New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

24 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Really ? So no other fan is commenting on this 

You have accused me of spreading rumours about a takeover - well thats not true-  as other people had posted it before I commented - you accused me of of acting in Concert with a "Consortium " for personal gain - well thats not true - your accusing me of discussing the finances as a Whispering Campaign - whereas Ive stated lots of times publicly about the Finances - but here is the thing - any takeover has nada to do with me - of course Im going to comment - so has halve the Fan base  BUT the pulling together of any takeover bid - being involved in it - your barking up the wrong tree mate - and who exactly Im I spinning the pot to  ? any takeover either will or wont happen the 55% shareholders have acted in concert - thats unprecedented-  so you may want to ask what motivated them - to a Man they are long term supporters of Thistle - most of them put up there own cash -but rather than ask the serious question as to why they have taken this decision ( assuming they have ) you seem intent on attacking me ?  I didnt influence anything on any level - I may agree with things - Ive spoken to a few of them over the last 12 Months - but I suggest you shut up - as Im not part of the takeover-  nor orchestrating a campaign on there behalf - which is what your implying - go ask yourself - if you believe there is a consortium of Shareholders - WHY are the doing this ? 

Is one of the shareholders not Tom Hughes and Alan Cowan? I find it ironic they have the nerve to complain about the running of the club considering we had to sell Gary Harkins to Dundee to keep ourselves in existence during their time

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Is one of the shareholders not Tom Hughes and Alan Cowan? I find it ironic they have the nerve to complain about the running of the club considering we had to sell Gary Harkins to Dundee to keep ourselves in existence during their time

Thats a fair comment - but there are Nine if rumour is to believed 

10 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Even although it has worked so far for Nice and Barnsley ?

Barnsley were relegated under the consortium, only now are they back where they started.

Nice made 3rd, now 7th and reportedly saddled with a huge debt.

Jury very much out for me.

4 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

He's owned Barnsley for a year-and-a-half. One relegation and one promotion. Our current Chairman could have that on her CV come the end of the forthcoming season.

He bought Barnsley when they were all but mathematically relegated, he brought them straight back up. 

He also took Nice to Europe 

Just now, Norgethistle said:

He bought Barnsley when they were all but mathematically relegated, he brought them straight back up. 

He also took Nice to Europe 

He bought Barnsley in December 2017, halfway through the season.

47 minutes ago, Big Col said:

A billionaire consortium wants to buy a Scottish club and make it successful by having the right people in the boardroom and the dugout and on the pitch.

What’s not to like? Personally I’d love to see us back in the Premiership, being competitive instead of lying down to the big teams. 

But if some prefer limping along playing the likes of Alloa and Ayr then that’s their look out. I want a club with ambition, not one that celebrates mediocrity.

Not celebrating mediocrity, just don't want to end up in same mess as the clubs I mentioned.

I see no reason why a consortium like this would buy Thistle.

Financially there's no money in Scottish football, even at the top, let alone where we are.

Football-wise, we're not some renowned factory of youth talent.

In the other direction, why would you farm out youth players to learn their 'craft' in the blood, thunder and dubious coaching, facilities, conditions and officiating of the Scottish 2nd tier ?

Even if you wanted to, you don't need to buy a club to do that; and you could have bigger ones than us in the top tier for pennies.

I've not seen one of the rumour-mongers give a credible reason why this consortium would do this.

Makes me sceptical that it will happen, but stranger characters have rolled up and bought Scottish clubs in the past, so who knows.

If it does happen, makes me even more sceptical as to the motive.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think Leaving Nice saddled with huge debt is far more concerning 

I believe they borrowed 22million to pay back the money the new owners invested. If what I read is true with tv deal and selling players they have the debt covered.

1 minute ago, dunnikierjag said:

I believe they borrowed 22million to pay back the money the new owners invested. If what I read is true with tv deal and selling players they have the debt covered.

Yep, leveraged buyout like the Glazers, saddle the club with repaying the money you borrowed to buy them.

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

"the right people"

Jesus...

Do we have the right people at the moment? Are you happy with the current board’s performance? Very legitimate to have concerns about this story, but keen to have your thoughts on the current board given you seem so against this. 

Just now, KemoAvdiu said:

Do we have the right people at the moment? Are you happy with the current board’s performance? Very legitimate to have concerns about this story, but keen to have your thoughts on the current board given you seem so against this. 

I've believe that the current board have made mistakes, yes. But I'm also mindful of the fact it was their first season as custodians of the club after those that led us to relegation disappeared like sh*t off a shovel. That said, it's difficult to defend some things, like the manner of Kris Doolan's departure - see my lengthy post on his leaving thread for more on that.

What I find amusing is the claim that the the new investment would result in the "right people" occupying the boardroom, the dugout and the pitch when we know f*ck all about the potential investor.  I've posted an interesting link above, but here it is again in case you've missed it: https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/ogc-nice-chien-lee-the-mysterious-e22m-december-2018-loan/

6 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

I've believe that the current board have made mistakes, yes. But I'm also mindful of the fact it was their first season as custodians of the club after those that led us to relegation disappeared like sh*t off a shovel. That said, it's difficult to defend some things, like the manner of Kris Doolan's departure - see my lengthy post on his leaving thread for more on that.

What I find amusing is the claim that the the new investment would result in the "right people" occupying the boardroom, the dugout and the pitch when we know f*ck all about the potential investor.  I've posted an interesting link above, but here it is again in case you've missed it: https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2019/ogc-nice-chien-lee-the-mysterious-e22m-december-2018-loan/

Low had been on the board for years before taking over. I don’t think inexperience led to the mistakes, I think incompetence and I lack of natural feel for the football club did. That doesn’t mean Chien Lee is necessarily automatically a better option, but I don’t think we currently have the ‘right people’ either. 

16 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

David Beattie had wanted to step down for a while as he was spending time in Spain - so it made sense for a change when we were relegated - Greig Brown was brought in by Billy Allan to help turn things around - which he did - Him and Billy had just created an investment fund - so he had other commitments - and again had been struggling to give the time to the Club  - so whoever is feeding your stories is talking nonsense - Ive not seen a single appointment to the Board that could lace there boots 

Whatever the outcome we have a far weaker Board than we did and I dont see many people saying that we should keep it - I accept that change carries risk - but thats no justification for continuing with what we have 

The radio silence from the club on this issue can only mean it's real. Whether it goes ahead or not is something else. Time will tell. Let's hope that whatever happens, happens soon. We really don't need this hanging over us as we prepare for the new season. 

I would have expected the manager to comment on the new signing. Is it reading too much into it that he hasn't? Walked the dog up to Garscube this afternoon and the management team were there supervising a game. Didn't recognise most of the players, but that's probably just me. Ten a side, though, so a few more signings required...

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Really ? So no other fan is commenting on this 

You have accused me of spreading rumours about a takeover - well thats not true-  as other people had posted it before I commented - you accused me of of acting in Concert with a "Consortium " for personal gain - well thats not true - your accusing me of discussing the finances as a Whispering Campaign - whereas Ive stated lots of times publicly about the Finances - but here is the thing - any takeover has nada to do with me - of course Im going to comment - so has halve the Fan base  BUT the pulling together of any takeover bid - being involved in it - your barking up the wrong tree mate - and who exactly Im I spinning the pot to  ? any takeover either will or wont happen the 55% shareholders have acted in concert - thats unprecedented-  so you may want to ask what motivated them - to a Man they are long term supporters of Thistle - most of them put up there own cash -but rather than ask the serious question as to why they have taken this decision ( assuming they have ) you seem intent on attacking me ?  I didnt influence anything on any level - I may agree with things - Ive spoken to a few of them over the last 12 Months - but I suggest you shut up - as Im not part of the takeover-  nor orchestrating a campaign on there behalf - which is what your implying - go ask yourself - if you believe there is a consortium of Shareholders - WHY are the doing this ? 

I'm sorry and I don't mean to be cheeky but I struggle to follow the flow of your posts at times. 

For clarity are you saying that there are Thistle fans  involved, in some way, with the consortium and that you know who they are and have had communication with them? 

Apologises if I've picked that up incorrectly. 

• admin locked this topic