New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

I honestly can't see anything wrong with the statement.

i mean it virtually translates as "We are not in a position to comment, so we'd rather not, but we know the fans are demanding we say something, so we'd just like to say that nothing official has happened, and until it does, we can't really say anything. But we do want to concentrate on running the club for now, thanks"

But I'm not sure if that would have gone down any better.

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

I honestly can't see anything wrong with the statement.

i mean it virtually translates as "We are not in a position to comment, so we'd rather not, but we know the fans are demanding we say something, so we'd just like to say that nothing official has happened, and until it does, we can't really say anything. But we do want to concentrate on running the club for now, thanks"

But I'm not sure if that would have gone down any better.

But it’s not what they said is it ?

2 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I have no agenda I’m a fan and very small shareholder and indeed if you check have been very supportive of the board eg the training ground but having worked in business and indeed in takeovers the boards   handing of this is laughable 

To be fair to you, you have supported this board for a long time on many matters, as we have crossed swords on them. 

However, whether board-neutral or board-supportive, I am surprised more of those groups don't ever stop to think why so many people have joined the board-critical grouping over one issue or another.

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

But it’s not what they said is it ?

Not word for word obviously, as mine was in a pretty informal, tongue in cheek style, but that's actually my understanding of what they have said, and of what they have intended to say, and without any hidden agenda that I can see.

31 minutes ago, javeajag said:

It is extremely misleading .... why not say what I suggested ?

Yes, merit in that. Said that a few posts back but also said that I know nothing about the legalities of such things and suggested perhaps the current board couldnt say what you suggested.

Was a fine suggested press release though. Perhaps you've a future with any new board. If the present one read the p1sh on the forum you're off the Christmas card list, along with a few others, me included.

2 minutes ago, jaf said:

To be fair to you, you have supported this board for a long time on many matters, as we have crossed swords on them. 

However, whether board-neutral or board-supportive, I am surprised more of those groups don't ever stop to think why so many people have joined the board-critical grouping over one issue or another.

Indeed we have ..... I always think some people confuse loyalty to the club with defending the board ... it has to be issue by issue 

2 minutes ago, allyo said:

Not word for word obviously, as mine was in a pretty informal, tongue in cheek style, but that's actually my understanding of what they have said, and of what they have intended to say, and without any hidden agenda that I can see.

But it’s not what they actually said ... on one level it was pointless 

2 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Yes, merit in that. Said that a few posts back but also said that I know nothing about the legalities of such things and suggested perhaps the current board couldnt say what you suggested.

Was a fine suggested press release though. Perhaps you've a future with any new board. If the present one read the p1sh on the forum you're off the Christmas card list, along with a few others, me included.

My suggested statement is legally fine from the boards perspective .,..but the board not for me ! 

1 minute ago, javeajag said:

But it’s not what they actually said ... on one level it was pointless 

I think they know it is essentially a pointless statement, but they feel obliged to make it because the fans are demanding something. I reckon their hands are tied, they're not in a position to say anything meaningful but they have promised to communicate and they've had to put something out.

2 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

I thought the statement was a sensible one, albeit it could have come earlier.

Its a sort of Non Statement - Officially  nothing will happen until they get SFA Clearance - so Officially - no request for Share Transfer has been made 

But the "rumours"  are sort of gathering momentum - and if they are to be believed contact has been made with the Club by the Bidders  ( I doubt the Press would state this without checking )  

The Board can do three  things

- try and encourage Fans to lobby the SFA against the takeover -  not sure if they  can do  that - as they have to act in the interests of the Shareholders & 55% want to sell 

- Lobby the SFA themselves against any takeover - not sure if they  can do  that - as they have to act in the interests of the Shareholders & 55% want to sell 

- try to get an existing shareholder to buy the 55% 

Apart from that - they are bystanders

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I agree with the statement in bold but, in my opinion, the information should be coming from those who wish to take control.

The most sensible thing I have read today about this subject came from Paul Goodwin:

"However, the group who want to buy our club must surely have thought about the existing shareholders and the ordinary fans. Surely if what they are selling is so good and exciting then why not start by talking to the most important folk in all of this - the fans?'

Why ? if they already have 55% they have convinced the people making the decision - this is a Business Process - Yes Fans have an emotional input - but a takeover is about Shares - nothing more 

The SFA will look at it ref any long term impact of future takeovers - again Fans will be considered but not the Prime one - plus I would say For /Against sits about 50/50 at the moment      

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why ? if they already have 55% they have convinced the people making the decision - this is a Business Process - Yes Fans have an emotional input - but a takeover is about Shares - nothing more 

The SFA will look at it ref any long term impact of future takeovers - again Fans will be considered but not the Prime one - plus I would say For /Against sits about 50/50 at the moment      

Would you be for it JJ?

Hibs fans are delighted with their recent takeover but all we do is sit and moan about a proposed takeover! Personally bring them in and let's see where we go, i wanna see us do something and maybe win something other than the championship title and tennents sixes trophy in my lifetime. Meanwhile it sounds like lot's wants to just meander on....

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

I think they know it is essentially a pointless statement, but they feel obliged to make it because the fans are demanding something. I reckon their hands are tied, they're not in a position to say anything meaningful but they have promised to communicate and they've had to put something out.

Seemingly pointless statement and why now?

Perhaps this is the key passage; "...We have a pivotal season ahead and can’t afford to be distracted from the job in hand. However, as Directors, it is our responsibility to always act in the best interests of the Club. As the uncertainty caused by ongoing conjecture is causing concern for our fans as well as being potentially damaging to our preseason plans ...".

Are we missing out on targets? Are agents waiting to see whether they can ask for better remuneration? The uncertainty can't be helpful. Perhaps the statement is a message to the parties involved to get a move on. 

6 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Seemingly pointless statement and why now?

Perhaps this is the key passage; "...We have a pivotal season ahead and can’t afford to be distracted from the job in hand. However, as Directors, it is our responsibility to always act in the best interests of the Club. As the uncertainty caused by ongoing conjecture is causing concern for our fans as well as being potentially damaging to our preseason plans ...".

Are we missing out on targets? Are agents waiting to see whether they can ask for better remuneration? The uncertainty can't be helpful. Perhaps the statement is a message to the parties involved to get a move on. 

I agree, it certainty can't be helpful. By pointless I just mean that it doesn't say anything meaningful about a takeover

Edited by allyo

11 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Hibs fans are delighted with their recent takeover but all we do is sit and moan about a proposed takeover! Personally bring them in and let's see where we go, i wanna see us do something and maybe win something other than the championship title and tennents sixes trophy in my lifetime. Meanwhile it sounds like lot's wants to just meander on....

What is being speculated on here is not just a normal takeover. It's fundamentally changing what Thistle is, from an independent club to one of a group of clubs. Personally I don't understand how people can't see that.

Here's the real rub with this.

If you have 75% of a company in company law, then that is a pivotal shareholding percentage.

IF, the supporters trust had been set up in a way that the fans control the shares, this group would be a long way from that, and we, the supporters, would have protections.

However, as, at best, the setup deadlocks those 20% of shares , at worst they are under the control of the Board, but they are definitely not under the control of the supporters, 55+20=?

The 'strange' set up of the supporters trust ultimately will not protect us in this regard, when it could have. The two supporters trusts would have had more than 25% combined but if the trust stays as presently constituted the chance is gone.

So, for all those with open lines of communication on twitter or however with the Chair, the time for a new deed of variation so that the supporters trustees have an inbuilt majority is perhaps NOW. If there was a will, it could be done  by tomorrow.

11 minutes ago, allyo said:

What is being speculated on here is not just a normal takeover. It's fundamentally changing what Thistle is, from an independent club to one of a group of clubs. Personally I don't understand how people can't see that.

I am well aware of what it seems to be, but we can sit in the past and harp on about 71 for the next 100 years or we can potentially become a more successful side, maybe get more through the gates and hopefully stadium improvements in the longer term. We cannot end up worse of than we are now. And for those that say oh we may become stuck with debt, we done that as an independent club as well a few times and nobody will buy a club full of debt which the investors plan to build and sell for profit. The investors also would not want a failure on their portfolio as that would sin die them from future purchases.

4 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Its a sort of Non Statement - Officially  nothing will happen until they get SFA Clearance - so Officially - no request for Share Transfer has been made 

But the "rumours"  are sort of gathering momentum - and if they are to be believed contact has been made with the Club by the Bidders  ( I doubt the Press would state this without checking )  

The Board can do three  things

- try and encourage Fans to lobby the SFA against the takeover -  not sure if they  can do  that - as they have to act in the interests of the Shareholders & 55% want to sell 

- Lobby the SFA themselves against any takeover - not sure if they  can do  that - as they have to act in the interests of the Shareholders & 55% want to sell 

- try to get an existing shareholder to buy the 55% 

Apart from that - they are bystanders

The rumours have been gathering momentum for at least a month now to be fair- though they do always seem to come from the same posters 

• admin locked this topic