Women's World Cup

Jaggernaut

22 hours ago, Pinhead said:

I do get a good chuckle, 2 months ago nobody would open their blinds if the women were playing football in their gardens. Now the media have hyped it up so much that everyone feels the need to support them. This world is so weak and media led it is sad. But then again no doubt i will be a dinosaur mysogynist because i go against popular opinion. Womens fitba has become the equivelant of big brother and love island, media says do and public says yes master!

Not getting into a debate about how good the game is or whether it's worth watching etc., but maybe a symptom of ours and Scotlands' lack of success in unearthing the great players of yesteryear, has something to do with our attitude.

I worked and played football in Germany many years ago and still have good friends there, that love and coach football.

For as long as I can remember, they've spoken about women's football and praised certain players during conversation. They talk about all football in the same way that they talk about their great National and Bundesliga teams.

Football covers the whole spectrum from infant to adult and male and female and their infrastructure is set up for footballing success for all.

We on the other hand, focus on males within a very narrow age group.

We're trying to land on a pinhead, and unearth the next 'gem',  instead of embedding a format that sets us up for relative success at every level and for all genders and people.

Anyone arguing over whether or not the standard of women's football is good enough to watch, is completely missing the point.

Unless we change how we treat the game itself, it will barely be worth watching any football in years to come.

17 hours ago, Pinhead said:

Not getting upset, just find it hilarious that people are so easily lead until the next thing comes along and they follow - here sheepy sheepy

But why fixate about that in the context of Women's football? It is the same for the men's game also, and always has been. I remember back in the Eighties, football had a bad rap (which the media fueled) and interest in the game fell greatly. Then in the early nineties, football became fashionable- a largely media led phenomena (particularly Sky and by extension the Murdoch press who had a lot riding on the success of the EPL). Soon after that,  (men's) football was "forced down our throats" (as another poster puts it), to the extent of the football saturation we have now. I mean, back in the eighties, virtually no one cared about the Spanish or German leagues in the UK- now everyone seems obsessed with el Classico or whatever- with it being shown live and covered in detail on the BBC website. I suspect you're just as "sheepy" as the rest of us.

While I'm sure we are all somewhat susceptible to media led hype, I personally don't watch TV other than streaming services, and very little non-Thistle football other than major tournaments (men's and women's). I enjoyed this World Cup. I've never seen a second of Love Island or Big Brother, however.

I also disagree with the idea that the Women's game is a different game. It is the same game; though whether the quality or physicality is the same is a different consideration.  But following football is little about quality otherwise we'd all be Barca/liverpool/Man City fans. Essentially, we choose to spend our hard-earned on Thistle for football entertainment, so are clearly not arbiters of quality. Watching Liverpool and then Thistle (and then say Albion Rovers), you'd be mistaken for thinking they are all playing a different game. But they aren't of course, they're just playing the game at a different quality and/or physicality. 

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
correct typo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Watching Liverpool and then Thistle (and then say Albion Rovers), you'd be mistaken for thinking they are all playing a different game. But they aren't of course, they're just playing the game at a different quality and/or physicality. 

Just watching Miles Storey and you could easily be convinced you're watching a different game. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

But why fixate about that in the context of Women's football? It is the same for the men's game also, and always has been. I remember back in the Eighties, football had a bad rap (which the media fueled) and interest in the game fell greatly. Then in the early nineties, football became fashionable- a largely media led phenomena (particularly Sky and by extension the Murdoch press who had a lot riding on the success of the EPL). Soon after that,  (men's) football was "forced down our throats" (as another poster puts it), to the extent of the football saturation we have now. I mean, back in the eighties, virtually no one cared about the Spanish or German leagues in the UK- now everyone seems obsessed with el Classico or whatever- with it being shown live and covered in detail on the BBC website. I suspect you're just as "sheepy" as the rest of us.

While I'm sure we are all somewhat susceptible to media led hype, I personally don't watch TV other than streaming services, and very little non-Thistle football other than major tournaments (men's and women's). I enjoyed this World Cup. I've never seen a second of Love Island or Big Brother, however.

I also disagree with the idea that the Women's game is a different game. It is the same game; though whether the quality or physicality is the same is a different consideration.  But following football is little about quality otherwise we'd all be Barca/liverpool/Man City fans. Essentially, we choose to spend our hard-earned on Thistle for football entertainment, so are clearly not arbiters of quality. Watching Liverpool and then Thistle (and then say Albion Rovers), you'd be mistaken for thinking they are all playing a different game. But they aren't of course, they're just playing the game at a different quality and/or physicality. 

Because that is what this thread is about, in a few months it will all be forgotten about again.

14 hours ago, Duke Gekantawa said:

Yeah good post. Too many bigger and more interesting things going on to get too involved but while I don't agree with everything you say you make good points. Still think there is too much media indoctrination ( why do we now have a sportscene studio full of women commenting on the mens game ?? ) but you provide a good balanced view of the where you see women's football -something a lot of other posters struggled to do.

My tuppence worth is I found the tournament entertaining, nowhere near the standard of the men’s game, but entertainment wise was better than a lot of games I’ve seen at Firhill (or Hampden), VAR though spoilt parts of it.

Of course the media flogged it to death, but they are trying to boost there viewers 

On 10 July 2019 at 11:07 PM, Legs Like A Spider said:

HaHa! Well said Pinhead. Brave man raising your head above the parapet.  I think you’ll find womens football is not up for discussion on this forum. I tried.

I assume the half-season tickets for the womens team are going like hot cakes cause all the guys who spend their life on here criticising the mens game will not allow any comparisons to be made. I assume they are all weekly attendees at women's football.

The media and the establishment are successfully forcing it down our throats. I really don’t see how it is insulting to women to say they don’t play a physical contact sport as well as men!! The BBC website is almost unusable as you try and find mens football news amonsgst the womens teams using the same club names!!!

It’s pathetic when you see VVD standing there after picking up his PFA player of the year trophy in England. Mentally and physically he has been put through the mill week after week against teams like Barcelona and in front of crowds of 100,000 and beside him is some lassie nobody has ever heard of picking up a trophy the BBC seem to think is equivalent. It’s embarrassing.

Women should play football but it's a different game. and shouldn't be sold by the media as the same.

Oh! Oh!  here it comes……'if the bbc say it, it must be right...…. you're a stupid misogynistic arse!'

You actually are a stupid misogynistic arse.

I unfortunately share the view that the world is pathetically media led. I also however think that anyone who looks at the world and all its serious problems, and the extent to which it is pathetically media led, and thinks that women's football is in any way a part of the problem...

is a "stupid misogynistic arse".

Edited by allyo
  • Like 1