New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I’d echo everything Norge said about the now previous BoD & goings on over the past 12 months. I’d also add the training ground fiasco which although hasn’t cost the club any money as such has been an embarrassment to all involved & the name PTFC & McParland are involved in that. 

However I’m not entirely sure of the potential takeover.

From twitter: Barnsley join a growing list of clubs who are organising borrowing from banks & other financial institutions effectively mortgaged on the club assets #Tykes

You begin to wonder if we’re jumping from the frying pan to the fire. 

I guess you could argue with Propco in a way the mortgaging against the assets has already partially taken place. But I’m not convinced about the new consortium & what they can add to PTFC. 

We’re a mid to bottom half premiership team who have a (very) occasional cup run. At this moment we’re under achieving but if we’re a feeder club where is that going to take us.

Are we looking at a Watford type model that we’re full of loan players & a different coach each year?

Like I said, frying pan...

42F020AA-ACAC-4F06-9CB2-E562A27B7E11.jpeg

8864263A-CEBB-4044-8CC4-004DC1234A9B.jpeg

7C501DA3-5A13-44F2-A69B-299BDB77F23F.jpeg

The consortium don’t own Barnsley ps ground the previous family owners do, so what assets are there ?  How much are the charges ?

You think a bank is going to lend us millions ? Secured against what half a football stadium with ni planning g in a crap site ?

watford pretty bad example !

14 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I don't see the training ground as an embarassment.  It's planning and councils.  Slow.  Bureaucratic.  Illogical to the lay person but demands for information mean they need to tell fans probably to early.

The fault may not actually lie with the council other than they rejected the planning application based on various issues. 

12 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

I don't see the training ground as an embarassment.  It's planning and councils.  Slow.  Bureaucratic.  Illogical to the lay person but demands for information mean they need to tell fans probably to early.

It’s been a shambles- that’s just excusing the previous BoD. 

The land was bought after they spoke to whoever that told them it was good to go. You don’t spend £3m+ on a cow field in mid of nowhere with doing due diligence.

As for demands for information, I don’t see where there has ever been a clamour from fans looking for info on it & if there has been then surely a statement highlighting planning bureaucracy would have been sufficient for the lay person?

2 minutes ago, Trotter said:

It’s been a shambles- that’s just excusing the previous BoD. 

The land was bought after they spoke to whoever that told them it was good to go. You don’t spend £3m+ on a cow field in mid of nowhere with doing due diligence.

As for demands for information, I don’t see where there has ever been a clamour from fans looking for info on it & if there has been then surely a statement highlighting planning bureaucracy would have been sufficient for the lay person?

You just don't get it, The training ground had nothing to do with PTFC apart from the agreement that we would be the sole tenants.

7 minutes ago, scotty said:

You just don't get it, The training ground had nothing to do with PTFC apart from the agreement that we would be the sole tenants.

If the takeover goes ahead , I’m not so sure there will be any supposed training ground at all , where does Colin Weir fit in to this new consortiums plans ? or does Colin Weir even want to be part of it ?

Edited by jlsarmy

27 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The consortium don’t own Barnsley ps ground the previous family owners do, so what assets are there ?  How much are the charges ?

You think a bank is going to lend us millions ? Secured against what half a football stadium with ni planning g in a crap site ?

watford pretty bad example !

The bank not going to lend us millions but neither is Mr Lee & co. 

Why does Mr Lee & co want PTFC?

Do you think any potential owner going to buy half a stadium? This is Propco end game also.

From my albeit limited understanding, Mr Lee & co gets their initial investment back by remortgaging the ground. The club then pays the charges.

Its what the Glazers did on a grand scale at Man U.

As for Watford being a bad example... I meant in the sense that very few of the players are ours as such to sell on.  Then there’s the head coach/manager... Barnsley have had 4 in the 2 seasons since New City Capital bought the controlling interest in them. Strong & stable it ain’t!!

Someone else mentioned the SFA & dual ownership rules. I’m sure we’ll hear more on this over next few weeks. 

8 minutes ago, scotty said:

For crying out loud!!!

I’m highlighting that the BoD (including the 3 black cats/JLow) made an almighty **** up of that also. 

I know that it didn’t cost the football club money but another example of the ineptitude of the previous BoD.

5 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If the takeover goes ahead , I’m not so sure there will be any supposed training ground at all , where does Colin Weir fit in to this new consortiums plans ? or does Colin Weir even want to be part of it ?

I don’t know the definitive answer to that but I suspect the answer is ‘no’.

My 2 cents worth- expect him to continue with ThistleWeir for the next few years that he’s already committed the money to but after that I think he’ll sever all ties. 

Health issues, divorce, bad advice.... I can’t see him wanting to continue to throw money into a football club in which he has no say & wasn’t even his first love. 

13 minutes ago, Trotter said:

The bank not going to lend us millions but neither is Mr Lee & co. 

Why does Mr Lee & co want PTFC?

Do you think any potential owner going to buy half a stadium? This is Propco end game also.

From my albeit limited understanding, Mr Lee & co gets their initial investment back by remortgaging the ground. The club then pays the charges.

Its what the Glazers did on a grand scale at Man U.

As for Watford being a bad example... I meant in the sense that very few of the players are ours as such to sell on.  Then there’s the head coach/manager... Barnsley have had 4 in the 2 seasons since New City Capital bought the controlling interest in them. Strong & stable it ain’t!!

Someone else mentioned the SFA & dual ownership rules. I’m sure we’ll hear more on this over next few weeks. 

Never said Lee would give us millions ....I suspect he won’t 

footballing reasons as outlined in the jags trust statement 

propco no idea possibly but you dont know 

who is going to remortgage our ground ?

we are not Man U or a big club so different financial rules apply 

watfird fans are happy and they are not part of the chien model 

dual ownership ?! How many clubs do man city own ?

16 minutes ago, Trotter said:

For crying out loud!!!

I’m highlighting that the BoD (including the 3 black cats/JLow) made an almighty **** up of that also. 

I know that it didn’t cost the football club money but another example of the ineptitude of the previous BoD.

Sorry I take it back. You do get it but you choose to twist it to suit yourself.

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

Never said Lee would give us millions ....I suspect he won’t 

footballing reasons as outlined in the jags trust statement 

propco no idea possibly but you dont know 

who is going to remortgage our ground ?

we are not Man U or a big club so different financial rules apply 

watfird fans are happy and they are not part of the chien model 

dual ownership ?! How many clubs do man city own ?

I very much doubt it also.

The Jags Trust from being almost ‘invisible’  are now being pro active. I suspect they’re being played beautifully in all this (my opinion).

Likewise but just so happens the guys who own Propco also own the shares & are also the ones (supposedly) wanting out/sell their shares. Would you buy a club with half a ground? Like I said, suspect this is Propco end game.

New City Capital perhaps.

Club size doesn’t matter. Does it matter whether you’re buying a 1 bed flat or 30 acres of land. Banks are back to the- If you’re good for it then bank will lend secured against assets.

Watford maybe not best example but it’s the model that popped into my head. If we were a mid table premiership team then I’d be happy also!!

How many other clubs do Man City own in UK? That’s difference.

8 minutes ago, scotty said:

Sorry I take it back. You do get it but you choose to twist it to suit yourself.

Pray tell... how am I twisting it? It’s another example of poor decision making from previous BoD. The PTFC name associated with that whether we like it or not. 

Everything from the handling of budgets, Erskine & Doolan departures, Caldwell appointment (I mean the guy in Wigan as much as he is in Glasgow) has been a negative for JLow chairmanship in past 12 months.

That said, I’m definitely no fan of previous BoD but wary of a takeover. 

4 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Pray tell... how am I twisting it? It’s another example of poor decision making from previous BoD. The PTFC name associated with that whether we like it or not. 

Everything from the handling of budgets, Erskine & Doolan departures, Caldwell appointment (I mean the guy in Wigan as much as he is in Glasgow) has been a negative for JLow chairmanship in past 12 months.

That said, I’m definitely no fan of previous BoD but wary of a takeover. 

That doesn't leave much room for anything you do like.

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Does anyone know if it’s true that we can’t apparesign any more players until the sale of the club goes through?

Depends on where you heard it. If it was an official club statement then yes, someone does know if it's true.  Anything else then there's a good chance that no-one knows.

12 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Does anyone know if it’s true that we can’t apparesign any more players until the sale of the club goes through?

Given we have been signing players as negotiations have been ongoing then that seems unlikely. 

It does amuse me though, that people seem more concerned about signing a striker than about the long-term future and ownership of the club. 

26 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

It is going to be difficult to discuss with player / agents if the CEO has left the club? [I only say that as I see that according to P&B, GB has gone!]

Even if Gerry Britton is still the CEO, he is going to have issues in trying to sell the idea of joining a club that may within the next few weeks be changing it's board of directors, it's CEO and even it's manager.

35 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

That has not been the case for any other club changing ownership. Hibs didn't have a problem and Rangers have signed players while the ownership changed on a weekly basis. Why do you think that might be the case ?

As others have said, getting players to commit to us may be more of an issue.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That has not been the case for any other club changing ownership. Hibs didn't have a problem and Rangers have signed players while the ownership changed on a weekly basis. Why do you think that might be the case ?

I think players not signing due to ownership is overdone .... the contracts the thing ... you just as easily can say new owners might make you more attractive 

40 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Think certainly with the Hibs takeover, talk had been ongoing for a while and the whole structure of their club isn’t going to change drastically .

All the talk about feeder clubs etc puts our club into a totally different perspective and that’s where it might be hard to attract players just now .

Just now, jlsarmy said:

Think certainly with the Hibs takeover, talk had been ongoing for a while and the whole structure of their club isn’t going to change drastically .

All the talk about feeder clubs etc puts our club into a totally different perspective and that’s where it might be hard to attract players just now .

And where exactly has the feeder Club idea come from ? My understanding is that there has been no detailed discussions with potential New Owners beyond Shareholders confirming they are willing to consider selling there shares - pretty much thats it - so whilst we do now know a formal approach has been made - until such times as detailed discussions take place everyone ( including I would guess our New Board ) is guessing ref the Plans - its not 100% guarantee that once they look at the Club in detail it fits there model     

But one thing is for sure - the Shareholders have the Right to listen to offers - The Club has to accommodate this in every way - whilst as Fans we have views - those who parted with there cash own the Club - ignore them at your peril   

• admin locked this topic