Fixtures out this coming Friday

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

No doubt we need new players who can score goals. I would never downplay what Doolan did for Thistle but last year by his very high standards he only scored 6 league goals, 3 in the second half of the season. Spittal  scored 8 goals and only 2 were in the second half. We need somebody like Macdonald who scored 7 in 13 games.

Still 20 odd goals we’ve taken out of team to be replaced, you would only  let Dools go if you had somebody definite to replace him with , not sure if that’s the case , time will tell on that one .

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Maybe - but at the moment we are very short on players.

For sure yes, we do need to complete the forward line, but I think GC has the idea that first we become a team that is hard to beat so emphasis has been on a good defence, defensive midfield and a midfield playmaker who can provide good the good 'outball' …  when he has that part of the team fixed, I hope he can find a good replacement for a McDonald type of player.

Dools should never have been let go, irrespective of his poor goal return (by his standards) last season.

Strikers' play is about way more than goalscoring these days, and Dools offered plenty in that regard.

I was pleased when GC kept us up and was vocal on this site as to why he should be given every opportunity to have a go at this season with his own team.

Two days later we get the most ham-fisted, poorly handled, idiotic release of a player who has every right to expect his loyalty to be respected. 

And since then? Promises and nothing delivered. Mansell is discounted from this debate.

OK, I'll say it, why don't the club go back to Kris and offer him a one year deal. Kris Boyd has packed it in, Scott McDonald  has decided he's got other options, and the 40 year old Kenny Miller is a laughable alternative to a 32 year old who still has goals in him with the appropriate level of service.

Nothing wrong with admitting you got it wrong Gary.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Dools should never have been let go, irrespective of his poor goal return (by his standards) last season.

Strikers' play is about way more than goalscoring these days, and Dools offered plenty in that regard.

I was pleased when GC kept us up and was vocal on this site as to why he should be given every opportunity to have a go at this season with his own team.

Two days later we get the most ham-fisted, poorly handled, idiotic release of a player who has every right to expect his loyalty to be respected. 

And since then? Promises and nothing delivered. Mansell is discounted from this debate.

OK, I'll say it, why don't the club go back to Kris and offer him a one year deal. Kris Boyd has packed it in, Scott McDonald  has decided he's got other options, and the 40 year old Kenny Miller is a laughable alternative to a 32 year old who still has goals in him with the appropriate level of service.

Nothing wrong with admitting you got it wrong Gary.

I suspect that eating humble pie is not in the Caldwell psyche, but if the potential new owners decide to "refresh" the management team, could Doolan re-appear as an option? 

Kris Doolan was shite last season and he was shite the season before.

This constant harping on about him is really beginning to take the shine off what he DID achieve in his time at the club.

It was time for him to move on and it's past time for his worshippers to move on too.

Re-signing Doolan would be ridiculous. Not because it would be admitting an error, but because we need better.

37 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

This constant harping on about him is really beginning to take the shine off what he DID achieve in his time at the club.

It was time for him to move on and it's past time for his worshippers to move on too.

Re-signing Doolan would be ridiculous. Not because it would be admitting an error, but because we need better.

Bollocks.

Kris Doolan was never shite.

He has his sell-by date - all players do.

Kris was still good for a couple of years for Partick Thistle, 

That much is obvious.

I do agree we need better, but why shoot yourself in the foot?

Getting rid of KD is all about GC's ego.

I've lost any respect I had for for Gerry Britton over this issue - It should never have happened at all.

• Downvote 2

48 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

We do need someone better than Doolan of the last 2 seasons.  At the moment we don’t have that person. We should have kept him for this coming season.

• Like 1

I'd hoped Doolan would see out his playing career with us, making occasional appeances and moving into a coaching role. That view was based solely on sentiment. He's given us so many brilliant moments, over so many years, it's a view most Thistle fans share. But it's sentiment. The last two seasons is the player he is now.

He's not the player we need moving forward. 

6 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

I'd hoped Doolan would see out his playing career with us, making occasional appeances and moving into a coaching role. That view was based solely on sentiment. He's given us so many brilliant moments, over so many years, it's a view most Thistle fans share. But it's sentiment. The last two seasons is the player he is now.

He's not the player we need moving forward. 

Not too much that I disagree with there Firhillista.

But it still begs the question - who do you replace KD with?

3 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Not too much that I disagree with there Firhillista.

But it still begs the question - who do you replace KD with?

Well, it won't be Mansell, at least not on his own. We'll see who Caldwell brings in over the next two weeks. I suspect we'll see an experienced striker - Brian Graham possibly - and someone on loan. And maybe a punt on someone - maybe the lad Sam Scrivens.

1 hour ago, Firhillista said:

Well, it won't be Mansell, at least not on his own. We'll see who Caldwell brings in over the next two weeks. I suspect we'll see an experienced striker - Brian Graham possibly - and someone on loan. And maybe a punt on someone - maybe the lad Sam Scrivens.

I'd hope for better than that. Graham is okay as a target man but I'd still take Doolan over him, imo.

Surprised nobody around our level has taken a punt on Kris yet, tbh. 

31 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I'd hope for better than that. Graham is okay as a target man but I'd still take Doolan over him, imo.

Surprised nobody around our level has taken a punt on Kris yet, tbh. 

Graham scored 14 goals for County last season. When was the last time Doolan got close to that kind of figure? Maybe there's a reason no other team has gone for Kris yet. If you look on P&B, no one is particularly keen to see him sign on.

39 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

Graham scored 14 goals for County last season. When was the last time Doolan got close to that kind of figure? Maybe there's a reason no other team has gone for Kris yet. If you look on P&B, no one is particularly keen to see him sign on.

Probably I'm biased because the big man keeps knocking us back :lol:

ETA: Looks like he could be signing for Ayr on Monday.

Edited by jagfox

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 1:29 PM, Lenziejag said:

People said that about Alloa and Ayr last season and very few would have  had us going into the last game needing at least a point to avoid the relegation playoff spot.

I remain (and hope) to be convinced that we wont be doing something similar this year.