New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Just now, scotty said:

B ut you're the one criticising for them not telling us!

I was shown the PM stating they were coming in for a tour but the board weren’t interested in the takeover. 

Again PM’s being sent from Firhill to certain fans to relay their spin

So other than knowing the rumours of a takeover attempt are true, we’re no further forward.

I’ve previously declared my support for the takeover and my mind hasn’t been changed.

Just want it to be over and done with so we can concentrate on football.

56 minutes ago, jaggymct said:

the report in the Daily Mail states that he was in Glasgow, no mention of being actually at Firhill.  Does anyone actually know he has been at Firhill ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7207281/Takeover-Partick-Thistle-faces-EFL-obstacle-consortium-breach-dual-ownership-rules.html

Exactly jaggymct, no one named person is saying he or she saw Conway in Glasgow. Now I'm not saying all of the written media make sh1te up but........... sources? Can we trust the daily (anti everything) mail. At least the club, no doubt after reading JordanhillJag's comments, have made a statement if sirts, yet many then use this as a stick to beat them with. C'mon tae f@ck, I get the BoD aren't popular but can we please have a break out of common sense. They are limited in what they can and cannot say. Javeajag post would have been better but still, at least they've put something up.

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why would dual ownership be detrimental to Thistle in the long term ?

Why is it a conflict of interest when the Teams are in different Countries ? 

We already are Feeder Clubs to across the Border - we always have been ? 

By saying we've always been "a feeder club" I'm presuming you mean we've always been a selling club feeding clubs across the border. True, but that's always been on our own terms, selling players when we decide. Not when someone else decides.

btw my point is somewhat negated by the Fitzpatrick statement, which can be construed as a third party has led the agenda. Even at that we are still in control.

17 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Exactly jaggymct, no one named person is saying he or she saw Conway in Glasgow. Now I'm not saying all of the written media make sh1te up but........... sources? Can we trust the daily (anti everything) mail. At least the club, no doubt after reading JordanhillJag's comments, have made a statement if sirts, yet many then use this as a stick to beat them with. C'mon tae f@ck, I get the BoD aren't popular but can we please have a break out of common sense. They are limited in what they can and cannot say. Javeajag post would have been better but still, at least they've put something up.

Do you really think Jlow diexnt kniw that’s going on ? And they put out that statement it’s insulting

and Conway was at firhill yesterday 

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

The alarming part is we also have no banking facilities. No ability to have an overdraft (common for businesses our size) or short term loans.

Is it that we don’t have an overdraft facility or that we aren’t using it ?

8 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Do you really think Jlow diexnt kniw that’s going on ? And they put out that statement it’s insulting

Its also semantics

The official transfer request to the board cannot happen until there is a transaction

One would imagine that there will be  no transaction until due diligence is done

One would further imagine that may have been at least partly why Conway was at Firhill yesterday to sort timeline for due diligence etc - he did not turn up unannounced and so there must have been some notification in advance of that, even though not an official share transfer notice

7 minutes ago, jaf said:

Its also semantics

The official transfer request to the board cannot happen until there is a transaction

One would imagine that there will be  no transaction until due diligence is done

One would further imagine that may have been at least partly why Conway was at Firhill yesterday to sort timeline for due diligence etc - he did not turn up unannounced and so there must have been some notification in advance of that, even though not an official share transfer notice

Exactly don’t pretend we are all stupid 

I thought the statement is pretty much as expected and all they can formally say in the circumstances, i.e. the matter hasn't been formally raised with the board. I'm happy that the management and board continue to focus on the matter in hand - performance next season - rather than field press interest and social media chatter. There just isn't enough hours in the day to engage to the degree some people on here expect.

25 minutes ago, fenski said:

I thought the statement is pretty much as expected and all they can formally say in the circumstances, i.e. the matter hasn't been formally raised with the board. I'm happy that the management and board continue to focus on the matter in hand - performance next season - rather than field press interest and social media chatter. There just isn't enough hours in the day to engage to the degree some people on here expect.

We have two full time Staff Members in Communications - thats there job to deal with Press Interest 

Plus they are happy to answer and Direct Messages to the Chairman on Twitter

A potential takeover is a major event for a Club like Thistle - obviously people are going to be looking for information

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

By saying we've always been "a feeder club" I'm presuming you mean we've always been a selling club feeding clubs across the border. True, but that's always been on our own terms, selling players when we decide. Not when someone else decides.

btw my point is somewhat negated by the Fitzpatrick statement, which can be construed as a third party has led the agenda. Even at that we are still in control.

Actually - the Selling in the past was to balance the Books - so not exactly on our terms - more likely the Bank or HMRC - so I dont think we are ever really dictating terms - of when we sold Players - I honestly dont see ant difference in what "may" be proposed 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We have two full time Staff Members in Communications - thats there job to deal with Press Interest 

Plus they are happy to answer and Direct Messages to the Chairman on Twitter

A potential takeover is a major event for a Club like Thistle - obviously people are going to be looking for information

I agree with the statement in bold but, in my opinion, the information should be coming from those who wish to take control.

The most sensible thing I have read today about this subject came from Paul Goodwin:

"However, the group who want to buy our club must surely have thought about the existing shareholders and the ordinary fans. Surely if what they are selling is so good and exciting then why not start by talking to the most important folk in all of this - the fans?'

• Like 1

Apropos of the last two days or so of thread:

It is possible both to be deeply critical of how the current board is running Partick Thistle while also been very suspicious of the motives and interests of a consortium with no prior connection to the Club potentially acquiring a controlling interest in it.

In much the same way as one could quite reasonably have felt Archie’s time was up while being vehemently opposed to Caldwell’s appointment as his successor?

Me? I want Thistle to be owned by a diverse group of people, most of whom are in for long enough of the long haul that they wouldn’t actually mind if they never got the money back for the shares they once bought or were given.

Given recent events I’m not convinced that applies to the main shareholders, our board or a consortium with a major financial interest in Nice and/or Barnsley.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I've no doubt she does, as so the test of the board. I've zero experience if such things but have no doubt that such discussions are very tense affairs and with many caveats and I'm personally not surprised at the content of the media release/statement. If youre insulted, well, that's your right but suggest it's less of a deal than you make out.

Did you see Conway at Firhill personally? see him with your own eyes?

7 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

I've no doubt she does, as so the test of the board. I've zero experience if such things but have no doubt that such discussions are very tense affairs and with many caveats and I'm personally not surprised at the content of the media release/statement. If youre insulted, well, that's your right but suggest it's less of a deal than you make out.

Did you see Conway at Firhill personally? see him with your own eyes?

No I spoke to someone who saw Conway 

im insulted because they are basically lying 

20 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I agree with the statement in bold but, in my opinion, the information should be coming from those who wish to take control.

The most sensible thing I have read today about this subject came from Paul Goodwin:

"However, the group who want to buy our club must surely have thought about the existing shareholders and the ordinary fans. Surely if what they are selling is so good and exciting then why not start by talking to the most important folk in all of this - the fans?'

Probably because all parties on all sides are aware that they whole thing might come to nothing, and therefore talking up their plans would only unnecessarily raise fan expectations. It would also be unprofessional to openly communicate with fans if no formal approach has been made to the board. I don't really see how anyone on any side can say much, until formal discussions are in progress, at which point all they can really say is that formal discussions are in progress.

There are loads of things going on at executive level where I work that I and other staff will hear nothing about. I understand why this is so and I'd rather it was that way than staff being unsettled by every draft proposal that doesn't get anywhere.

We will hear in good time if anything is actually going to happen. It's a pity that these rumours got in to the public domain at such an early stage. Maybe the people that leaked them should have kept it to themselves. Maybe the people who leaked it wanted to unsettle the fans and put pressure on the board?

37 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Why would a group who are in private discussions with shareholders start mouthing off about their plans? That would be a red flag for me, rather than something to encourage. 

• admin locked this topic