Fixtures out this coming Friday

21 minutes ago, Prince of Partick said:

Hope we get Dungdee Utd at home, big crowd,  great atmosphere and continue where we finished last year in Dumfries.

Let's all get behind the team, the manager, the CEO and the board.

We are Thistle, lets forget all the negativity and hopefully have a great season.

Eh? No negativity? What am I going to do?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Both our first and last games were away in the season that’s just finished so surely we will get one of these games at home 

the same the season before (apart from play off) so it doesn't seem to matter, but it does seem unfair

Two years ago many posters made an issue that the first five fixtures were a disadvantage to our survival as though it was some kind of conspiracy (Hibs away and Celtic at home for starters).

That turned out to be a self-fulfilling loser's mentality (although Archie was probably more complicit in that, all things considered).

All teams have to be faced four times, so the order is a non-issue, especially considering that the order changes every quarter anyway.

What matters is having an assembled and prepared squad and the correct mentality going into the season. 

The way the fixtures fall are not an issue. They are a fact of life that individual clubs have no influence over.

Apart from the two that Sky rely upon for subscriptions to their Main Event 'service', of course.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Two years ago many posters made an issue that the first five fixtures were a disadvantage to our survival as though it was some kind of conspiracy (Hibs away and Celtic at home for starters).

That turned out to be a self-fulfilling loser's mentality (although Archie was probably more complicit in that, all things considered).

All teams have to be faced four times, so the order is a non-issue, especially considering that the order changes every quarter anyway.

What matters is having an assembled and prepared squad and the correct mentality going into the season. 

The way the fixtures fall are not an issue. They are a fact of life that individual clubs have no influence over.

Apart from the two that Sky rely upon for subscriptions to their Main Event 'service', of course.

There is a financial side to it too, though. First game of the season tends to attract a higher than normal attendance. Don’t think that applies for the 2nd game of the season.

6 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

There is a financial side to it too, though. First game of the season tends to attract a higher than normal attendance. Don’t think that applies for the 2nd game of the season.

That wasn't my point at all LJ.

However, taking your point at face value, how does the second fixture of there season against Celtic count as a less attractive fixture financially than Hibs away, given that it was live on telly, and our own fans were shifted all over the place by our Board to maximise revenue?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

That wasn't my point at all LJ.

However, taking your point at face value, how does the second fixture of there season against Celtic count as a less attractive fixture financially than Hibs away, given that it was live on telly, and our own fans were shifted all over the place by our Board to maximise revenue?

Sorry, I thought your point was that it doesn’t matter who we play when - we need to play everybody 4 times and we need to be ready for every game ? 

I was adding another aspect to the discussion. 

I think you need to exclude Celtic and Rangers from the general rule as they will sell out their allocation every game. 

Generally, though, I think 1st game anticipation brings out more supporters, then reality sets in.

Pretty sure the fixtures will be designed, as always, to put us on the back foot as early as possible.

Among the first 5 fixtures will be Dundee Utd at home and Dundee and Inverness away.

Also imagine Morton away or something similar.

Maybe I'll be surprised? Who knows.

On 6/16/2019 at 4:13 PM, Barney Rubble said:

One was me, as I think the order the fixtures fall makes a massive difference.