

Cant disagree with anything you say here, the referee seemed to allow far too many fouls without giving a free kick or caution, eventually we had stages of play that were simply a 'kick fest' and Argentina are better at that sort of play than the Scotland ladies

I genuinely think VAR could be the beginning of the end for the game of football as we know it, I for one am not interested in watching this forensic examination of footballing 'incidents'. If it comes into the Scottish game and is applied to our game anything like we have witnessed in the past week, I will find another way  to spend my Saturdays.

Lastly … I had a strange feeling when Argentina scored the first of their goals last night, I thought of PTFC v Ross County. Same sort of scenario, lose the momentum, the discipline and your game goes to ratshyte.

• Like 1

My feeling is that, if VAR is able to stop and review a game after the ref has clearly signaled no penalty, then we can dispense with on-field referees.

What is the point when their decisions can be review retrospectively?

I can see value where the ref him/herself needs assistance in a critical decision, but the game should not be brought back.

One aspect of the game that could easily and accurately  be controlled off-field is the time-keeping.

The ref appeared not to add the full time taken for the penalty nonsense at the end.

Frustrated by people in football saying they are in favour of VAR and it's just interpretation that is the problem. Strictly speaking the decision on Lee Alexander being off the line was probably correct. That's not the point. It's this forensic examination, the view that the correct decision is always more important than the game itself,  that has opened up a can of Pandora's worms. And unfortunately I can't see it going back the way.

4 hours ago, allyo said:

Frustrated by people in football saying they are in favour of VAR 

Out the country at the moment and don't know the specific. In general folk that watch football solely on TV may well favour VAR. The TV companies and those reliant on getting a wage thru TV may well favour it likewise. Think you'll see where I'm going with that and how I reckon who'll be the ones that will force the issue.

It was actually Rachel Corsie I heard this morning defending VAR as a concept.

The trouble I think is that the people inside of football, players, managers, pundits, administrators, understandably think that football is the most important thing in the world.

But they have to recognise that if they take all the enjoyment out of the game in favour of 100% detailed accuracy they will turn the rest of us away.

Just watched the USA score a goal which should have been given offside.  They put VAR on it and the replay clearly showed a US player, offside, attempting to get a header on a ball in the box.  Too high and it goes past to another US player who belts it into the net.  That is not the rule.  They seem to be  rewriting the offside rule these days without actually have any official discussion about it.  If you're in the box, trying to get on the end of a cross or through ball, it shouldn't matter if you make contact or miss it by a mile.  The intent is there and it should be offside.  Defenders are all over the place trying to get to the offside player so even if they don't get the ball they are affecting the play.

EDIT:  Just saw them replay that goal again in a play lull.  There's a touch by a defender which seems to be the excuse but I still don't see how it's not offside.  The defender feels she has to touch the ball to prevent the forward (who was offside) getting it. Surely that makes it even more a definite offside?

Edited by Mr Bunny

6 hours ago, Mr Bunny said:

Just watched the USA score a goal which should have been given offside.  They put VAR on it and the replay clearly showed a US player, offside, attempting to get a header on a ball in the box.  Too high and it goes past to another US player who belts it into the net.  That is not the rule.  They seem to be  rewriting the offside rule these days without actually have any official discussion about it.  If you're in the box, trying to get on the end of a cross or through ball, it shouldn't matter if you make contact or miss it by a mile.  The intent is there and it should be offside.  Defenders are all over the place trying to get to the offside player so even if they don't get the ball they are affecting the play.

EDIT:  Just saw them replay that goal again in a play lull.  There's a touch by a defender which seems to be the excuse but I still don't see how it's not offside.  The defender feels she has to touch the ball to prevent the forward (who was offside) getting it. Surely that makes it even more a definite offside?

Totally agree. In the past the phrase that mattered was "interfering with play". If someone in an offside position attempts to reach the ball then he/she is offside. I think Bill Shankly might have been quoted as saying something along the lines of "If he's no' interfering with play then he'll no' play for this club".

The poster above who said they were less and less concerned with fans actually at a match and doing things solely for the TV audience (who sitting comfy having a beer in pub or home are less concerned about time) .   VAR should be limited in its use and changes made to make its use much quicker.  If not football will turn out like American football where 60 minutes games last three or four hours. 

12 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

Listening to the radio this evening. Help me with a couple of things. What is 'The Transition'? Where is ones 'Back Shoulder'?

The first is supported by our new away strip.

The second I think is a cut of bacon.

This morning I heard someone reporting on the heatwave referring to "the tip of the sphere". This stuff isn't limited to football pundits.

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1