New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

2 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

Where’s your evidence that miller is not interested given that a competitive ball has not been kicked? 

Dundee fans on P&B stating how he played and acted there last season. I doubt he's going to miraculously change now.

You also think Doolan was "stagnating" here with 6 goals in 30 games. Miller had 8 in 33 last year. If that's what GC thinks will win us anything then god help us.

We've also got an incredibly thin squad just like this time last year, which means inevitably we're going to be doing some desperation journeymen signings just like last year.

I can't see much difference between Barnsley reserves and what we've got apart from the stink of bigotry.

21 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Perhaps Mr Lee is a secret Clyde supporter and just wants to buy us to bring us down 

(It's as valid as any other suggestion that has been put forward)

I used to play 5s with an East Stirlingshire supporter whose plan on becoming a multi-millionaire was to first buy Falkirk and run them into the ground.   Thus clearing way for the Shire to rule.  

I really need to look that guy up as it seems he has come into some money and is implementing part one of his plan...  

5 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

Dundee fans on P&B stating how he played and acted there last season. I doubt he's going to miraculously change now.

You also think Doolan was "stagnating" here with 6 goals in 30 games. Miller had 8 in 33 last year. If that's what GC thinks will win us anything then god help us.

We've also got an incredibly thin squad just like this time last year, which means inevitably we're going to be doing some desperation journeymen signings just like last year.

I can't see much difference between Barnsley reserves and what we've got apart from the stink of bigotry.

Ok ....miller stated he was unhappy at Dundee let’s wait and see how he plays for us before we rush to judgement ....

doolan had not played well for two seasons and even Archie hardly played him let’s watch and see how he does at Ayr... I remember this time last season he was going to score goals for fun according to some people well he didn’t 

Caldwell said yesterday we are trying to sign three players currently and the transfer window has weeks to go so let’s wait and see where we are in September 

you’ve never seen Barnsley’s reserves 

9 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

I don't understand your last sentence. We may have problems but bigotry is not one of them. 

10 minutes ago, West of Scotland said:

There was no reason why Doolan shouldn’t have been part of things whether Kenny Miller was signed or not .

• Like 2

On 7/11/2019 at 4:48 PM, Norgethistle said:

It appears to read that way. It appears that the fans may have be led a merry wee dance by our (now ex) Chairperson.

Im expecting all the skeletons to come out the cupboard over next week or so.

I can hear rattling of bones already 

10 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

At this point of time, on the eve of a new season, it's looking clearer to me that the bigger crime was not in the way the Club handled Doolan's departure more in the fact he was released in the first place. Previously I was in the fair decision badly handled camp.

Maybe others feel his season as a youth team coach was worthless, no more than a sinecure. Myself, I don't only differ re that view but also feel we've lost not just a  role model but also lost a fair chunk of the spirit of the Club. I realise I should be waiting until Aug 31st to air my views but gut feeling is telling me logic outweighs sentiment. Time will maybe tell.

Adding a like didn't seem to be sufficient for your post LiB.

As I stated in previous posts I have managed to get myself into a mental place where I'm starting, with my attitude to GC with fresh eyes for the season.

The Doolan issue still rankles. We lost a chunk of our identity when John lambie retired, of that generation we also lost a part of our identity when chico moved on. There are many people around the club I could say that about through various generations. I put the loss of dools up there with lambie retiring. I'm relieved at the changes in the board room, i speculate with friend about who was responsible for various poor decisions but the dools one is foremost in most discussions. I strongly suspect, and may never know the truth, that GC didn't get rid of dools for footballing decisions. It was because dools was always going to be bigger and more popular and have more influence that himself. Jlow was too weak and allowed GC his way. It's done now, and like all true Thistle fans, I'm supporting the team and GC but I'll not forget how a true legend was treated. I just hope the apathy at games amongst the fans from large chunks of last season has recovered. 

4 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

As I stated in previous posts I have managed to get myself into a mental place where I'm starting, with my attitude to GC with fresh eyes for the season.

The Doolan issue still rankles. We lost a chunk of our identity when John lambie retired, of that generation we also lost a part of our identity when chico moved on. There are many people around the club I could say that about through various generations. I put the loss of dools up there with lambie retiring. I'm relieved at the changes in the board room, i speculate with friend about who was responsible for various poor decisions but the dools one is foremost in most discussions. I strongly suspect, and may never know the truth, that GC didn't get rid of dools for footballing decisions. It was because dools was always going to be bigger and more popular and have more influence that himself. Jlow was too weak and allowed GC his way. It's done now, and like all true Thistle fans, I'm supporting the team and GC but I'll not forget how a true legend was treated. I just hope the apathy at games amongst the fans from large chunks of last season has recovered. 

Ran out of likes. Lets hope we have a good season.:fan:

1 minute ago, Auld Jag said:

Ran out of likes. Lets hope we have a good season.:fan:

Me too. Sometimes when you least expect it things just come together.

4 minutes ago, Thistleberight said:

Thistle Bright , think you’ve nailed it it’s the “ Gary Caldwell show “ whether we like it or not 

11 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I’ve supported thistle long enough to know that pre season results, player signings etc are no prediction of anything !!

we will see after s few games how we are shaping up 

I have supported Thistle long enough to know the only predictable thing about us is our unpredictably.

1 hour ago, West of Scotland said:

You might be right about miller all I’m saying is that until the competitive foil starts we really won’t know 

56 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Thistle Bright , think you’ve nailed it it’s the “ Gary Caldwell show “ whether we like it or not 

You put it far better than me jls.

He's just that kind of character, and sometimes that type of person is what is needed for success and when the tough decisions are needing to be made people who don't care what others think of them can be of benefit. The obvious downside to such  a narcissistic character is the inability to take step back and see the bigger picture, nor readily take advice from others and change or tailor your decision making, as is evident with the doolan debacle. 

Old ground, I'll change the record. Not my kinda person but if he bring us success I guess I'll put up and shut up.

3 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Well the new board certainly don't mess about.

That only leaves Ian Dodd and Malcolm Cannon from the board of a few weeks ago. Ian is a close associate of David Beattie so I would imagine will be safe but I don't think it will be long until Malcolm gets fired!

We dont know if Roughie was fired or simply decided that it wasn't for him - always thought it a strange appointment in the first place  

3 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

We dont know if Roughie was fired or simply decided that it wasn't for him - always thought it a strange appointment in the first place  

Thanks Jim this just confirms I have no future in comedy!

Malcolm Cannon to be fired - well I thought it was funny!

• Haha 2

On 7/13/2019 at 11:24 AM, Auld Jag said:

I have supported Thistle long enough to know the only predictable thing about us is our unpredictably.

Maybe the case in the 50s /60s but I think that tag has long since lost any meaning. I can barely think of a match over the last decade where we defied the odds and won.

2 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Didn't think it was that strange at the time. Thought of it as putting someone with some football knowledge and a figurehead/PR type in the boardroom. The fact AR wasn't a shareholder of course didn't make him an oddity. Reckon him leaving the Board will be viewed either as him been guilty by association or part of some Machiavellian posturing by the new team whereas more likely as JJ says being a director simply wasn't for him. Can hardly blame Rough wanting to distance himself.

2 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

Maybe the case in the 50s /60s but I think that tag has long since lost any meaning. I can barely think of a match over the last decade where we defied the odds and won.

Alloa just there at the end of the season?

2 hours ago, One t in Scotland said:

I would say we defied the odds by coming from well behind Morton to win the league 12/13 season. I know we had a number of games in hand and a fog machine to help us. Also reaching top 6  16/17 season, nobody predicted. Our fall since then I feel was unpredictable although a few on this forum did predict it. Lets hope we can be unpredictable only in a good way soon.

• admin locked this topic