New Owner

Jag

Message added by douglas clark

'Tis not the job of a moderator to stop people writing here. The rules are pretty simple:

reported ad hominem attacks will be investigated (and if found to be true) or write stuff that could get the site into trouble

and you'll either be warned / your post deleted, or - worst case scenario -  banned either temporarily or permanently.

This particular thread has had a vigorous exchange of views, and perhaps more heat than light. But the quality of the debate - it seems to me at least - is down to the lack of information.  That, in and of itself, means that whatever side you happen to be on is for a fan, very frustrating.

So, I have no intention of closing threads just because the quality of the postings isn't great. That is not the role of a moderator.

If you wake up the following morning you can always delete something you wish you'd never said.

Just now, alexander livingstone said:

We have a X director from the old board on Facebook saying the finances were in n order when they were ousted,now we are told the club is the in serious financial trouble.what do we believe

I’m not sure we are being told the club is in financial trouble I didn’t  read that in the article 

1 hour ago, Dark Passenger said:

Seems to be, yeah.

It's strange to think that, if memory serves me well, Beattie was one of the main opponents to greater fan representation. 

My guess is the Trust is being played and will be dropped like hot s**t once it's served its purpose.

Its hot tottie !

38 minutes ago, dougie247 said:

HERALDSPORT understands that Partick Thistle manager Gary Caldwell has had his transfer budget pulled, as an insider called the day-to-day running of the club “a shambles”.

Alarm bells are ringing among Thistle staff around a proposed takeover of the club by NewCity Capital, the investment firm headed by businessman Chien Lee, who also have controlling stakes in the English Championship club and French side OGC Nice.

Sources within Firhill have claimed that the prospective new owners are not treating promotion to the Premiership as a priority this season, and that new chairman David Beattie has withheld money Caldwell was promised by the previous board to build a side that could challenge for the title.

It is believed that a figure of around £200,000 was still remaining in the transfer budget, and that Caldwell had earmarked four further arrivals to supplement his squad for a promotion push. HeraldSport understands though that the Thistle management have now been told that any further players will come from the fringes of the Barnsley squad on loan once the takeover is completed, and they will have no further money to spend.

That is despite the sale of youngster Aidan Fitzpatrick to Norwich City for £300,000, and the club banking a similar figure from a sell-on clause that was triggered upon Liam Lindsay’s move to Stoke City from Barnsley this summer.

The Scottish football authorities are currently performing due diligence around the proposed takeover of Thistle, specifically around rules relating to dual ownership.

The Thistle players and staff were forced to make their own way to Alloa for Saturday’s Championship opener, and the squad and management team remain unclear over whether this will be a standing arrangement throughout the season for away games.

Meanwhile, HeraldSport can also reveal that plans for Thistle’s training ground have been shelved after problems in gaining planning permission. East Dunbartonshire Council insisted that the club foot the bill for new roads around the potential site in Kirkintilloch, but Thistle were unwilling to meet the cost of doing so.

Colin Weir, the Euromillions winner who has bankrolled the club’s Thistle Weir Academy, was a driving force behind the proposed new training ground as director of the ‘Three Black Cats’ group. He has however now ended his involvement with the club following the removal of close friend Jacqui Low as chairman and the re-appointment of Beattie, meaning the search for an alternative site is now dead.

Beattie had stated that he would be contacting Weir to discuss his ongoing involvement in the club, but that approach has been rebuffed by Weir.

Partick Thistle have been contacted for comment and are expected to respond soon.

can we stop the puns befo

Players and staff had to make their own way to Alloa? No wonder they weren't at their best.  That's outrageous.

Probably right. I'm more worried by the Barnsley references.  Sounds like the feeder club theory could be right.

Long term purpose of Partick Thistle concerns me more than immediate prospects for the season.

Edited by allyo

5 minutes ago, javeajag said:

I think people are confusing the cutback on spending as indicating we are in financial trouble when it’s the new owners basically putting everything on hold 

It is worth remembering the old board started cutbacks too. For example, the closure of the Colin Weir Stand.

There would probably have been less of a season ticket up take if Supporters knew promotion was not an objective.  I pay regardless but it’s still likely to put some off.

i joined the centenary fund and was led to believe that money would go to the players fund that’s clearly not happening 

presumably if promotion is not an objective then Caldwell’s target is to avoid relegation 

mare Chien Lee and Conway even going to be at PTFC at all? 

In light of the revelations surely there’s got to be the reinstatement of the board q and a on Saturday 

14 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

There would probably have been less of a season ticket up take if Supporters knew promotion was not an objective.  I pay regardless but it’s still likely to put some off.

i joined the centenary fund and was led to believe that money would go to the players fund that’s clearly not happening 

presumably if promotion is not an objective then Caldwell’s target is to avoid relegation 

mare Chien Lee and Conway even going to be at PTFC at all? 

In light of the revelations surely there’s got to be the reinstatement of the board q and a on Saturday 

Caldwell will be gone before Christmas to make way for the new owners puppet manager. 

Logical theory, as I see it. I am very much not in the know.

Club was ticking along under the old directors. No real drama.

Prospective new owners come along.

Shareholders heads are turned by what's on offer from prospective owners, and see an opportunity for big return on investment.

Existing board are hesitant, seeing potential pitfalls and having no vested interest in encouraging the takeover.

Owners don't want to miss their big opportunity, so oust the board to clear the way.

Owners (new board) as Thistle people, convince themselves that, despite potential concerns, the takeover could be good, to avoid feeling guilty.

New Board make case that old board were failing, to get fans on side. 

New Board uses JT and in the know friends to sell the potential benefits of the takeover to the fans.

Meanwhile within the club everything is going to pot as the focus is on getting a sale through.

Someone leaks this from within.

Here we are.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

How do you know we are and some of the money wasn’t being used to extend contract. Or did your mole tell you that

Article states £200k for 4 players targeted by Caldwell .

The fact there is £200k available doesn’t mean we can afford it, this could be a gamble based on winning promotion.

This story could also be fabricated from someone who has an axe to grind with new board

I’ve not heard a peep from inside the club in last 3-4 weeks, neither has anyone I know.

Strange the leaks which were coming thick and fast for last year stopped immediately there was a regime change.

4 minutes ago, allyo said:

Shareholders heads are turned by what's on offer from prospective owners, and see an opportunity for big return on investment.

Existing board are hesitant, seeing potential pitfalls and having no vested interest in encouraging the takeover.

Owners don't want to miss their big opportunity, so oust the board to clear the way.

Owners (new board) as Thistle people, convince themselves that, despite potential concerns, the takeover could be good, to avoid feeling guilty.

New Board uses JT and in the know friends to sell the potential benefits of the takeover to the fans.

Meanwhile within the club everything is going to pot as the focus is on getting a sale through.

Here we are.

That's my take on it, too.

17 minutes ago, scotty said:

One thing that would concern me is the future of the acadamy rather than whether we have a training facility or not. If Colin Weir is distancing himself from Thistle will he also distance himself from Thistle Weir?

Of course Colin Weir will distance himself from the Academy, does anyone in their right mind think he’s going to fund a perceived multi millionaire.    As regards the Academy it has to be cost effective with the plan that there is a pathway to the first team for the youngsters, that is not happening as it falls down when the youngsters reach 17 or 18 and we haven’t got the money to offer them a professional contract.

Think Jaqui Low is taking a lot of flak and some of it is justified, the appointment of Caldwell who in my opinion has no clue what our Club is all about and isn’t a very good manager into the bargain, the treatment of Erskine and Doolan and how they left our Club but I’ve my doubts whether Beattie and his friends have come out of retirement for the best interests of our Club, IMO they’ve come back to cash in their shares with little or no objections from the now sitting Board regardless of how it all pans out .

Very sad state of affairs.

6 minutes ago, allyo said:

Here we are.

Nailed it .

1 minute ago, West of Scotland said:

I'm hardly Caldwell's biggest fan but if all this is true he should jump before he's pushed, and distance himself from what sounds like the Hindenberg.

If I was Caldwell I would walk , his biggest ally has gone in Jaqui Low and he would leave with his perceived reputation intact because success this year will be staying in the league. 

Similarly I have no insider knowledge but from a playing perspective this looks dismal long term. We are miles away from being the club Barnsley are. I see this whole thing as a way to develop other teams players for the new owners.

Bear minimum investment will be made to keep us ticking over with no owner ambition to achieve anything on the pitch.

We'll simply be a vehicle to give other teams players competitive game time to make the new owners money on player sales.

Nice - £19million up this summer

Barnsley - £3million up.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

Article states £200k for 4 players targeted by Caldwell .

The fact there is £200k available doesn’t mean we can afford it, this could be a gamble based on winning promotion.

This story could also be fabricated from someone who has an axe to grind with new board

I’ve not heard a peep from inside the club in last 3-4 weeks, neither has anyone I know.

Strange the leaks which were coming thick and fast for last year stopped immediately there was a regime change.

Just as the innuendos against the old board could have been made by someone with an axe to grind, or maybe even someone who doesn’t think women should be involved in running a football club

• admin locked this topic