New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

10 minutes ago, admin said:

A perfect example of the kind of Spin you so vociferously decry JJ I'm afraid which doesn't really answer any of my questions. 

I'm not going to flog this to death (honestly) but I'll ask again, why ask the club to issue a statement re the rumours when you knew there was substance to the rumours? Why not just say that? 

because what I knew or didnt know wasnt the point - the Club had a duty to communicate with its Fans ?  

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

because what I knew or didnt know wasnt the point - the Club had a duty to communicate with its Fans ?  

That's pretty poor to be honest. 

I'll make this my final word on this. If a desire to try and get the club to fulfill their 'duty' you could simply have said something along the lines of 'I know there is some discussion surrounding a potential takeover. The club should, where possible, provide some clarity on the issue'. 

You were professing to not know if there was truth to the rumours. That wasn't true. 

And I'm still not sure why one party has a 'duty' to communicate and the other doesn't. 

Anyway, I'm going to try enjoy the rest of my Friday night with the house to myself. 

What annoys me is I have bought 2 season tickets to watch Partick Thistle. I am not interested in us becoming a feeder club for any team. I would like to know how long these negotiations have been going on. Surely no season tickets should have been sold until supporters knew what they were buying into.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dunnikierjag said:

What annoys me is I have bought 2 season tickets to watch Partick Thistle. I am not interested in us becoming a feeder club for any team. I would like to know how long these negotiations have been going on. Surely no season tickets should have been sold until supporters knew what they were buying into.

Well said don’t fancy us getting cast offs from these teams either 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

The more of your posts I read, the more convinced I become that, for whatever reason, you simply want rid of the current Board and are prepared to portray things in a certain way to make them look bad. That just detracts from your arguments to be honest. 

I just hope those powerful people who have potentially sold their shares, have done it for the right reasons with appropriate care, and are not doing it because of personal animosity or whatever. Absolutely no dig at anyone here implied.

57 minutes ago, admin said:

That's pretty poor to be honest. - In your Opinion 

I'll make this my final word on this. If a desire to try and get the club to fulfill their 'duty' you could simply have said something along the lines of 'I know there is some discussion surrounding a potential takeover. The club should, where possible, provide some clarity on the issue'.  - What I had been told -  Im assuming the Club also knew - so take it up with them    

You were professing to not know if there was truth to the rumours. That wasn't true.  - Nope - I had decent sources - but nothing 100% concrete 

And I'm still not sure why one party has a 'duty' to communicate and the other doesn't. - because the Club are the Official entity and until its a done deal the onus is on them to communicate if there is indeed a takeover bid 

Anyway, I'm going to try enjoy the rest of my Friday night with the house to myself. 

18 minutes ago, mad-jag said:

The more of your posts I read, the more convinced I become that, for whatever reason, you simply want rid of the current Board and are prepared to portray things in a certain way to make them look bad. That just detracts from your arguments to be honest. 

Your Opnion - which you are entitled to ...

3 hours ago, admin said:

Out of curiosity is it a case,  for you,  of success justifiying the means of success even at the loss of our club's autonomy? 

Not saying that is wrong. Just trying to get a flavour of where people stand on this. 

What does autonomy for the club mean ? 

As fans, most of us will have spent more time and money on supporting Thistle than we would care to admit. But when things like takeovers happen to our club, we have no say in it and we will also be amongst the last to know when it happens. So lets just hope if it does go ahead, it is for the better of our club.

• Like 2

Aj , you are so right. But it’s not my decision. It’s not your decision. It’s a decision for people who have put their hard earned cash into the club in the past. They kept the club going in tricky circumstances, I don’t see why they would shaft us now. They have earned the right to make the decision by digging deep. And they have earned the right for our default position to trust their decision and judgement by their past actions for the good of the club rather than be suspicious of it or their motivations. That’s my view so I am keeping an open mind.

10 minutes ago, jaf said:

Aj , you are so right. But it’s not my decision. It’s not your decision. It’s a decision for people who have put their hard earned cash into the club in the past. They kept the club going in tricky circumstances, I don’t see why they would shaft us now. They have earned the right to make the decision by digging deep. And they have earned the right for our default position to trust their decision and judgement by their past actions for the good of the club rather than be suspicious of it or their motivations. That’s my view so I am keeping an open mind.

Jaf, I am not suggesting that they would shaft us. I along with yourself and every other Thistle fan wait and wonder what the outcome will be. 

• Like 2

It doesn't matter if its Chien Lee or Paul Conway or Bill Gates. Theres again a portion of Thistle fans who regardless of the person don't want outsiders at the club. Yet the reality is the base of Thistle fans and their pals pals with disposable income and the knowledge to run a professional football club at this point has truly been exhausted. 

By all means however, let the fans run the club like a bowling club committee, because thats what they want, they demonstrate that every single time. They didn't want Gary Caldwell over Archie, god forbid Kris Doolan leave, now its suggested that someone who doesn't have a connection to the club might want to buy it and again its a no no. We've a cheek to mock the old firm attitude of only wanting people of their own ilk, we're worse.

• Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, avie-man said:

It doesn't matter if its Chien Lee or Paul Conway or Bill Gates. Theres again a portion of Thistle fans who regardless of the person don't want outsiders at the club. Yet the reality is the base of Thistle fans and their pals pals with disposable income and the knowledge to run a professional football club at this point has truly been exhausted. 

By all means however, let the fans run the club like a bowling club committee, because thats what they want, they demonstrate that every single time. They didn't want Gary Caldwell over Archie, god forbid Kris Doolan leave, now its suggested that someone who doesn't have a connection to the club might want to buy it and again its a no no. We've a cheek to mock the old firm attitude of only wanting people of their own ilk, we're worse.

Avie - Man , before you start slaughtering our fans , you probably need to find our more about the people involved in the perceived take over and what their plans are for the Club , not every takeover is a good idea the Lithuanians buying  Hearts almost put them out of business and only Anne Budge’s business acumen and her affiliation to Hearts saved them from going out of the game altogether.  Same could be said of Rangers and Dundee after they were taken over and almost went out of business as well .

A club at our level needs to have an identity,  with people and players within the Club that we can relate to through the good times and the bad , think it kind of mirrors life in general.

I don’t want to support the Old Firm and what they stand for , spreading their bigoted stain across Scottish Football,  of course I want our Club to be successful, coach our own young players, establish our Club in the top flight and maybe the odd cup win as well but plenty of provincial clubs have done that and still retained their identity.

People with no affiliation to our Club have obviously got an agenda, either as a investment for the future in whatever way ( ground ? ) or a vehicle to trade players ( feeder club ) 

I’m keeping an open mind until I found out more about it and the people involved.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Avie - Man , before you start slaughtering our fans , you probably need to find our more about the people involved in the perceived take over and what their plans are for the Club , not every takeover is a good idea the Lithuanians buying  Hearts almost put them out of business and only Anne Budge’s business acumen and her affiliation to Hearts saved them from going out of the game altogether.  Same could be said of Rangers and Dundee after they were taken over and almost went out of business as well .

A club at our level needs to have an identity,  with people and players within the Club that we can relate to through the good times and the bad , think it kind of mirrors life in general.

I don’t want to support the Old Firm and what they stand for , spreading their bigoted stain across Scottish Football,  of course I want our Club to be successful, coach our own young players, establish our Club in the top flight and maybe the odd cup win as well but plenty of provincial clubs have done that and still retained their identity.

People with no affiliation to our Club have obviously got an agenda, either as a investment for the future in whatever way ( ground ? ) or a vehicle to trade players ( feeder club ) 

I’m keeping an open mind until I found out more about it and the people involved.

I seem to agree with everything you say on different subjects including this one

The suddenness of this news gives me a very “Carrie at the dance about 10 minutes before the bucket” feeling.  If true, I hope we get a quick statement of intent from the prospective owners.

Man, i always assumed “Firhill for Thrills” was about the football, not the off-the-park dealings.  Chinese takeover, sun mascot, pink shirts, rainbow shirts, flirted with extinction....this club is too f**king weird not to be everyone’s darling.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

This is a good considered and balanced post.

I've read all the posts now, I'm trying to get my head round the fact that what appears to be a wealthy consortium with no connection to Scottish football, never mind our club, wants to get involved. Everytime I think I have worked out our club there appears on the horizon even more unpredictability!!!!

If all this goes ahead, I just hope the "New Owners" don't borrow cash the way some have suggested, so that if it goes wrong and they walk away we as a club aren't saddled with debt we can never pay back. That said I don't see what assets we have that would allow any borrowing. As you state jls, all we can do is keep an open mind and see how this develops. Makes the case season very exciting.

Just one other observation, is it wrong to just want your club to still be here in 50, 100 years time? I do want to see us lift a cup, or qualify for Europe but not at any cost.

Once again there is intense speculation over something which may not even be true.  We have had similar debates on training grounds closing, potential administration, whether Colin Weir is funding holidays and whether the Firhill Basin is being used as a North Korean missile silo. (OK I made the last one up, but the Board have not denied it!).

Can we find out if there is any substance to some of these issues before going into meltdown mode?

6 minutes ago, Big Dan said:

Once again there is intense speculation over something which may not even be true.  We have had similar debates on training grounds closing, potential administration, whether Colin Weir is funding holidays and whether the Firhill Basin is being used as a North Korean missile silo. (OK I made the last one up, but the Board have not denied it!).

Can we find out if there is any substance to some of these issues before going into meltdown mode?

We are off to LaManga in July, is this being paid for by our new owners - we need answers (okay actually we don't but that never usually stops anyone).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

We are off to LaManga in July, is this being paid for by our new owners - we need answers (okay actually we don't but that never usually stops anyone).

I did laugh when I read this 5 mins ago. Weir minted so why not ( ducks for cover ). 

1 hour ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Fawlty Towers is off to LaManga for signing talks with NEYMAR, who has always only ever wanted to play for Thistle.........

the club were unavailable for comment.

These headlines write themselves they really do. This journo thing is p1ss easy

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Out of likes but excellent balanced post

• admin locked this topic