New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

I don't know what to make of this. 

In principle I hate the idea. I don't want us to be part of someone's portfolio. I want us to be Partick Thistle. One and only. Our achievements are our own. For all the faults of previous boards I've always felt (perhaps Bates aside) that they are only the caretakers, and that Thistle was still about the fans. Our success would depend  largely on who turned up. I've always said I'd hate to be a Man City fan, and would struggle now you support them.  So where would this leave me?

To be honest I'm not sure. I suppose I wait and see. Maybe it's the way of the world. Similar has happened at my work, and I don't much like that either.

It's not all about results for me. Identity is important. We'll see.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, allyo said:

In principle I hate the idea. I don't want us to be part of someone's portfolio. I want us to be Partick Thistle. One and only. Our achievements are our own. For all the faults of previous boards I've always felt (perhaps Bates aside) that they are only the caretakers, and that Thistle was still about the fans. Our success would depend  largely on who turned up. I've always said I'd hate to be a Man City fan, and would struggle now you support them.  So where would this leave me?

To be honest I'm not sure. I suppose I wait and see. Maybe it's the way of the world. Similar has happened at my work, and I don't much like that either.

I understand much of this. The one thing I am unsure about though is this “identity” point.   

what really is the difference between being run by a bunch of people from fife and Edinburgh who had never seen us play before compared to being run by people from further afield but essentially with the same history of having not seen us (albeit the second group do have experience of running football clubs)  

The current custodians of our club talk about identity but what does it actually mean. A year ago we were told we would go back to playing  “the partick thistle way” and go back where we belong to the premier league. What is playing the  partick thistle way and how did we see it?   And if you knew our history perhaps you would not conclude we belong in the spl but are more of a yo-yo club between the top 2 divisions.

In short , you have personal experience at work which I respect may influence your feelings on this, but for me it comes down to whether you believe this board will protect the identity of the club or are simply passing through in an attempt to enhance cvs  if you believe the latter, then there is less to fear from this development  I would add to that, I trust the people who would sell the shares to make this happen and believe none of them have any motivation not to want the best foe the club in the future   That itself gives me a further degree of comfort   

I am not saying we shouldn’t have concerns but I do think let’s see the detail prior to condemning this as a doomsday scenario  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, allyo said:

The Sunday Post makes the statement, '...they'll see Thistle as an opportunity to grow the club and then sell it on'

If we can manage to do that, plus get a reasonable 8000 / 10000 seat stadium and maybe win a cup [or at least a good cup run] and get back to the SPL and become a regular top 6 team in that league, my guess is the majority of fans will take that. To be brutally honest, I don't see us getting anything like that kind of success with the present board set-up.

What we have to ensure is there are the proper checks and balances before any take-over is discussed [or is it already too late?].

What PTFC, and Scottish football in general, does not need is a re-run of the disastrous tax evasion businesses that blighted the game a few years ago [Dundee  & RFC spring to mind]

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Garscube Road End said:

But your brain cells do. All over the place.

What are you in about ? All I pointed out was that the comments you highlighted were said by an unknown businessman not the consortium and you go all Boris Johnson 

Can't think what a Chinese businessman would want with a big plot of land in a city with an ever increasing amount of Chinese students and student flats going up everywhere else in the west end. 

Of course there will be a shiny new stadium in the offing, just a couple of technical difficulties to sort out first... 

4 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Can't think what a Chinese businessman would want with a big plot of land in a city with an ever increasing amount of Chinese students and student flats going up everywhere else in the west end. 

Of course there will be a shiny new stadium in the offing, just a couple of technical difficulties to sort out first... 

Redeveloping the bing would be a great start.

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

4 hours ago, Garscube Road End said:

Into Europe? Hmmm. This lot sound dodgy!

This is an interesting aspect of all of this. So far, in terms of the UK, the consortium don't have much chance of European qualification with Barnsley. Might it be the case they can envisage a better chance of this type of progression on a larger stage with Thistle. Personally for me getting a trip in Europe with Thistle is a dream and I would be sceptical of it being a possibility, but I do see why someone with less knowledge of how minced we can be would think it would be easier to create success with us, in relative terms. And if it didn't work out theres not much lost and at worst we are part of a feeder/development system. Either way I suspect we have a better chance of sustained success under this group of people than under those in charge at the moment.

From the various articles available I don't get the impression these people are dodgy in the slightest. Their rational for wanting Thistle is a bit of a mystery but checks within the business community prove they have the means and high integrity. They are not tin pot.

As others have said, the silence from our current board is deafening from which I am taking this as being well down the line to happening.

44 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

I think the main thing for me is that this is an American take over, one just happens to have chineese DNA. I personally don't care where they come from if they progress the club. Perhaps they are being seduced by our inclusive nature

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

But not said by potential new owners please note 

I'm aware of that, thanks.

What it is, however, is the common sense view of someone involved in the business side of football on why a wealthy investor might be interested in purchasing Partick Thistle.

Some folk on here have used the current board's lack of equity in the club as one of many sticks to beat it with, but at least we know they're not in it to make a quick buck.

What - and I appreciate we're dealing in hypotheticals here - if any new owner can't grow the club to a degree that makes it saleable? 

Do they write off their investment in their 'plaything' (copyright JordanhillJag), or do they load it with debt in a bid to recoup some of their outlay?

Who cares as long as we get rid of Jacqui Low and Gary Caldwell, right?

50 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

What it is, however, is the common sense view of someone involved in the business side of football on why a wealthy investor might be interested in purchasing Partick Thistle.

Some folk on here have used the current board's lack of equity in the club as one of many sticks to beat it with, but at least we know they're not in it to make a quick buck.

What - and I appreciate we're dealing in hypotheticals here - if any new owner can't grow the club to a degree that makes it saleable? 

Do they write off their investment in their 'plaything' (copyright JordanhillJag), or do they load it with debt in a bid to recoup some of their outlay?

If propco can’t  get a deal on the bing after 10 years and no one has worked out how to sell the stadium land for anything and nothing has happened to the canal area I wouldn’t hold your breath 

can you explain how loading the club with debt would work ?

Edited by javeajag
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dark Passenger said:

Ok so we are asking lots of Questions about the motivation for the potential New Owners - whats the motivation for the Current Board -  who exactly are they ? They dont have track records in Football no real connection to the Club - Not Investors- not seeing any Major Sponsors being brought in ? So What exactly is the Plan - I do see a lot of PR - to what end Im not 100% sure ? 

You have spent plenty of time pointing out the "risk" of New Owners who have track Record in Business & Running Football Clubs and who have managed to convince Thistle Fans who put there Heart Soul and Money into the Club that they will take us forward and to part with there shares 

- So whats the Plan B if we dont go with the New Ponetial Owners ?  As I for one dont see anything that resembles a Plan from our current Board   

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Ancipital said:

There are lots of Easier bits of Land to build on than the Bing 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

You have spent plenty of time pointing out the "risk" of New Owners who have track Record in Business & Running Football Clubs and who have managed to convince Thistle Fans who put there Heart Soul and Money into the Club that they will take us forward and to part with there shares 

Aye, because those past directors are doing it with the best interests of Partick Thistle in mind. It's absolutely nothing to do with making a bit of moolah.

• admin locked this topic