New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

I wonder if there will be a simple passing reference to the boardroom changes in the programme for the game against Clyde? [more to the point, will there be an actual programme for sale for the Clyde game?]

As these matters are particular to the board and supporters of PTFC perhaps, at a time when these matter can be discussed openly, DB might have a meet the Chairman night along the lines of the recent meet the managers talks?

I'm of the opinion that for now, no news is good news.

I've blown hot and cold over this takeover. I went from no thanks (cos I'm very risk shy and pretty indecisive.............I think!), to a dream like, yes please cos with extra investment we could do a Ross co or st midden or st johnstone and win a trophy in my lifetime.

Then I remember save the jags and the chest pain I felt as chic young broken the news of our pending winding up to the nation, and I revert to a no thanks stance. Is the risk is too great?

Perhaps mediocrity with a sprinkling of occasional over achievement and occasional lows but with the club being financially safe and under trusted guardianship is the way to go. Under that type of regime the right manager and work ethic we could still win a trophy and get to Europe without an unknown risk?

I guess what I'm saying is I'm not too excited by this anymore. The circumstances allowed a situation where the old guard could return with minimal blood letting and the potential take over people got a little media exposure that they are in the market and so perhaps it is dying a natural death.

I see from the BBC that some multi millionaire is looking to buy Falkirk and turn them into a Premiership competitive club. Why all this interest in buying Scottish clubs and they can’t all get the success that they promise, so what happens when their world domination plans fail ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I see from the BBC that some multi millionaire is looking to buy Falkirk and turn them into a Premiership competitive club. Why all this interest in buying Scottish clubs and they can’t all get the success that they promise, so what happens when their world domination plans fail ?

Ayr and united seem to be bankrolled by Americans. Hasn’t done them much good. I totally agree if we all get a wee smattering of wealthy guys’ pocket money, then nobody will be any better off. Would take serious investment to make a difference and who in their right mind is going to do that, other than a euromillions winner. 

1 hour ago, mad-jag said:

Ayr and united seem to be bankrolled by Americans. Hasn’t done them much good. I totally agree if we all get a wee smattering of wealthy guys’ pocket money, then nobody will be any better off. Would take serious investment to make a difference and who in their right mind is going to do that, other than a euromillions winner. 

Or a seriously rich foreigner.

I for one would be more than happy to emulate Leicester City, can you imagine that?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sandbank boy said:

Or a seriously rich foreigner.

I for one would be more than happy to emulate Leicester City, can you imagine that?

Bolton, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Blackburn (with the Venky's) have not done so well

Also, I know a few Leicester supporters and all they do is moan because they are not winning the league every year.

Be careful about what you wish for 

I think people are trying to think about this logically with us as an isolated investment and concluding it would make no sense. 

If you are trying to buy and sell football clubs, you need success stories as convincers. 

The entry level investment in Scotland is probably a minor fraction of what it is in England. More importantly the investment needed to “make a difference” to the success levels and profile of a club like ours compared to an English club is also a tiny fraction. 

Therefore if you want to prove your concept, Scotland is actually a great place to have an opportunity to do it   

Just because others with different models have not yet been successful (for the record the dundee united by guy has only had a few months) does not mean these particular investors cannot be  

Finally on the euro millions winner point that someone made   We are all very good at spending Colin weirs money   It is fantastic what he has done for the club, but it does feel to me a little grubby continually going back to have him pay for x or y , and exploiting his emotional attachment to the club   We should be thankful for what he has done but not have a complacent expectation he will continue to do so  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Also, I know a few Leicester supporters and all they do is moan because they are not winning the league every year.

Be careful about what you wish for 

I expect our fans would show a little more class than that. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, jaf said:

I expect our fans would show a little more class than that. 

Five successive years in the premier and we constantly had fans wanting Archibald out and claiming he was clueless.

It may not be on the same level but success breeds expectation and regardless of what team you support, some people will always expect more. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, allyo said:

Five successive years in the premier and we constantly had fans wanting Archibald out and claiming he was clueless.

It may not be on the same level but success breeds expectation and regardless of what team you support, some people will always expect more. 

And some of us just like a right good moan. It's very true what you say, raised expectation and all that. It's like how most people live within their means, get a wage rise and aren't any better off cos they raise their spending expectations. 

3 hours ago, allyo said:

I don’t think expecting us to be an established is either unreasonable or over demanding.....we have the resources to do that

archie was just kept on too long and got us relegated 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

I don’t think expecting us to be an established is either unreasonable or over demanding.....we have the resources to do that

archie was just kept on too long and got us relegated 

No argument to be fair. I was reluctantly  in agreement with the moaners by the end.

• admin locked this topic