New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

53 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

15:30 – Meet the Manager and Board in the Alan Rough Lounge for a question and answer session.

I’ll be interested to see who turns up as BoD representative. Even more interested if we get straight answers which don’t involve the words “due to ongoing takeover talks”. 

Not GC’s biggest fan but this is going to be helluva awkward. I wouldn’t be at all surprised at a last minute change of plan.

6 hours ago, elevenone said:

If true regards the bus that seems very poor especially as there was cash to fly squad including trialist over to La Manga.

I was parked opposite Alloa's main entrance from 1.30.  I didn't see any bus drop off the team and officials.  What I did see were several players including Fox walking from the direction of Morrison's in dribs and drabs.  At least one (I couldn't identify him) was in a bit of a hurry as it was getting near 2.00.  If there was, indeed, no bus then it's a worry that it could be symptomatic of something going on.  Is it possible the team bus drove in at the "away" car park and dropped the players off?

If it's true that Caldwell has been told proposed signings can't happen - even more worrying - especially after today's performance!

Edited by a f kincaid

6 hours ago, elevenone said:

If true regards the bus that seems very poor especially as there was cash to fly squad including trialist over to La Manga.

Or maybe the previous board sanctioning flying the whole squad plus a trialist over to La Manga is exactly the reason why our finances might be in crap shape?

Alloa is 40 minutes away and a number of our players live on the east coast anyway. No idea whether we had a team bus today or not but if we didn’t then I’ve got absolutely no problem with that. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Or maybe the previous board sanctioning flying the whole squad plus a trialist over to La Manga is exactly the reason why our finances might be in crap shape?

Alloa is 40 minutes away and a number of our players live on the east coast anyway. No idea whether we had a team bus today or not but if we didn’t then I’ve got absolutely no problem with that. 

How do you know for sure the finances are definitely in crap shape? No figures been released 

11 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

I would hope a full time club our size would always use a team bus regardless of venue.  Being a team should mean traveling to the game together, playing the game together, and leaving together.

9 minutes ago, KemoAvdiu said:

Get that , but if you’re going to go down that road ( no pun intended) , it’s only a matter of time when one of the player’s car breaks down, accident on the motorway etc, we’re meant to be a professional football club .

Recipe for disaster IMO 

7 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

How do you know for sure the finances are definitely in crap shape? No figures been released 

I don’t. I said “might be”. Presumably if there’s no team bus then it’s for cost reasons, and not because the new board just don’t like buses. 

26 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Get that , but if you’re going to go down that road ( no pun intended) , it’s only a matter of time when one of the player’s car breaks down, accident on the motorway etc, we’re meant to be a professional football club .

Recipe for disaster IMO 

That could happen if players have to travel by car to Firhill to get the team bus as well, especially if some do live on the east coast

4 minutes ago, jaggy said:

That could happen if players have to travel by car to Firhill to get the team bus as well, especially if some do live on the east coast

If the team bus breaks down on the way to the game , the match is held back for 15 mins , they won’t do that if one or two players are late .

2 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

If the team bus breaks down on the way to the game , the match is held back for 15 mins , they won’t do that if one or two players are late .

I meant the players might not make it to Firhill in time for the bus rather than the bus having a problem :D

1 hour ago, KemoAvdiu said:

46 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Recipe for disaster IMO 

I played a few games (good few years back) for a 3rd Division team. We always got a coach to away games.  Usually there were various pick up/drop off points along the way but you were expected to make it to that point. Crowwood Hotel was always a favourite.  You normally only took as many as needed for game. Sometimes played with one less sub as warm up injuries etc.

Home games everyone there from the YTS boys to a the couple extra bodies who weren’t chosen that day. 

Now as I said that was a good few years & a 3rd Division club. Surely no one is trying to justify no coach being in place this afternoon?

Something badly wrong behind the scenes imo.

29 minutes ago, Trotter said:

I played a few games (good few years back) for a 3rd Division team. We always got a coach to away games.  Usually there were various pick up/drop off points along the way but you were expected to make it to that point. Crowwood Hotel was always a favourite.  You normally only took as many as needed for game. Sometimes played with one less sub as warm up injuries etc.

Home games everyone there from the YTS boys to a the couple extra bodies who weren’t chosen that day. 

Now as I said that was a good few years & a 3rd Division club. Surely no one is trying to justify no coach being in place this afternoon?

If there’s something wrong financially it won’t be the fault of the new board who have been in charge for a couple of weeks. It’ll be the fault of those that have just been papped off the board (but who I am sure are continuing to feed stories to some chosen fans to undermine the process that’s now underway). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trotter said:

The new board have been in place for 3 weeks so if any financial issues are there it won’t caused by them but may be uncovered by them.

As for bus to game, several teams in our league have players travel to away games themselves depending on location. Why have guys drive from Edinburgh or Dundee to Glasgow to bus back to Stirling? 

23 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

The new board have been in place for 3 weeks so if any financial issues are there it won’t caused by them but may be uncovered by them.

As for bus to game, several teams in our league have players travel to away games themselves depending on location. Why have guys drive from Edinburgh or Dundee to Glasgow to bus back to Stirling? 

Sorry, don’t go along with that , what happened to the pre match meal etc  , the team bus fosters team spirit and should get the players up for the game .

We’re behaving like a ramshackle amateur outfit .

• Like 1

Think this whole takeover pish will affect us if it's not sorted out quickly. That's no excuse for today but it clearly can't help anything!

Opening day of the season a draw away from home is not the end of the world, it's the way we played that's worrying  people imo.

I don't really care what anyone says .. this will affect performances and  the manager. Caldwell had 100% backing from Jaqui Lowe.. He seemed  confident and seemed to have a plan for the season. I some how think that plan has been put into touch slightly and he will be feeling a bit like the rest of us.. clueless to what is actually happening.. 

The rumours about the bus and the transfers I get the feeling someone putting bait out for another official statement as it seems to be the only time we get a response is when the rumours start  getting worrying.

We need ther take over to happen in the next 2 weeks or not happen at all imo. If this takeover was to happen and the new owners were willing to give us a bigger budget I'm afraid we have missed the boat with soime signings.

Swampland will be the only reason Dundee United have a chance of going up. 

27 minutes ago, Thistle88 said:

Opening day of the season a draw away from home is not the end of the world, 

We were playing a part time team who are joint favourites for relegation. Whilst it may not be the end of the world, it is far from an acceptable result. Maybe except for those who celebrated the mediocrity of last season.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Big Col said:

We were playing a part time team who are joint favourites for relegation. Whilst it may not be the end of the world, it is far from an acceptable result. Maybe except for those who celebrated the mediocrity of last season.

I wasn't dismissing that at all, first games of the season can be unpredictable I h but I think we drew because of Caldwells starting 11 and formation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Are there not a couple of the old board members still here? I thought only 3 left. To a date Beattie was the old board.

by the way did we not receive the Fitzpatrick and Lindsay money about the time the new board were brought in

59 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Are there not a couple of the old board members still here? I thought only 3 left. To a date Beattie was the old board.

by the way did we not receive the Fitzpatrick and Lindsay money about the time the new board were brought in

I think this is one of the reasons I don't believe these rumours.  We have Liams sell on fee and Aidens fee coming in this season. 

I actually get the impression they didn't want that money to be in JL etcs hands.

We deserve to know what's going on.

I’ve read elsewhere that the last time we were in the second tier the Club didn’t *always* have a bus to get to games, especially if they were local.

On the one hand, seems perfectly sensible not to spend money unnecessarily to take 20 people half an hour up the road.

On the other hand, if the club’s being forced to make decisions like that (and place it even in the context of cost cutting measures like the Colin Weir Stand getting shut) that does suggest a degree of financial frailty and pressure.

I still have a sneaky suspicion that this consortium will take one look at our 2018-19 accounts when published and disappear as soon as they arrived.

9 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

You’ve kind of answered your own point here. One of the pick up points then would’ve been Stirling services.

9 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Sorry, don’t go along with that , what happened to the pre match meal etc  , the team bus fosters team spirit and should get the players up for the game .

We’re behaving like a ramshackle amateur outfit .

This. Even if we’re dropping pre match meal for away games (what’s point of sports science then?!) it’s all about professionalism. You wouldn’t expect players to turn up in their own clothes/designer trackies. You arrive together as a team. Show of unity. Professionalism. 

Next week’s open day will provide no new info I’ll bet. Just more sound bytes.

The fans are being pushed aside & to a large extent we’ve let it happen. When fan representation at board meetings was withdrawn, the writing on the wall imo.

Beattie & co no longer interested in the future of the club, they’re interested in their future & their investments including propco.

Falkirk fans are taking notice of their new owners past business. Thistle fans... most I know are thinking this new guy going to splash the cash. Like the Weirs- ain’t happening.

What could he want with a Championship Scottish club when he’s got Barnsley & selling Nice? It’s not for the weather anyway. Nor is it fir TV money even if we reach premiership again.

Indent know the answer & having been no fan of the 3BC or Caldwell I think we’re damned if we do & damned if we don’t.

• Like 1

• admin locked this topic