New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

4 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I would say it’s probable a sale will happen 

I’m not so sure , from what I’ve read they seem to want Colin Weir on board , it’s still a gamble to lose Colin Weirs support and go into business with investors who really don’t know what our Club is all about.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

I’m not so sure , from what I’ve read they seem to want Colin Weir on board , it’s still a gamble to lose Colin Weirs support and go into business with investors who really don’t know what our Club is all about.

Maybe .... but it’s the pensioners tea party .... they are all ex directors for a reason 

14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Completely agree though he has made mistakes millionaire Weir is clearly a Partick Thistle supporter.  Billionaire lee and Conway are not.

david Beattie is also one hence I would feel a bit better if he stayed as chairman rather than possibly be replaced by Lee or Conway 

13 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Completely agree though he has made mistakes millionaire Weir is clearly a Partick Thistle supporter.  Billionaire lee and Conway are not.

david Beattie is also one hence I would feel a bit better if he stayed as chairman rather than possibly be replaced by Lee or Conway 

He and they others retired for a reason ... coming back can only be an interim measure 

39 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Maybe .... but it’s the pensioners tea party .... they are all ex directors for a reason 

They are Ex Directors who put in Cash - served the Club well  and took a back seat - the fact they have chosen to come back and that David Kelly has been reappointed  head of Finances I think is quite telling 

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

They are Ex Directors who put in Cash - served the Club well  and took a back seat - the fact they have chosen to come back and that David Kelly has been reappointed  head of Finances I think is quite telling 

Agreed and I said the same thing about Kelly ... but are they going to take us forward I doubt they will put more cash in and at least one won’t 

12 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Do you think they will stay on Jim?

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Do you think they will stay on Jim?

I think following will happen - they will look to get the Club Running in a way they are confident with the Business Model 

They will have proper discussions on a Professional Manner with Potential New Owner ( and I think the Jags Trust Statement is very good regards this )   

If we are bought out - they will look for safeguards as best they can - they are Thistle Fans 

If we are not bought out they will look to most likely the Fan Base and recruit Thistle Fans with Business Experience to replace them  ( not me I hasten to add ) - there are lots out there - how we ended up with a Non Thistle Board is something I never got my head round - then over a Period they will hand over to a new team who understand  the Club and its Fans  

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, West Ender said:

I think the new board just want out with a good price for their shares. I worry that this doesn't necessarily mean it's a good takeover for the club and the punters, just one that gives the shareholders a good deal.

Same thoughts as me. I’m unsure why most folks seem to question lows capabilities and motivations, and not Beattie and co.  

In terms of quality I can’t believe anyone actually thinks Michael Robertson or our ex chair with her deficit balance sheet in her own business (and by all accounts trying to repeat the trick at our club) measure up to someone like Norman Springford. 

Motivations aside, the quality on the board has improved today. And we have a finance guy on there which has to be good. 

Edited by jaf
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, blakey said:

Same thoughts as me. I’m unsure why most folks seem to question lows capabilities and motivations, and not Beattie and co.  

Beattie, Springfield and co are proven business men who have run successfully businesses and Thistle at a profit.

Lowes companies (inc THistle last year)have ran at a deficit.

Robertson has been struck of previously and his companies also ran at a deficit.

Add to that Beattie and co put their money where there mouth was and invested, Lowe and pals never

Just now, Norgethistle said:

Beattie, Springfield and co are proven business men who have run successfully businesses and Thistle at a profit.

Robertson has been struck of previously and his companies also ran at a deficit.

Add to that Beattie and co put their money where there mouth was and invested, Lowe and pals never

The board is better today but this is a stop gap 

10 minutes ago, jaf said:

In terms of quality I can’t believe anyone actually thinks Michael Robertson or our ex chair with her deficit balance sheet in her own business (and by all accounts trying to repeat the trick at thistle) measure up to someone like Norman Springford. 

Motivations aside, the quality on the board has improved today. And we have a finance guy on there which has to be good. 

This ^

Give me the involvement of a successful multi-millionaire businessman like Norman Springford over a guy who ran a few pubs and an ex-Tory adviser who runs a (seemingly struggling) small PR firm any day of the week, please. 

Edited by KemoAvdiu
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Norgethistle said:

Im not as familiar with their relative work histories. Thanks for making that point.

im still concerned that their current motivation is to make money from selling their shares.

i think the way you view today’s events really depends on whether you think Beattie et al are motivated to cause correct the running of the club, or to make some money from selling off their shares.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm broadly in favour of the (seemingly now inevitable)  external investment....cynically I would say Beattie has played his hand very well, see the ship starting to sink and jump off, let Low and co take the shit for the financial mess that had been created and then come back in as a white knight figure.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ancipital said:

Whilst I'm broadly in favour of the (seemingly now inevitable)  external investment....cynically I would say Beattie has played his hand very well, see the ship starting to sink and jump off, let Low and co take the shit for the financial mess that had been created and then come back in as a white knight figure.

The facts would dispute that, namely that the club made a profit in Beattie’s last year in charge. 

Beattie did not make some of the nonsensical financial decisions the board made last season and I doubt ever presided over a loss of the size we might see in the 2019 accounts. 

6 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

I’ll be surprised javejag, if the takeover goes ahead that Caldwell will be the manager.

I think the prospective new owners will want to put their own people in place , especially on the football side to buy into their philosophy. Possibly explains the lack of signings at this moment?

I was told a European manager is already lined up but, from what I've read about the Americans, I think Caldwell would fit in well with their business model.

I won't be surprised if he is kept on.

28 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Was Springfield not involved with the board when Campbell was given his bumper 3 year deal as manager so I guess no one is infallible 

2 minutes ago, kevin energy said:

If we are being lined up by the new board to be sold will the new owners be Chien Lee & Co or Someone else ?

I assume it’s Chien and Conway who have made the formal approach .....I took the statement to mean shareholders might sell to them if they thought it was good for the club and I guess that’s the next stage 

• admin locked this topic