New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

The more I read about this, the more I think it's true. Concerning times. I hate the modern comodification of football where the game just becomes another arena for the rich to exercise their money. Manchester City are anathema to me. Having said all that, it is what it is and if this is happening to Thistle then the consortium involved seem probably the best of the bunch. They don't throw cash around for a quick fix. They go for long term stability and sustainable growth. I doubt we'll see huge changes in the short term on the football front, but those who hate Jacqui Low will almost certainly get their wish to see her gone. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Firhillista said:

The more I read about this, the more I think it's true. Concerning times. I hate the modern comodification of football where the game just becomes another arena for the rich to exercise their money. Manchester City are anathema to me. Having said all that, it is what it is and if this is happening to Thistle then the consortium involved seem probably the best of the bunch. They don't throw cash around for a quick fix. They go for long term stability and sustainable growth. I doubt we'll see huge changes in the short term on the football front, but those who hate Jacqui Low will almost certainly get their wish to see her gone. 

I tend to agree ....I’m told by those who know more than me that the daily mail reporters are usually on the money 

14 minutes ago, Jag said:

Definitely happening DD.

What I'm not convinced about is the supposed cull that is about to go with it. Everybody out.

Including the fans. The latest rumour I'm about to start is that the latest Euromillions winner is a forum member who has taken a lot of flak on here over the past few months and has subsequently had to stop posting for a while.  ^_^

This is a bit surreal. Going by what has happened at Nice and Barnsley on the field they have improved things. Of course we are always suspicious of any takeover, particularly people who have no real connection to the club, but I would be doubtful as if this is for asset stripping( there are bigger fish they could fry). Whatever the outcome, this forum is definitely alive this summer.

1 minute ago, Garscube Road End said:

This is a bit surreal. Going by what has happened at Nice and Barnsley on the field they have improved things. Of course we are always suspicious of any takeover, particularly people who have no real connection to the club, but I would be doubtful as if this is for asset stripping( there are bigger fish they could fry). Whatever the outcome, this forum is definitely alive this summer.

We don’t really have any assets !

49 minutes ago, Jag said:

Definitely happening DD.

What I'm not convinced about is the supposed cull that is about to go with it. Everybody out.

That would probably include me. I have no interest in following a millionaires play toy. As said earlier, I hate what Chelsea, City and others have done to English Football.

That said, I had my doubts when The Weirs got involved, but they didn’t significantly change the ethos of the club, at least on the field and didn’t start splashing cash on Billy Bigtime players.

Worrying times for me

1 minute ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That would probably include me. I have no interest in following a millionaires play toy. As said earlier, I hate what Chelsea, City and others have done to English Football.

That said, I had my doubts when The Weirs got involved, but they didn’t significantly change the ethos of the club, at least on the field and didn’t start splashing cash on Billy Bigtime players.

Worrying times for me

Let’s wait and see 

17 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

Agree with this. Who knows what his motives are ( assuming it does actually happen ) but it's pretty clear that the club is struggling financially so any new investment has to be welcomed, with the usual due diligence having being carried out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dl1971 said:

Agree with this. Who knows what his motives are ( assuming it does actually happen ) but it's pretty clear that the club is struggling financially so any new investment has to be welcomed, with the usual due diligence having being carried out.

I agree ....it will be good to have a management that actually own shares in the club !

30 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

But our current Board dont really have a connection to the Club - nor any shares - nor have invested - so where is the difference -apart from the real possibilty of some success- we are dying anyway - so why not ?  

8 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

But our current Board dont really have a connection to the Club - nor any shares - nor have invested - so where is the difference -apart from the real possibilty of some success- we are dying anyway - so why not ?  

There is a connection via the Weirs. But I get what you are saying. 

9 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

There is a connection via the Weirs. But I get what you are saying. 

I always worry when the management of a business don’t have any shares in it .....the temptation is they start doing things for themselves and no what’s in the shareholders interest

18 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I always worry when the management of a business don’t have any shares in it .....the temptation is they start doing things for themselves and no what’s in the shareholders interest

Agreed - if its your money your spending or you have invested Money it becomes real  

• Administrators
37 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Indeed, what is the difference? 

Why would one be something to be concerned about and the other something to be welcomed? 

Unless we are working on the basis of get the current BoD out and replace them with whatever the hell is out there. That's reckless thinking. 

Investment is great providing there is a sustainable business plan behind it. I assume the same level of scrutiny will be demanded of any future inward investment that is demanded of the Weir's money?

Anyway, right now all that has happened is that The Daily Mail have cobbled together social media speculation and other media outlets have simply reported what The Daily Mail reported. 

We know nothing more substantive now than we did this time yesterday. Unless anyone knows differently and cares to share further. 

45 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Partick Thistle is not dying. This is pure hyperbole from someone who appears to have an irrational hatred of the current board.

You said yesterday that we're currently a plaything, but neglected to confirm who you believe is toying with us. What would we be to a foreign billionaire other than that?

14 minutes ago, admin said:

Anyway, right now all that has happened is that The Daily Mail have cobbled together social media speculation and other media outlets have simply reported what The Daily Mail reported.

The DM article says they have their own sources and their track record is pretty good

i suspect if there was nothing in it the club would have said something by now 

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Worrying times for me

What ethos is that? Mediocre up and down cuddly toy losers? Would it really be that bad if we started winning major cups or even just seeing a quality footballer back in the red and yellow? After all these years supporting Thistle, a little bit of success is the least us suffering fans deserve. There is no guarantee that this supposed takeover would bring any success, but we can all dream.

• Like 2

• admin locked this topic