New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

2 hours ago, Thistleberight said:

Right now, if the choice were, stay as we are or, take a shot at proper funding and become a club that could genuinely compete for a cup and or European qualification, but that there might be a possibility you'll become a Clydebank, Gretna, third lanark.........easy decision. Unfortunately I don't expect to have any say as a fan, so is I come in to any money I'm registering FC Partick Thistle just in case

Can I just clarify. You would take a short term glory of a cup over the long term future of the club ?

For me, it is a no brainer, in the opposite direction. The long term future must be the priority. I support Partick Thistle FC, not FC Partick Thistle

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

First option, I don’t buy. They would get a better standard and lower investment by sending the players on loan to English 1st/2nd or Scottish Premiership clubs.

The second I don’t buy as the academy is not built and if it is, will belong to the Weirs. They could pull the plug at any time. Also the market for players at our level is not there as we have seen this week with Fitz and Shanks.

There must be a motive but I just don’t get it

I think the wages of players in the Scottish championship will be a whole lot less than in the Scottish Premiership and the English leagues.

Has the academy been disbanded ? 

Are you maybe getting mixed up with the training ground ?

You may not buy it, but they are possibilities of how the potential new owners could get their money back.

44 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Can I just clarify. You would take a short term glory of a cup over the long term future of the club ?

For me, it is a no brainer, in the opposite direction. The long term future must be the priority. I support Partick Thistle FC, not FC Partick Thistle

That wasn't what I took from it. I agree that it's a no brainer to stay as we are, but I think it's also Thistleberight's opinion.

I may be wrong...

4 hours ago, jaf said:

I think if everyone was able to see the ways to make money out of things we would all be entrepreneurs!

i do think the level of investment needed to greatly improve our position is modest compared to other countries   

When you are trying to build a suite of football clubs around the globe, you require success stories to convince other clubs owners and fans of your merits  

if we were st Johnstone - cup winners and perennially safe in the premier league , I think that would be an improved position for our club  to get there would take some good running of the club and what a few million quid over a few years?  However in England that would be tens of millions to make a similar impact  

I think we are cheap and relatively easy to make “successful” if you have the money and that helps make them money elsewhere perhaps in other deals  

Just my thoughts and could be way off beam but in terms of this thread and no one articulating a business case, I do think the reasons could be wider than narrowly just about partick thistle  it’s hard to speculate about the reasons people we do not no might do something, but I would rather speculate positively than make all sorts of utterly unfounded accusations about money laundering and the like that some people are making  

Just out of interest, what is the value of the shares ?

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No, sorry for any confuddlement, I want my kids and future grandkids to love thistle as a club, not a memory.

I'm not gnashing my teeth at the possibility of this takeover just voicing concerns is all. I'm no risk taker but we need to be awake to the possibility of becoming an "owners" chip poke.

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

The value of the shares is what someone is willing to pay for them, and what someone is willing to sell them at.

As all shareholdings individually are minority shareholdings they hold more value by selling as a block.

I do share valuations for tax purposes as part of my day job, and for that purpose I am not sure there would be much value on the various minority holdings as they get no dividend off the shares, capital realisation is unlikely, and the company veers between losses and profits, so not even surety of future profits. Plus the shareholders have no or limited ability to influence performance as no board representation.

However someone may be prepared to pay a premium if there are other benefits they can get by having the shareholding. That goes back to the point I was making in my post you responded to; the value to the buyer may be beyond the ken of what we can all perceive.

2 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

Our shares are not traded so price is really difficult to calculate ... at one level is what a buyer is willing to offer and a seller willing to accept .... traditional corporate valuations all have issues for football clubs 

one method specifically designed for football clubs is the Markham Method :

Revenue+Net Assets x Net Profit+Revenue + Stadium Capacity% +Wage Ratio%

over Revenue 

for us you would probably look at revenues, profit /loss, wages and asset value 

29 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Given their shares cannot be sold no one would approach them anyway .... the cynic in me thinks the meeting will be arranged after the takeover is announced 

Statement is actually straightforward compared to the " Club Trust " - Jags Trust have asked for a Meeting and will update its Members 

Other Trust Rather strangely didn't request a Meeting with the Club or the potential Owners - nor for what I can gather responded to questions as to wither they met the potential Owners 

The Old Jags Trust are funny enough acting like a Supporters Trust in there Communications 

32 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Given their shares cannot be sold no one would approach them anyway .... the cynic in me thinks the meeting will be arranged after the takeover is announced 

The Jags Trust shares cannot be sold and they haven’t been approached but is this the same for the Thistle Trust (Trust number 2) ?

43 minutes ago, jagfox said:

I noticed Hibs fans were quite oblivious to their impending takeover. 

I wonder where ours was leaked from?

That darn mole on the go again?

Maybe the same person who leaked the embarrassing statements about Donald Trump by the UK ambassador.

• admin locked this topic