New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

28 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Hi Allyo, I think we are of similar age. But I am of a different opinion as I have longed for someone to plough money into the club. I think it would be great if we could get a winning team on the park and finally get some success apart from finishing 6th in the top league every 30 odd years or so, being the pinnacle. I think if we have a winning team on the park doing well on a consistent basis we would get the crowds back. Some might call them glory hunters. Of course I would not want the future of the club put in doubt, because of any deal. One thing for sure it is never boring following the Jags.:fan:

Fair enough Auld Jag. All depends on your perspective, point of view.

Just worried it could all taste a bit sour, but maybe it's early to judge. 

1 hour ago, allyo said:

I suppose my view is that our owners to date have never really imposed an identity on us. Owners, directors etc came and went, but we continued on as Partick Thistle, because the club was always bigger than whatever was behind it.

I worry that with this type of arrangement the ownership becomes the dominant force, that we just become a small part of a wider "portfolio" (I hate that word), set up to please shareholders regardless of what it means on the ground. 

I mean, it might result in success.  That's the best case scenario, right? But when I look at Man City winning all these trophies I don't see the old club, I see an oil billionaire's money dressed up in pale blue with old Man City badge. It wouldn't excite me as a fan.

Fully appreciate that this is subjective and it's all about your perspective as a fan. Some people just want a successful team and that's fair enough. But I think this could distance the club from the fans, and the trend would be a concern for all of Scottish football,  not just Thistle.

Old fashioned views though. I accept that.

I think you might get excited if thistle won the premier league or god forbid a cup. The vast majority of thistle fans would bite your hand off for that. If we do become a scottish version of man city I say bring it on. We might just get lucky. 

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

So all foreign owners don’t work ?! It’s like me saying celtic are only successful because they are foreign owned .... way too simple 

Think there is only scepticism because we don’t know the plans of the so called new owners , we had/ have  investment in the Club with Colin Weirs money with the Academy, unfortunately I don’t think we’ve made the most of that opportunity. We had a fantastic chance to build our football club , in the Premier League, coach our young players and give them a pathway to the first team and build a legacy for the Club for the future. We blew it big time , very little focus on the Academy, dreadful recruitment and holding onto Archie too long which resulted in relegation.

We’re kind of looking for the quick fix , trying to get promotion straight away , shouldn’t we be trying to build something that’s going to last and be sustainable?

Reading between the lines , these guys see their investment in PTFC as short term , trading players, feeder clubs were some of the quotes in the paper . I’m not sure if that’s the direction we should be going in , its debatable if these guys will be around for the long term  but I still want to be supporting my team in 10 yrs team .

Usually investors if they’re not making any money disappear quickly, possibly leaving a mess behind them .

I hope the people who are involved in running our Club are not going down the investment at all costs route but actually weighing up if it’s the best direction to go on for the foreseeable future.

I have my doubts 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I think you might get excited if thistle won the premier league or god forbid a cup. The vast majority of thistle fans would bite your hand off for that. If we do become a scottish version of man city I say bring it on. We might just get lucky. 

Do you know, I probably would. I don't like the English premier league because it all seems hollow. Proud old clubs with roots in community being used for billionaires to display their wealth. I don't want scottish football to go that way. If it did then I think I would care less (which actually might be better for my health) but I'm sure I'd still want Thistle's billionaire's ego to be boosted more than everyone else's. 

Edited by allyo

21 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Technically Celtic are Foriegn Owned ? 

Slightly different JJ , you’re actually talking about a guy who supported Celtic becoming their major shareholder., not sure if there is a Chinese PTFC supporters Club , might be soon though !!

17 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

Really on a fan base of 3000 supporters.

43 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Think there is only scepticism because we don’t know the plans of the so called new owners , we had/ have  investment in the Club with Colin Weirs money with the Academy, unfortunately I don’t think we’ve made the most of that opportunity. We had a fantastic chance to build our football club , in the Premier League, coach our young players and give them a pathway to the first team and build a legacy for the Club for the future. We blew it big time , very little focus on the Academy, dreadful recruitment and holding onto Archie too long which resulted in relegation.

We’re kind of looking for the quick fix , trying to get promotion straight away , shouldn’t we be trying to build something that’s going to last and be sustainable?

Reading between the lines , these guys see their investment in PTFC as short term , trading players, feeder clubs were some of the quotes in the paper . I’m not sure if that’s the direction we should be going in , its debatable if these guys will be around for the long term  but I still want to be supporting my team in 10 yrs team .

Usually investors if they’re not making any money disappear quickly, possibly leaving a mess behind them .

I hope the people who are involved in running our Club are not going down the investment at all costs route but actually weighing up if it’s the best direction to go on for the foreseeable future.

I have my doubts 

They are quoted in taking over Barnsley as saying they are long term investors

44 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Really on a fan base of 3000 supporters.

Unlikely we will ever win the premier league. But why not a cup? Realistically no matter what money is put in to the club the OF will win it all. Then again if Leicester can upset the giants why not us. What is undeniable is that the current set up will only ever mean we yoyo between the leagues. A new approach is required. 

49 minutes ago, allyo said:

Do you know, I probably would. I don't like the English premier league because it all seems hollow. Proud old clubs with roots in community being used for billionaires to display their wealth. I don't want scottish football to go that way. If it did then I think I would care less (which actually might be better for my health) but I'm sure I'd still want Thistle's billionaire's ego to be boosted more than everyone else's. 

I cant really imagine a billionaires ego will be boosted dramatically by owning PTFC! Like most I'm finding it difficult to understand what the end game is here. 

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

They are quoted in taking over Barnsley as saying they are long term investors

Get the Barnsley thing , Championship money , even getting a shot at the Premiership etc, you can see why someone would take a chance in investing in  Barnsley 

I’ve no idea where they would make any money in their investment in Scottish Football , a stadium which needs redeveloped  , a fan base of 3000 fans  and no discernible youth policy .

Not sure where they would get their return from ?

What we are looking at is "a leap of faith" - a phrase first used by David Beattie over an issue less important than this one and one which many people threw in his face at every opportunity but is now considered to be totally okay. The future ownership of the club we support is a bit like the race to be PM - very important to all us of but will be decided by a small number of people and we need to hope their judgement is sound.

I find it a little strange that people who scrutinise everything that our current board say and do are happy to go along with assumptions and theories regarding our future owners.

Please do not think that I am completely against this as I am not. What I am is in the dark and I like to make decisions based on information and, so far, our future owners have decided not to provide that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Get the Barnsley thing , Championship money , even getting a shot at the Premiership etc, you can see why someone would take a chance in investing in  Barnsley 

I’ve no idea where they would make any money in their investment in Scottish Football , a stadium which needs redeveloped  , a fan base of 3000 fans  and no discernible youth policy .

Real Estate.

Think some posters are way off the mark. These people are not investors, nor are they sugar daddies ala Colin Weir. They're asset strippers.

They will not invest a penny of their own money and they will saddle the club with crippling debt, before heading for the exit with a wheel barrow full of cash. Open your eyes look at what has happened at Nice.

I hope whoever got the ball rolling on this at our end are enjoying the fruits of their labour and that the brown envelope was stuffed nice and full :thumbdown:

If the two fan trusts merged or agreed to operate as one, then their combined 26% of shares would put them in a very strong position to determine the future direction of the Club and make any new owner have to win the trusts' backing for their plans.  As separate entities they are powerless.

Time for the fans to get this issue sorted right away before it is too late.

PS. Never received an answer from PTFC Trust on my questions some 4 months ago abot Board shareholding and a fans' seat . the Board

25 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

I cant really imagine a billionaires ego will be boosted dramatically by owning PTFC! Like most I'm finding it difficult to understand what the end game is here. 

Billionaire ego stroking is best case

10 minutes ago, eljaggo said:

If the two fan trusts merged or agreed to operate as one, then their combined 26% of shares would put them in a very strong position to determine the future direction of the Club and make any new owner have to win the trusts' backing for their plans.  As separate entities they are powerless.

Time for the fans to get this issue sorted right away before it is too late.

PS. Never received an answer from PTFC Trust on my questions some 4 months ago abot Board shareholding and a fans' seat . the Board

One of the Trust board members posted further back in this thread but appears to have retreated behind the curtain again. Bit of a joke, frankly. 

31 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Where are the American owners of Dundee, Dundee Utd and Ayr getting their return ? 

• admin locked this topic